Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 07-03-2002, 03:02 PM   #1
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road
Default Tigers NL

I got this just over a week ago. It's quite interesting considering he writes it himself (or so they say).

Quote:

By Tiger Woods

I still haven't seen the tape of my U.S. Open win, but I'm very proud of what I accomplished. Just because of the fact that a lot of things went into the week and there were a lot of distractions. I had to block those things out and compete on a very difficult golf course under stressful conditions.

I'll tell you this: It wasn't easy.

I knew I had good chance to contend after Thursday's first round. All my practice sessions came together and I got off to a good start. I felt very comfortable with my swing and the course.

I must admit I was frustrated when my three-wood broke Wednesday on the practice range. Fortunately, I brought a backup and didn't miss a beat. At most tournaments, I usually bring backup woods, putters and wedges, just in case. The equipment vans usually leave town on Tuesday or Wednesday, so if you have a problem, you're out of luck.

My ball-striking Sunday was the best I hit it all week. I drove it great, missed only two fairways and hit a lot of good iron shots. Even though I three-putted the first two holes, I hung in there and kept grinding. I kept myself out of trouble and didn't make anything higher than a bogey.

Was I nervous at the start? Of course I was. I just hit bad putts. I don't care how good you are, when you play a course like Bethpage Black, you're going to make mistakes.

I putted too well all week for it not to come around. I had very good speed on my putts except for the opening holes Sunday and knew I would make a few along the way.

I guess the thing that gives me the most satisfaction about the victory was my overall play, especially the 68 I shot in the rain on Friday. That was not easy.

Normally, I don't watch what my playing partner does and that was the case again Sunday with Sergio Garcia. The waggles didn't bother me because he's got to hit the shot, not me. The galleries were on him pretty good, too.

Overall, I thought the enthusiasm and support the fans showed was great. Some crossed the line and weren't respectful, but the majority were wonderful.

Without a doubt, I'd love to see the U.S. Open return to Bethpage. It's a great golf course and was set up so fair. The only change thing I would change is move the rough up toward the tee on No. 10. It was a 250-yard carry just to reach the fairway and lot of players couldn't do it.

On Sunday, the greens were running 15 on the Stimpmeter, which is very fast. I know that for a fact because the superintendent told me. Don't forget, the wind was howling on those greens. Every day, the conditions were different, especially on the greens.

Right after I won, the press asked me about winning the single-season Grand Slam. Obviously, I'm the only player who can do it and I do think it's possible, but I wanted to celebrate my win. I put too much effort into the tournament to look ahead that quickly.

Now that some time has passed, I pretty much feel the same way. I'm just going to keep preparing myself and not worry about a slam. My only goal is to give myself a chance on Sunday at Muirfield, a course I've never played. That's all you can ask. It's not like just because you won the Masters and U.S. Open, it guarantees a slam.

The truth is, all you can do is go play. If your ball-striking is poor, you're not going to win, no matter what major it is. It's just a gradual process and you can't force it.

I'm taking it easy for a couple weeks and will stand up for my best friend and former Stanford teammate Jerry Chang at his wedding. I'm missing out on a fishing trip to Alaska with Mark O'Meara, John Cook, Scott McCarron and J.P. Hayes, but that's okay. I figure Jerry probably needs my help.

Even though this is the first time I have been a best man, how hard can it be? I just have to tell him where and when to show up and remind him what to say on the alter. That's it -- three letters, two words. I think I can handle it.

Talk to you next month.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 07:21 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Not bad. He's down to earth. When you're that good, it's hard to be humble.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:27 PM   #3
RaviPachai18

yea I get a few of them. Hes normally pretty good!
Old 07-03-2002, 11:04 PM   #4
mteeter
Grizzled Veteran

mteeter is on a distinguished road

Where did you get that from? It's interesting stuff!

<edit>I found it and signed up too</edit>

Last edited by mteeter; 07-04-2002 at 02:40 PM.
mteeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 11:27 PM   #5
diggerboy3
All-Star Player

diggerboy3 is on a distinguished road

Great find! I'll look forward to the next one. That should be after the British Open.
diggerboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 05:23 PM   #6
Bethany
Sports Enthusiast

Bethany is on a distinguished road

To anyone who thinks Tiger writes this stuff himself, I have a bridge you may be interested in buying. Can you say "NIKE's PR department"? I knew you could.
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 11:55 AM   #7
RaviPachai18

Actually I doubt Nike has very much to with Tigers life day in and day out. Do you believe he actually shows up at his clinics, I do because theres footage? Do you think Tiger does anything else besides play tournaments? I do, he does promote his own foundation...maybe Im gullible, but I do actually believe he wrote it. Maybe he didnt sit there and type it out, it was probably dictated to someone, but I think it did come from him.

Ravi

Last edited by RaviPachai18; 07-08-2002 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:03 PM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I finally got around to reading this. What does "NL" mean??? I probably know but it slips my mind right now.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 11:11 AM   #9
RaviPachai18

Newsletter
Old 07-08-2002, 12:52 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Ahhhhhhh
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote