Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 01-11-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default San Jose!?

What is up with this team? Not only are they 8 games above .500, but they are in FIRST place in the Pacific Division ahead of teams that are supposed to be good like Dallas and Los Angeles. Here you have a team that dumped everybody, including Owen Nolan and Teemu Selanne, yet they are doing nothing but winning games right now. Can this team possibly keep winning games like this?
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:43 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I forget who the backup is to Nabokov but he was putting on a clinc when Nabokov was injured.... but there are gonna be a lot of Adams candidates this year, and Wilson is definitely gonna be one of them.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I think they have already engraved Pat Burns' name on the Adams trophy.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

Veska Toskala is the backup to Nabokov, and he's one helluva backup to have. Heck, San Jose has proven to be a haven of goalies, considering Kiprusoff is tearing it up in Calgary and Johan Hedberg's performance for Pittsburgh in the playoffs a couple seasons ago.

I honestly can say I'm surprised by this great resurgence back to the top of the Pacific Division with this team. I really like the new GM/Coach duo of Wilson and Wilson, and with Marleau getting hot and the defense stifling teams, I'm glad to see this team is young, hungry, and led by some wily vets such as Damphousse and Ricci. I also like their idea of rotating team captains, which has been tremendously successful for their play this season. GO SHARKS!
Old 01-15-2004, 05:48 AM   #5
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I'm just waiting for this team to fall, and I think that 3-0 loss against the Stars was the starting point. Patrick Marleau is the guy who needs to step up and it's about time he has begun to do so. He had so much potential coming into the NHL but was one of those guys who never panned out. You also look at Mike Ricci and the promising career everyone thought he would have (next Gretzky), he has played fairly well this season. Vinny Damphousse has been good and the goalies are good enough to keep them in games.

Last edited by Bran; 01-15-2004 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:25 AM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

You can look at San Jose's position in the Pacific and say that either they're good or the rest are bad. Dallas had high expectations and flopped. LA was bitten by the injury bug with Allison, now Palffy, etc. J-S Gigure has come back and been awful. Phoenix has a had a surprisingly good season but that probably also plays into the fact that the aformentioned 3 stumbled. Whoever wins this division will not go far in the play offs. I wouldn't be surprised to see only the division winner come out of the Pacific. Third place Calgary in the Northwest would be WINNING this division right now. I don't see San Jose holding up down the stretch and IMO Dallas will come on strong after the All Star game and close the gap. San Jose deserves credit though. They came back from a miserable and dissapointing season last year when they were supposed to be Cup contenders to have a decent season. Things will get better in San Jose. Especially is Nabokov and Toskela continue to be a top goalie tandem.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

You make some good points and are absolutely right, the division is very mediocre right now. However, i am still saying watch out for Anaheim because I think they'll turn on the jets very soon. That team is very well coached, and they aren't losing because of J.S Giguere, if anything he has kept them in games. Losing Sandis Ozolinsh was a huge loss for their D and it's been showing. You can say anything you want about Sergei Fedorov, but the guy is a star that is missed in Detroit and is finally starting to get on a roll and they are getting something out of Vaclav Prospal too.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:14 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

The division is still wide open right now. 5 points seperates San Jose from LA, Dallas and Phoenix who are all tied for 2nd place right now with 46 a piece. Anaheim is going to need to get it going soon. They are 13 points behind SJ in the mediocre division. Anaheim definetley has the talent to pull off a long unbeaten streak but it's going to have to be soon. They can't be 13 points back of San Jose, Dallas, etc. in early March. Closing a double digit gap in a month will be hard even for a talnted team like Anaheim. Especially if Dallas finds its way by then.

Last edited by Alex; 01-15-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:59 AM   #9
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Wow, i got my first taste of watching this team play against Detroit tonight. They look very legit right now and are making some quiet damage. Mind you, it's still that garbage style of hockey...but they are currently on a three game winning streak and they've beat the three top teams in the West. They beat Vancouver 3-1, beat Colorado 2-1 and beat Detroit 2-1. Regardless, to hold those explosive teams to ONE goal each in three straight is very impressive.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

The Sharks are a good team. Sutter knew that when he got canned. They had a bad season last year but they're playing well again.

Still... so are my Flames

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote