Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-26-2002, 05:38 PM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default Stephen Davis Done In Washington

The Washington Post reported earlier this week that the Redskins are going to relase running back Stephen Davis, the heart and soul of their offense the past 4 years. Obviosuly, Steve Spurrier played a factor in this. He wants to throw, Davis wants to run, that couldn't have been worked out, so they had to make a change. No this is not official yet, but it's likley to happen sometime in the next few weeks.

Personally, I think it's a bad move. Stephen Davis is 28, which is a decent age for a running back, he is still an effective, bruising, power runner and still has the talent to gain 1,300-1,400 yards. Ladell Betts gained over 100 yards last week, so it seems he's liley to be their tailback for next year, unless they sign a free agent or draft somebody. Betts is 5'10, 220, so he seems like a decent fit, but no way he replaces Davis.

Stephen had his carries limited all season long, but still managed to rack up 820 yards on 207 carries. He had games in which he carried the ball 12,13,18,14,19,12 and 2 times, that's not what you do with a power back like Davis! You give him the ball 25-30 times and let him smash it up inside for four quarters. He's not one of those speedy, shifty guys who only need 12 or 13 carries before they break one. In games where Davis got 20 or more carries (26,24,31,20), he averaged 84 yards a game. He's going to wind up some place like Tampa or New England and tear it up. No wounder Steve Spurrier is 4-11.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:40 PM   #2
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Steve is not very good a coach in the NFL. He's trying to coach in the NFL just like he does in the NCAA by making an all pass offense. Dumb move in relaesing Davis.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:48 PM   #3
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Watson and Betts are good enough to play running back at Washington. Spurrier just needs some more offensive options before he goes pass happy on the league. I am not sure what Davis's contract was, but if it is a large contract then I agree with this move totally. Young guys like Watson and Betts won't require much money, allowing Washington to go pick up some free agents for next season.

Joey
Old 12-26-2002, 07:03 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Spurrier's a certified moron. I'm not familiar with Davis' contract, so I understand escaping the cap pain if you're not going to use him. But, not using him is just plain idiotic.

After going 6-10 next year, Spurrier will be back in Florida taking Ron Zook's job after Zook wins the SEC.

A travesty that this guy will have a job next year.

Dave
Old 12-26-2002, 08:45 PM   #5
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Harsh words Dave.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:36 AM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Yes I think it is a mistake to get rid of Davis, but Spurrier is a good coach and may be able to live by the pass once he gets a good quarterback and some good receivers working together.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:02 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

You almost had to know that Davis wasn't going to be a happy camper when Spurrier was hired as the head coach; but why release him when several teams - including Detroit, Houston and possibly even New England - would be keenly interested in trading for him? Personally, I would also add Chicago to that list because Anthony Thomas looks for all the world like a one-year flash in the pan.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 04:21 AM   #8
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Eh, Detroit? James Stewart has had himself a fine season. He's got 996 yards and he'll break 1,000 this weekend. And it's not like them give him the ball all the time either, I mean he's only gotten 20 or more carries three times the whole season, and his highest output, 32, came in an overtime game in which he gained 172 yards. He's got a 4.5 avg ypc and maybe if the Lions actually gave him the ball they would see even at age 30 he can be an effective back, for a couple more seasons anyway.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:32 AM   #9
Anthony

Fine season? Detroit is 29th in the league in rushing offense with 92.3 yards per game; just because one player has gotten the lion's share (no pun intended) of that meager total doesn't make it any less meager.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:05 AM   #10
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

So are you saying that they shold do a Thunder & Lightining in Detrioit? No, no no noooooo.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:27 AM   #11
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
Yes I think it is a mistake to get rid of Davis, but Spurrier is a good coach and may be able to live by the pass once he gets a good quarterback and some good receivers working together.
Spurrier is a good coach? Maybe in college, but assuming we're referring to "a good pro coach", what are you basing that on? I think he's been a complete failure.

And I agree with The J; I don't see why Detroit would be interested in replacing or supplementing Stewart with Davis. The Lions clearly have more pressing problems. Wide receiver and the offensive and defensive lines come to mind. Detroit has the last-ranked defense in the NFC, so they clearly need some help there. I don't think replacing the best player on the team is their highest priority at the moment.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 10:09 AM   #12
Anthony

Who said anything about "replacing" James Stewart? Plenty of teams have two running backs they can throw out there - the Buccaneers, the 49ers, the Giants - I could go on and on. Still, to use a wide receiver analogy, Stewart is definitely a #2 running back - not a #1; if he was a #1, Detroit's running game would rank a lot higher than 29th. And since when is this a zero-sum game? Why does obtaining help for one unit automatically mean secruring less help for any other? (Is Detroit anywhere near maxed out on the salary cap? I doubt it). At the absolute least, this deficiency needs to be addressed in the middle rounds of the draft - as the Eagles did last spring when they picked Brian Westbrook in the third round (with their fourth overall pick since they had two second-rounders), who just might amount to something in this league.

At any rate, the decisions on where the Lions need help the most will be made by new people at both the head-coaching and general manager level starting Monday, when Bill Ford is expected to fire both Marty Mornhinweg and Matt Millen.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:28 AM   #13
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Dave, I would be more than happy for Spurrier to come back to Florida....if he fails again next year in the NFL.

I still am not fully understanding the situation with Stephen Davis though. I mean what was his contract like....does anyone know? And like Anthony said, why didn't the Redskins try to trade Davis for some offensive linemen or wide receivers?

I think the running game in Washington can be somewhat affective with Watson and Betts.....does anyone else agree with me....or am I just as big an idiot as Spurrier is for letting Davis go?

Joey
Old 12-27-2002, 10:36 AM   #14
Anthony

It's just that there's no place for a "feature" back (and the ego that would be part and parcel with that role) in an offense like Spurrier's.

And who knows - could Brian Griese be throwing TD passes to David Boston at FedEx Field next year? (See my thread on Griese).
Old 12-27-2002, 12:18 PM   #15
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Spurrier is defenitely not a good pro coach and this decision to release Stephen Davis leaves alot to be desired from the Redskins organization. There needs to be a happy medium between passing and rushing to survive in the NFL. Plus I think that Davis would be the perfect decoy for whatever Spurrier is thinking in his head. At least with Davis in the backfield, there is some chance that they could actually use him in certain situations. When they release him, it's obvious that they will be focusing on pass more so than they did this year, changing the face of the team. If I were a defensive coordinator coming in playing against the Redskins and I saw either Watson or Betts lining up in the backfield, you better believe Im not taking the run seriously until Im proven otherwise...
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote