Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 05-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Wall to Kentucky. Calipari is taking over the world.

No. 1 recruit phenom John Wall has committed to UK: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab,164342

Quote:
Turns out, you never underestimate Calipari when it comes to recruiting. He is unstoppable. It's frightening, really. After convincing Patrick Patterson to forgo the NBA -- despite an outside chance of being a lottery pick -- Calipari will bring in four five-star recruits to next year's Kentucky team, including the best player in the country, a guy who plays a little bit like a smoother, ambidextrous Derrick Rose. Kentucky was already going to be good next year. This is terrifying. Not just for other teams; nay, for humanity at large. Calipari, through whatever means, is apparently capable of convincing young men that Memphis and Lexington are truly desirable places to spend a year before heading to the NBA. Let's pray he sticks to basketball. That elevated form of persuasion is not to be trifled with.
Calipari now has the No. 1 AND No. 2 players coming to Lexington. He has several other top recruits in Orton and Bledsoe, so he essentially has two top PGs and top two big men coming in, in addition to Patterson and (likely) Meeks returning. Kentucky will have a starting lineup entirely composed of All-Americans. There are going to be future NBA players coming off the bench. This is the No. 1. recruiting class ever. It's insane. I am pinching myself because this must be a dream.

Kentucky is finally back, a likely preseason No. 1 and this all happened overnight. The 1990s glory days are back, BABY!!!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Apostile
Rookie Player

Apostile is on a distinguished road

Rivals.com calls John Wall the nation’s top prospect, point guard or otherwise. Scout.com calls him the top point guard and the second-best player overall.

And he’s all Kentucky’s.

The Wildcats are expected to get Wall, a 6-foot-4, 180-pound guard from Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, N.C., to sign a national letter of intent today, the final day of the basketball signing period for players who plan on enrolling this fall. That’s largely because they lured coach John Calipari away from Memphis just in time for him to have a major impact. Wall says Calipari is the main reason he’s Lexington-bound.
“It came down to where my heart was,” Wall told rivals.com. “Every time I talked about schools, Coach Cal was the first thing that I always talked about.”
Calipari’s coup sends a message, Dave Telep of scout.com told the News and Observer.
“I think right now everybody’s on notice,” Telep said. “This is old-school Kentucky right now, and the rest of the country has been served notice. This is the real deal. These guys are coming after players, they’re getting guys, and they have a powerful product to sell.”
Apostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

BE Careful Marc. Calipari is one Seedy MFer when it comes to the recruting trail
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Welcome APostile
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
BE Careful Marc. Calipari is one Seedy MFer when it comes to the recruting trail
Yeah, just look at all of the stuff coming out of Memphis all of a sudden since he left town. It looks like a very real possibility they will have to vacate their Final Four appearance from a couple of years ago which if that happens Calipari will be two for two in vacated Final Four appearances.

The thing is I don't know that it is so much that Calipari does shady things on the recruiting trail but that he has a knack for recruiting players with sketchy character.

Rose's test scores are being called into question and it appears he was eligible based on a forged transcript record and Robert Dozier was not allowed into UGA because of what is believed to be an invalid SAT score.

The main reason Calipari stayed in Memphis as opposed to jumping to NC State was because the ACC has higher standards than Conference USA does in regards to its players academic backgrounds in high school. Lee Fowler, NCSU's AD, told Calipari that half of the roster in Memphis would never have been admitted to State and that sealed the deal for him going back to Memphis.

Wall is a great talent but keep in mind he played for like 3 or 4 different high schools and was ineligible for the McD's game becuase he is a fifth year high school student. That is not to say he won't give them a great year before heading to the NBA but he comes with some baggage and something of a sketchy background.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Calipari wasn't involved in this situation, as far as I know. He's clean and not at risk. So...

It's high risk, high reward, and after years of mediocrity, I am willing to accept it, as is most of Wildcat Nation...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Calipari wasn't involved in this situation, as far as I know. He's clean and not at risk. So...
Right but the point is he has a growing track record of recruiting players with sketchy character who end up putting the school's programs in jeopardy. UMass got put on probation and had to vacate its Final Four after Calipari left once it was found out Camby had accepted gifts and now it looks like Memphis may have to do the same over Derrick Rose's indiscretions and possibly Robert Dozier's test scores.

Kentucky just needs to keep close tabs on the guys he is recruiting and be wary of who they admit.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Also, John Calipari is simply building a team for one-year, so anything short of a national championship is now a huge disappointment and constantly having to replenish the entire cabinet on an annual basis is no way to sustain success and rebuild a national power.

Come tournament time, if I was a team like the Kansas Jayhawks, I would not be terrified of Kentucky like that article quoted suggests they should be. Kansas, who I think should be the preseason number one, will compete in college basketball's toughest conference in 2009-2010, is under the direction of a national champion coach who is a better game manager than Calipari, are led by likely two lottery pick selections in senior Sherron Collins and junior Cole Aldrich, return all but 0.5 points per game from last year's Sweet Sixteen season, and they have signed a five-star point guard in Elijah Johnson, four-star power forward Thomas Robinson and a strong commitment from five-star shooting guard Xavier Henry. They should be the preseason number one.

If Kansas was recruiting one-and-done guys like Calipari, they wouldn't be in a position to contend every year. It don't see how what Calipari does recruiting wise will benefit Kentucky. Yes, they will be back in the dance, but Final Fours and championships will be tough to come by when you rely completely on inexperience and zero leadership.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
Also, John Calipari is simply building a team for one-year, so anything short of a national championship is now a huge disappointment and constantly having to replenish the entire cabinet on an annual basis is no way to sustain success and rebuild a national power.

Come tournament time, if I was a team like the Kansas Jayhawks, I would not be terrified of Kentucky like that article quoted suggests they should be. Kansas, who I think should be the preseason number one, will compete in college basketball's toughest conference in 2009-2010, is under the direction of a national champion coach who is a better game manager than Calipari, are led by likely two lottery pick selections in senior Sherron Collins and junior Cole Aldrich, return all but 0.5 points per game from last year's Sweet Sixteen season, and they have signed a five-star point guard in Elijah Johnson, four-star power forward Thomas Robinson and a strong commitment from five-star shooting guard Xavier Henry. They should be the preseason number one.

If Kansas was recruiting one-and-done guys like Calipari, they wouldn't be in a position to contend every year. It don't see how what Calipari does recruiting wise will benefit Kentucky. Yes, they will be back in the dance, but Final Fours and championships will be tough to come by when you rely completely on inexperience and zero leadership.
I disagree. First, anything short of a national championship is ALWAYS a disappointment in Lexington. It's the nature of us fans. So it's nothing new. Secondly, I think you're overstating Calipari's recruiting one-and-done players. He does recruit some, but he also recruits plenty of guys who will be there longer. And even so, look at Carmelo Anthony and Rose, freshmen who competed or won national titles right away. Calipari came to Lexington saying he's going to recruit the BEST players in the nation, period. And I'm not complaining. We've suffered for years under Tubby's recruiting "solid" four-year character guys. But that got us mediocrity.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Jodie Meeks is keeping his name in the draft, despite saying he would take it out if he's not a definite first-rounder (he's not). A loss for UK, but they will be fine. I think Jodie didn't want to play for a third coach in four years, and recognized the logjam of talent in Lexington. I think Patterson coming back is bigger for UK. I will be watching the draft intently to see where Jodie goes as he will be a solid NBA scorer. If he was two inches taller and had better handle, he'd be a lottery pick.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Wall is Andy Katz' Player of the Week: Weekly Watch: Wall, Johnson introduce themselves to nation with impressive performances - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

This guy is a stud, a sensation, and will be known by the whole nation pretty soon...
Old 12-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

I'm sure some of you saw Wall's national coming out party vs. North Carolina Saturday. Kentucky went on a 28-2 run and Wall was ELECTRIFYING. You want to know what it would be like if LeBron went to college? Watch John Wall. He is on another level...

Anyone impressed?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

What was astonishing to me was how average Kentucky looked when Wall went out of the game when he started cramping up.

Comparing him to LeBron seems a bit much though. Something tells me LeBron would have averaged upwards of 30 a game in college.

Wall is not entirely a complete player just yet. He turned the ball over 7 times on Saturday and has just two games where he has turned it over fewer than five times. He is also not the best 3-point shooter in the world either. The biggest I have seen on him are shot selection, decision making, sloppy ball handling at times, and defensive intensity.

He is a great talent though and will probably be the top pick in the draft next June.

Kentucky looked like a typical Calipari team though. Great in the open court and mediocre in the half court.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
StephSte
Rookie Player

StephSte is on a distinguished road

I agree. People are falling away from the beliefs their forefathers had due to a spirit of unbelief that is in this world today.
StephSte is offline   Reply With Quote