Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 01-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road
Default Got Money?

Way to go, Theo. Mr. Epstein has found a way to open ownership's checkbook in Boston, and has (and is still in the process of) fielded a nice looking team. Problem here is that he's furthering the backlash from the ARod deal. I really fear for the small market teams. Hell, the mid market teams are in some trouble soon. No money, no team...it's coming. So for all the Bostonians ready to crown the Red Sox champs, and vote Theo into Presidential office........hold up. The backlash from this spending spree won't be apparent for a while. Schilling and the other deals are gonna put the Red Sox in San Fransisco 49ers kind of salary problems for years to come. Anyone check out Baltimore? Tejada and a few more. $$$. Gammons is calling them contenders now. Hope they can make payroll in June. Check out Steinbrenner. No longer is he the only one to write checks like they were Christmas cards. Boy am I gonna miss baseball. By the way, I hate that Peter Gammons. When guys like 46 year old Jessie Orosco are making 800,000 a year, things are bad. We're only a couple of generations removed from guys making under $50,000 a year. Boy, what a time that must have been. To actually watch guys that play for the love of baseball. For me, I'll just stick to the South Bend Silverhawks, the Class A team for the Diamondbacks. Those kids are so much fun to watch. Guys making $800 a month. 18 year old kids that have no glove contract, or shoe deal. Guys that ride a damn bus to their next game. Miles away from a limo driver, or a Ferari. I sure am gonna miss baseball. The end is not as far away as you might think...
dirtywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yes, the Orioles are on their way to becoming a good young team. They have Tejada and Melvin Mora, two excellent talents. Too bad they sent Sidney Ponson to the Giants because he was promising.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:02 AM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

DWB, I like your attitude. I see the guys in the same league you watch. The Midwest League is fun to watch because the kids are there for the right reasons. They know that the vast majority of them will never play in the majors, but it doesn't stop them. They haven't forgotten that the fans are there to see them play and that the fans are important to the game. You seldom see a kid in the Midwest League turn down a fan asking for an autograph, even the "bonus-babies"
On the major league front, the Orioles are making some moves that might just make them a contender in a couple of years. They aren't getting the press that the Yankees and Red Sox are, but Baltimore is not a media capital, now is it.
Baseball will be fine as long as teams keep drafting players like those in the Midwest League. They are great guys.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:29 AM   #4
steelers
Rookie Player

steelers is on a distinguished road

Lets go O's...From somebody who goes to six to ten games a year it will be nice to see a game and maybe have a winning team also.Camden Yards is a great expierence whether the O's are above 500 ball or not but it would be sweet!!Where has the money come from is the scary part.Its never been there before.We need pitching something terrible and Ponson would have been the man.Lets see what happens.We also enjoy watching minor league ball with The Delmarva Shorebirds only 45 minutes away.What a great game!!
steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:25 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Baltimore will have the hitting but they have zero pitching. Once they can develop some young arms or sign some free agents they might be contenders. As for now I'm not sure they can top Toronto and challenege for 3rd in the AL East.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:44 AM   #6
BobbyBaseball
Grizzled Veteran

BobbyBaseball is on a distinguished road

Hey Rodney
The O's will hit the ball a bit, but Alex is right about their pitching. As far as the Shorebirds, I have never seen them, but have seen the Royals farm club the Bluerocks tons. Is a great day/night out for kids and adults. GO PHILLIES