Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 04-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default Nat'l Championship Trophy Broken

UF Mystery Solved; Plant High Player Admits To Mishap

TAMPA - Gator Nation, the mystery is solved. It was Plant High tight end Orson Charles who broke your 2006 BCS National Championship trophy Friday in Gainesville.

It was, of course, an accident. And Charles said he is genuinely sorry for knocking the handcrafted Waterford crystal off a coffee table and onto the ground, where, just outside of Coach Urban Meyer's office, it shattered.

While in Gainesville competing in a Nike training camp, Charles said he and another prep player were touring the football stadium. That's where the BCS trophy, along with Gators quarterback Tim Tebow's Heisman Trophy, were on display. While leaning over to take a photo of the Heisman, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound Charles said he bumped into the BCS trophy - he thinks with his backside - and knocked it to the ground.

"If you were outside the stadium, it was so loud, I think you would've heard it shatter," Charles said. "Nobody said anything for 10 minutes, then Florida assistant Coach John Hevesy said, 'What do I do? Who do I call? Did you know that was $35,000!'

"I just stood there with this baby look and said, 'Sorry.' Then he joked and said, 'You've got to commit to Florida now.'"

Charles, who will be a senior at Plant next season, has 16 Division I offers. He ranks Miami first on his list, but shortly after breaking the crystal he said Meyer joked about the mishap by asking, "How does it feel to be a Gator?" Charles said Meyer assured him insurance will replace the trophy.

Before Charles broke the trophy, Plant coach Robert Weiner said Meyer asked him to describe Charles. Weiner told Meyer that Charles was a "physical specimen" but sometimes a "bull in a china shop."

"After what happened," Weiner said, "I'm sure Urban now thinks I'm an excellent evaluator of talent." -tbo.com

Ahhhhhh a kid from my Alma Mater. Word is he's going to scUM. What happens if Miami beats UF in a national Championship game while he's there????
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Uh, note to Florida: you keep your trophies encased in glass and bolted to a surface.

Guess when you don't have too many of 'em you don't know how to store 'em correctly.

Tell ya what Mush: bring your boy up to the Woody Hayes Center and I'll show ya how it's done.

:thumbup:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I've heard from my sources he's leaning towards Miami. But, if you agree to meet me up there I'll make it happen. It's not like Meyer would care if I paid for a HS kid to go to OSU...
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
I've heard from my sources he's leaning towards Miami. But, if you agree to meet me up there I'll make it happen. It's not like Meyer would care if I paid for a HS kid to go to OSU...
Meyer would probably pay for it himself. Either that or have Tebow call the kid up and tell him the check is in the mail at next year's Heisman presentation.

:lol:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote