Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-27-2002, 11:26 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Question Time for fifth year of eligibility?

Quote:
It's time for fifth year of eligibility

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/column...yearofeli.html

No matter who you are or what you do, you always are looking for more time. Time to study, time to work, time to rest, time to play. We all could benefit from more time. The same goes for college football, in the form of an extra year of eligibility for players.

Under most circumstances, players currently are allowed five years to play four seasons. But there has been talk in some circles of dumping redshirt seasons and allowing players to compete for five seasons.

"We have talked about it in the Big 12," says Iowa State coach Dan McCarney. "Overall, everyone is in strong agreement that we feel it's something we are interested in looking into more and getting started."

Think of the benefit an extra year of eligibility would provide in a player's development. Practice may make perfect, but almost any coach will say there's no substitute for game experience. Having the option of a fifth year would allow a coach to insert a true freshman into a game for a few plays or on special teams without fear of wiping out a full season of eligibility.
Personally, I think this is a horrible idea. You can't give athletes more time in school and not other students. All collegiate sports would have to change. It would be an outrage and goes against the fundamental principles of collegiate sports.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 12:51 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, Marc lots of players right now at every University are staying at college 5 years by using the redshirt. Every University has several if not close to 15 to 20 or so redshirts that usually stay the 5 year period that this article talks about. The only difference would be that instead of that player being redshirted and not be able to play one season, he could play all 5. And I actually have no problem with this at all.

And no not all sports would change...basketball redshirts as well and I am sure other sports do somewhat of the same thing in College. And speaking of athletes getting more time than students.....students can stay for as long as they want to complete a degree, but athletes can only play football for a short period of time. And take into consideration that a football player has a 3 hour practice every day, plays to remember, a full time college schedule with classes, conditioning in the off season, and games and travel on weekends....don't you think that it will take them longer to graduate.

I know you have seen cases like Peyton Manning graduate in 3 years and Jay Williams do the same in College basketball, but I have no problem at all for College Athletics, especially football implementing this rule that allows athletes to play 5 years in a college setting.

Joey
Old 08-09-2002, 12:31 AM   #3
Shock1011
All-Star Player

Shock1011 is on a distinguished road

I don't really like it that much...Even if you don't play that first year, you still learn things, and prepare for the college game. So when their at their 5th year of college, they have a advantage, because they have been playing college football for the past 3 years one year of practicing it..
Shock1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 08:50 PM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Chris Weinke might come back!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 11:16 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

LOL, college football's first 30+ year-old QB. And we thought high schoolers in the NBA was bad.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 12:19 AM   #6
Shock1011
All-Star Player

Shock1011 is on a distinguished road

That Chris Weinke was pure bull****...The heisman was a ****ing joke, and it pissed me off in the worst way. How can they say he didn't have any more knowledge then the other footbal players...The dick was like 27, knowledge comes with age! ****ing morons..
Shock1011 is offline   Reply With Quote