Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 04-01-2001, 11:17 AM   #1
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/0331/1165368.html

Quote:
SNEADS, Fla. Brian Cole, among the top prospects in the New York Mets' farm system, was killed in a car crash Saturday in the Florida Panhandle.

Cole, a 22-year outfielder, was driving home from spring training in Port St. Lucie, Fla., to Meridian, Miss., to drop off his truck, Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said in Pittsburgh. Cole was to fly Sunday to Binghamton, N.Y., to join the Mets' Double-A team.

Florida Highway Patrol officials said the one-car accident occurred just south of the Georgia border, about 45 miles northwest of Tallahassee, Fla.

The accident happened on Interstate 10 near State Highway 286 at about 3:30 p.m. CT, said John Zappone, a duty officer with the Florida Highway Patrol in Panama City.

Zappone said officers were still investigating the accident, and that no other details were available.

The Mets were at a team dinner following an exhibition game against the Pirates at PNC Park when general manager Steve Phillips received a telephone call with the news.

Phillips told the team and some of the players, who knew Cole from spring training, started to cry.

Cole went to Meridian High School and was Baseball America's junior college player of the year in 1998 at Navarro Junior College in Texas. He was selected by the Mets in the 18th round of the 1998 amateur draft and turned down a football scholarship to Florida State.

Cole had a combined 19 homers, 86 RBI and 69 steals last year for Class A St. Lucie and Binghamton. He hit .312 with 54 steals for St. Lucie and .278 with 15 steals at Binghamton.

He had a .306 average in the minors with 135 steals, 42 homers and 193 RBI. Cole was 5-foot-9 and Baseball America wrote that "if Cole were a couple of inches taller, he would have been a much higher draft pick."

Cole was optioned by the Mets to Binghamton on March 17. He batted .182 (2-for-11) for New York during spring training this year with no homers, two RBI and three steals.
This kid sounded pretty good, kinda strange, one car accident with no details, suppose we'll find out later. Meridian, Miss. is 40 minutes away from me.
Old 04-01-2001, 12:09 PM   #2
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

Man, that is very sad. I will pray for this guy's family.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 01:34 PM   #3
FL Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FL Tiger is on a distinguished road
Question How tough can it be??

Get in a motor vehicle, wear a seatbelt. It's not rocket science. They teach you that in kindergarten.

This is a sad story but I can't feel sorry for someone that doesn't use common sense.
FL Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 04:33 PM   #4
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

Well, thats pretty cold to say after he's dead.

But, anyway, how do you know he wasn't wearing a seat belt? I haven't read anything that said he wasn't, if you have, post the article link please.
Old 04-02-2001, 04:43 PM   #5
FL Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FL Tiger is on a distinguished road

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/...ectkilled.html

Excerpts:

Quote:
Cole, 22, was not wearing a seat belt when his Ford Explorer overturned as he drove home Saturday from spring training in Port St. Lucie to Meridian, Miss., with his cousin, Ryan Cole, a Florida Highway Patrol accident report said.

``Seat belts are important, especially in rollover conditions, and we've got one person who remained in the vehicle and one who didn't, so that's an area we're going to focus on,'' Warden said.
FL Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 08:31 PM   #6
PeterDewar
All-Star Player

PeterDewar is on a distinguished road

I admit he should have had a belt on but nonetheless he was a great prospect and I am praying for the family.

Peter Dewar
- Director of Website Operations, Top Prospect Alert.com
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire." - Flyer's Coach Fred Shero
"We've all been blessed with God given talents. Mine just happens to be beating people up." - Sugar Ray Leonard

PeterDewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 10:01 PM   #7
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Wow, that's tough. He paid for not using one of the most simple devices for safety.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote