Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who Will Be the Big Impact Player for Green Bay?
Brett Favre 2 66.67%
Antonio Freeman 0 0%
Ahman Green 1 33.33%
Dorsey Levens 0 0%
Bill Schroeder 0 0%
Jamal Reynolds 0 0%
Bernardo Harris 0 0%
Darren Sharper 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2001, 02:05 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Can the Pack Come Back?

The Green Bay Packers finished 3rd in the NFC Central last year with a 9-7 record and most experts predict the same this year. QB Bret Farve will have alot to say about that. As Marc mentioned in one of his post Brett Favre has not been very dedicated to the team so far this year. He's not getting any younger, so I think he will need to work harder and become the leader that this team so badly needs. Brett passed for 3,812 yards last year and threw for 20 scores. He had 16 interceptions.

The Packers had a very respectable home record last year going 6-2, but their road record was 3-5. They've always been tough to beat at home. Coach Mike Sherman is no Mike Holmgren, but he can hold his own.

So what does 2001 hold for the Pack? Back-up QB Doug Pederson played for the Pack when Mike Holmgren was coach. The good thing about Pederson is he knows the system, but he's not good enough to carry this team if Favre gets injured. Receiver Mark Chmura is gone. You know that story only too well. TE Tyrone Davis in injured. RB Ahman Green did a very good job running when Dorsey Levens went down with injuries last year. He rushed for 1,175 yards on 263 carries. He caught 73 passes, but he didn't run well after he caught them. Dorsey Levens should be back, but he's not getting any younger either. Receiver Antonio Freeman has been hard to deal with since he signed his new contract. He was really a disappointment last year. He did catch 62 passes for 912 yards and 9 scores. Rookie Robert Ferguson from Texas A&M figures to be a good one and may start soon.

The offensive line took some time to jell last year, but they figure to give much more protection to Favre this year. OT Chad Clifton(6-5-325) should be better this year. Mark Tauscher in his second year from Wisconsin figures to improve too. It's hoped that OT Earl Dotson can recover from back problems.

Defense did a good job against the run last year, but was weak against the pass. DE Vonnie Holliday can be explosive. Can Santana Dotson return from his injury? Rookie DE Jamal Reynolds(6-3-266) of Florida State expects to make an immediate impact on defense. DE Cletidus Hunt can be a big impact player if he has enough desire. MLB Bernardo Harris had a great year last year. Na'il Diggs in his second year did good last year at linebacker. Nate Wayne who played for the Denver Broncos did well last year at weakside. Rookie LB Torrance Marshall(6-2-245) from Oklahoma could make a big impact also on defense. DB Darren Sharper could be the best free safety in football, if his big contract doesn't change him. Leroy Butler is still a good player. Tyrone Williams has much to be desired. DB Mike McKenzie has some injury problems last year. Place kicker Ryan Longwell doesn't have the strongest leg, but he's near Pro-Bowl calibar.

What hurts the Pack is the tough division their in. They must fend off Tampa Bay and Minnesota. Nobody is quite sure what Detroit is capable of. The Pack's first three games will be a good test. They open up against Detroit at home then go on the road to play the New York Giants then return home to play Washington. They meet Tampa Bay Oct 7th in Tampa. It's going to be a tough road for the Pack, but if Brett Farve is on his game and Antonio Freeman can return to his old form and the defense can stop the pass watch out NFC.

The good news is that Green Bay beat Minnesota twice last year once 26-20 then 33-28. I don't think they will beat them twice again. Their biggest offensive game last year was when they had a total of 455 net yards against Arizona in week 4. Green Bay won that game 29-3. The Packers gave up the most passing yards when they beat Minnesota 33-28 in week 16. 332 yards. They gave up the most rushing yards against the Chicago Bears in week 5. The Bears gained 178 yards and won that game 27-24. I thought you would enjoy those stats. Green Bay gave up a total of 3,451 yards in the air.

