Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Another unhappy Bear LB

excerpt:

Unhappy about contract, Urlacher may skip workouts

CHICAGO (AP) - Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher might skip the team's voluntary offseason workouts while he seeks a contract extension.

The Chicago Tribune reported that Urlacher planned to miss Monday's first day and perhaps the rest of the workouts, which include organized team activities.

Urlacher can't be fined since the workouts are voluntary. But when linebacker Lance Briggs and former running back Thomas Jones skipped voluntary offseason workouts in 2006, the team demoted them from starting roles for a brief time.

Urlacher has a contract that runs through 2011. He made $3.95 million last season and is slated to make the same amount this season.

Why are contracts a lot of times 'renegotiated' this way instead of using clauses to get there? Make those agents earn their money by having some vision & setting up some future leverage down the road.

The Bears can ill afford this & #54 is not in the best bargaining lane with that chronic back. Could get real ugly by the time this one is over with...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I feel ya Tark. Derrick Brooks did this about 3 or 4 years ago too. A season after he redid his contract to free up some cap room. It's not the player that initiates this s hit it's the agent.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What I believe is fueling this discontent, at least in part, is the Lurie-like, do-nothing posture the Bears' front office has taken this spring.

Clearly, they should have done something about the elephant in the living room at the quarterback position - like approaching the Buccaneers about a trade which would bring Jake Plummer out of his obviously phony retirement?

They can give Brian Urlacher a 49% share of the team - and with what they have at QB they still won't win more than eight or nine games this coming year.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
What I believe is fueling this discontent, at least in part, is the Lurie-like, do-nothing posture the Bears' front office has taken this spring.
Actually it sounds more like what is fueling this is Desmond Clark and Alex Brown getting extensions since the season ended and Urlacher has not been offered one. From ESPN:

Quote:
he Urlacher situation appears to be getting ugly. According to one league source, cited in the Chicago Sun-Times, Urlacher's agents have asked the Bears to explore a trade. Another source says the veteran linebacker is threatening to retire.

In part because of an unresolved contract situation, Urlacher is skipping the Bears' entire voluntary offseason program, and he's threatening to hold out of minicamp, organized team activities and even training camp if he doesn't receive a new deal.

Urlacher's representatives have been in contract discussions with the Bears for the last several weeks, but the sides have yet to reach an agreement. The veteran linebacker is signed through 2011 and is sheduled to make $3.95 million in 2008. Since last season ended, the Bears have given tight end Desmond Clark and Alex Brown multiyear extensions.
Part of me cannot help but wonder if this is just Urlacher looking for one last big payday because he knows his body is starting to give out on him and it is a longshot on him being still being an elite player by the time his current deal runs out in 2011.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Doublee on this one. #54 is feeling neglected & the Bears are being hard line. We see it all the time where a player plays thru injury, starts showing wear & tear & then management looks at it as a business & points out the deteriorating skills either by passing over a player for a possible extension or at the contract table.

These never seem to end happy...
Old 04-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Tell ya what Tark, trade you Brooking for Urlacher straight up. One overrated MLB for another.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote