Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 01-25-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road
Default Kobe Bryant: The Debate

I would like to open a debate about Mr. Kobe Bryant, also known as the Lakers.
1. Do you think the Lakers can win without Kobe?
I don't and don't expect many people to. It's like Shaq. Taking 30-40 points away from the score (some replaced by the others) will not improve the Lakers' performance, but they should learn to work without him.
2. Do you think Kobe deserves an MVP?
This is an interesting question. The question actually becomes 'Who will win the MVP?' Kobe is a definitely a competitor, though.
3. How much longer do you think Kobe will remain in LA?
This is useless in itself. Kobe is the team. The Lakers, Shaq or not, will fall back if Kobe leaves. Muhahahahahaha!
4.Does Kobe still gives creative performances?
If you ask me, forget it! Kobe's hammer jam is getting annoying. It's repetitive and boring. He's athletic but doesn't know what to do next.
5. Do you think Kobe is a good team player?
I'm not sure about this. Kobe, playing at shooting guard, does not have the assist responsibility of a point guard, but as a guard in general, he should generate 3 to 5 assists a game or more which he is already doing.
6. Do you think Kobe is a good rebounder?
Kobe generates 5.5 rebounds a game. Considering his height of 6-7, in comparison to Vince Carter, an inch shorter, who generates 5.6 rebounds, he is a good rebounder but could do more.

Hope this generates some good debates!

air_canada:
Old 01-25-2002, 09:23 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

1. No, the Lakers need Kobe without question to win. He gives them the inside/outside game with Shaq.

2. Possibly, but I think other players are more important to their teams.

3. Kobe isn't leaving. He's on the biggest platform of all in Los Angeles and he's got a winning team. The only thing that could happen is when Jackson leaves, Shaq has half-jokingly said he'll leave. Then what'll Kobe do?

4. I don't think it really matters, a basket is a basket. If this was the dunking contest, it'd matter, but it doesn't.

5. Yes, there's no question. He's a scorer, and he does his job. How is he not a team player?

6. 0.1 rebounds doesn't make him worse than Carter... and I thought Kobe was 6'6", anyway. For a guard, almost 6 boards a game is extremely good.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:30 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I don't think Kobe Bryant should win the MVP award because I think that if you take him away from the Lakers, they can still win. If you take Vince Carter away from the Raptors, or Jordan away from the Wizards, those teams wouldn't be winning as many games -- PERIOD.

Kobe's a very, very good player. If he were on any other team, he'd be MVP material, but he's on the Lakers, so he's not the most valuable to his team.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:39 PM   #4
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Kobe is a great all around player, but lets get serious without Shaq they dont have a chance to win the championship. Shaq & Kobe together are simply amazing and no question will take it this year
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 11:10 PM   #5
Jazzbum1225
Rookie Player

Jazzbum1225 is on a distinguished road

I definitely do not think that Kobe is the MVP of the league. Heck, I don't even think he is the MVP of his own team. I guarantee that the Lakers would win more games with Just Shaq than just Kobe.
Jazzbum1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 01:59 AM   #6
Dre2g
Grizzled Veteran

Dre2g is on a distinguished road

1. Yes, I do actually. They might even do better without him, no one can stop Shaq. And without Kobe, that means Shaq gets the ball more.

2. No, what exactly has he done?

3. He's staying.

4. He is extremely repetitive.

5. Now he is, a few years ago I would say ABSOLUTELY NOT.

6. Do you think Kobe is a good rebounder?
Kobe generates 5.5 rebounds a game. Considering his height of 6-7, in comparison to Vince Carter, an inch shorter, who generates 5.6 rebounds, he is a good rebounder but could do more.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:33 AM   #7
onetwo88
Sports Enthusiast

onetwo88 is on a distinguished road

Shaq (the best center in the league) and Kobe (the best non-center in the league) and good role players = championships
onetwo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 03:04 AM   #8
Marcus
Rookie Player

Marcus is on a distinguished road

I think Kobes good, but IMO he still is in the shadow of Shaq. If I'm correct I think the times that the Lakers were without Shaq the team actually struggled badly even thought they had Kobe playing.

I like to see Kobe traded to a losing team and see how he fairs making that team better. Jordan's ability to turn around a talentless Wizards really shows his true greatness - and Jordan's past his prime.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:14 AM   #9
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA. He can shoot from three, mid-range, in the paint and slams spectacular dunks. He can grab boards of the gl**** he can dish it out. He is almost as exciting as VC or MJ.

1. No chance. Shaq needs Kobe more than Kobe needs Shaq. You've seen Kobe play without Shaq this season, he dropped 53 one night, had a ton of 30 point-games.

2. Absolutley. If you say, " Ya, but Shaq deserves it more" than your wrong. Shaq dunks, lays-up and gets rebounds, Kobe does everything. IF SHAQ DIDN'T HAVE HIS SIZE, HE WOULD BE NOTHING!!!!!! Kobe deserves it more than AI and KG.

3. Jackson leaves, Shaq retires, Kobe stays, gets young talent and starts all over again. He is the Lakers and will end his career there.

4. He's not going to make up a new dunk every night just for us! He does amazing things when he dunks, it's plenty creative.

5. Yes he is now, a year ago, no. Since he is a team player now, they can win without Shaq although their record without him doesn't show it.

6. Yes, he is a great rebounder. That's an important part of his game, although it doesn't seem like it.

Kobe for MVP, again and again for years to come.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:56 AM   #10
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

What do you mean, "Almost as exciting as VC or MJ!
MJ isn't exciting... all he does is fadeaway jumpers and little lay-ins. I won't say he isn't good, but I've seen more exciting.