So if the ball bounces just right for the Pack, defense against the pass improves and the rookies make a big impact, the Pack could challenge for the NFC Crown. I figured Marc would like to hear that. Just being honest. Don't forget GM Ron Wolf is gone and he was a master at making good trades.
Old 07-14-2001, 11:14 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can the Pack Come Back?

As Marc mentioned in one of his post Brett Favre has not been very dedicated to the team so far this year.
When did I say that?

Brett passed for 3,812 yards last year and threw for 20 scores. He had 16 interceptions.
The high number of interceptions is because his receiver corps were injured all year long and his TE was an inexperienced rookie. I think these reasons combined attribute to that stat.

Coach Mike Sherman is no Mike Holmgren, but he can hold his own.
Sherman is an excellent coach - he did a great job last year leading a team almost into the playoffs despite various key injuries and youth.

RB Ahman Green did a very good job running when Dorsey Levens went down with injuries last year. He rushed for 1,175 yards on 263 carries. He caught 73 passes, but he didn't run well after he caught them. Dorsey Levens should be back, but he's not getting any younger either.
Points taken, but no matter what you say, that is a good one-two punch. Lots of depth there, especially if Green picks up where he left off. Levens is only 29, I believe... these guys are not THAT old. Favre will be 31.

What hurts the Pack is the tough division their in. They must fend off Tampa Bay and Minnesota. Nobody is quite sure what Detroit is capable of.
I disagree - the NFC Central is overrated mostly. Minnesota will be weak with no running game and no defense. They are not nearly as talented all around as the Packers. And will Culpepper keep it up? Chicago isn't going to win any division. Tampa Bay is soft and has an unproven offense, Brand Johnson or not. Everything was supposed to be dandy last year with Keyshawn - it didn't happen, and I don't expect it to be any different this year. Plus, the Bucs can't win in the cold. Detroit is an average team, IMO, they can pull off upsets, but I don't see them winning the division. I see the Packers winning it.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 05:16 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default "Come Back" From What?

Exactly what does the Pack have to "come back" from? Green Bay hasn't had a losing season since 1991! Only two other teams can boast a longer active streak for this: The Vikings, who last won fewer than eight games in 1990, and the Dolphins, whose most recent sub-.500 campaign occurred in 1988.

And it may interest you to know, Kevin, that most "experts" (if by that you mean oddsmakers) believe the Packers will finish second in the NFC Central - not third. Poor Minnesota - one big loss in a playoff game and the Vikings have been busted to buck private, so to speak! (they are now the third choice in the division in nearly all of the futures books). And surprise, surprise - the Redskins are now favored to win the NFC East in most places! (Among other things, they have the schedule on their side vis-a-vis the Eagles and, especially, the Giants). But the "hottest" team, as far as the "futures" betting is concerned, is the Rams. After having opened as high as 12-1 to win the Super Bowl in some places, St. Louis is now the overall favorite almost everywhere, with prices as low as 9-2.

Personally, I just don't see it happening. Something tells me that Mike Martz fancies himself as some sort of latter-day Don Coryell; I'm going to predict right here and now that the Rams will rank well down in the league in rushing offense this year even if Marshall Faulk does stay healthy all season. True, the Rams did make major changes in their defense over the spring, but it won't matter - no defense that is on the field 40 minutes per game can ever be truly effective. While the St. Louis defense won't be the disgraceful spectacle it was last year, it will still be more than bad enough to keep them from advancing beyond the divisional playoffs (although the Rams will most likely win the NFC West, with the Saints "bouncing" back to .500 and, in fact, quite possibly falling behind my personal "surprise" team of 2001, the Falcons).

But as far as the Packers go - and they are the subject of this thread! - I see them playing the Giants in an NFC wild card game this January, with whoever wins the regular-season meeting between the clubs having home field in the playoff game.

Lyrics to live by:
"Oh well, whatever, never mind"
(Kurt Cobain [1967-1994], "Smells Like Teen Spirit")

Last edited by Anthony; 07-15-2001 at 06:51 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 12:24 PM   #4
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

Yeah the Dolphins are consistent. I don't want to comment on this, but I did vote for Favre in the poll.