Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-02-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default Callahan the "Dumbest" Coach in America?

As everyone who follows the NFL is aware, Oakland's Bill Callahan went off on his team in the post-game press conference, and called his team "the dumbest team in America." He tried yesterday to soften his criticism, yet didn't, really.

Immediately after hearing his comment, I couldn't help but think "They're the dumbest team because they have the dumbest coach." What kind of Einstein doesn't recognize that all those penalties and all those idiotic plays ultimately reflect back on him and his failure to properly prepare the players.

Sure, the Raiders have long been among the most penalized teams in the NFL. That's the Al Davis curse. Once they change hands, the penalties will decrease. But, the "dumb" things that Callahan refers to are ultimately his fault. The occasional late hit out of bounds will happen. The jumping offsides on a punt... that's lack of discipline. And discipline starts on the sidelines.

I sure hope Callahan has such witty things to say when he's working in some college game broadcast booth next year. I don't think he'll be working the NFL sidelines next year, or the year after. He's been an abomination... not quite as bad as Dave Campo, but, that's only because Al Davis didn't open the doors to HBO to let them see what a failure the Callahan regime has been, Super Bowl appearance (did they actually show up?) or not.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:50 PM   #2
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Great post, Dave.

Right on the money.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:36 PM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I just can't believe they are so bad after playing so well in 2002.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
rocketman
Sports Enthusiast

rocketman is on a distinguished road

He did mention that he must be included in the dumbness that seems to affect the Raiders.

He took Gruden's team to the Super Bowl. Now it's his team. On the otehr hand, Gruden took Tony Dungy's team all the way, and now they're no great shakes either. Makes you wonder.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Gruden and the Bucs always have the out "the hunger wasn't there." They might not say it to a camera, but you can watch several of them on defense and know it.

The Raiders overachieved last year. They had several young'uns on defense step up and play well, probably over their heads. Those same young'uns have been inexplicably awful this season. Add a single side-of-the-ball's worth of IR players, other random injuries, another year, continued poor ability to run, a QB with a confidence problem and a crappy offensive line, a dumb coach who reached the Super Bowl on the gifts handed to him by the previous guy (including the playbook), and you have what the Raiders are: a team competing for a top five pick in the draft.

Dave
Old 12-09-2003, 12:13 AM   #6
Packers3045
faVRe is my hero

Packers3045 is on a distinguished road

i think they are underachieving this year. Its probably cuz of the age thing. I mean most of the players are over 30. They really need to get some new guys and cut the old ones or something
Old 12-16-2003, 09:48 PM   #7
Classof11buckI
Sports Enthusiast

Classof11buckI is on a distinguished road

Old geezers, what are they thinking keeping these people around.
Classof11buckI is offline   Reply With Quote