Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Which owner has done the most damage to his team since 2000?
Bill Bidwill, ARI 5 38.46%
Mike Brown, CIN 0 0%
Jerry Jones, DAL 0 0%
Daniel Snyder, WAS 5 38.46%
John York, SF 1 7.69%
other 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Question bad owners

Which NFL owner has done the most damage to his team over the last five years?

The nominees:

Bill Bidwill, Arizona -- Notoriously cheap, and no team has a worse record in the last five seasons (25-55). This guy is the reason other owners don't want revenue sharing -- because people like Bidwill will just pocket the money and leave their teams dry.

Mike Brown, Cincinnati -- Also notoriously cheap, and an awful GM to boot. There's reason to hope Brown and the Bengals have turned a corner since Marvin Lewis was hired as head coach, but even with a 16-16 record in two seasons under Lewis, the team is tied with expansion Cleveland for the 2nd-worst record of the 21st century (28-52). Brown oversees the team's legendary personnel disasters.

Jerry Jones, Dallas -- Not cheap, but he has trouble directing his money properly, and is notoriously poor in the coach-choosing department. Even now, with Bill Parcells, the man he coveted for the job, Jones is feuding with his coach. Dallas is 31-49 since 2000 and even made the playoffs once.

Daniel Snyder, Washington -- Throws money around with no discretion, which is problematic in a league with a salary cap. He's had five head coaches in the last five seasons, with Steve Spurrier lasting the longest. The team is 34-46 but hasn't made the postseason.

John York, San Francisco -- Probably has a worse reputation than any owner, in any US sport, right now. York is just as cheap as Bidwill or Brown, and seems even less concerned with his team's success. The 49ers, though, have the best record of any of these five teams (37-43) and have made the playoffs twice in the last five seasons, even winning a game.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Growing up in Arizona, it'll be hard for me to vote for anyone other than Bill Bidwell. I would actually go so far as to call him the worst owner in professional sports -- worse than Donald Sterling of the Clippers. The guy puts absolutely 0 into the team and in a market hungry for football (as the college game and that MNF matchup between Miami and SD a couple seasons back showed), dozens of fans turn out for Cardinal games. Why? Because they do not and have not seen any signs of progress and can tell that progress is not something Bidwell is concerned with.

I think John York would be second on this list given SF's pathetic meltdown.

Jones and Snyder at least ambitious and try to put a winner on the field. Can't say Brown hasn't shown improvement in Cincinnati either. A couple 8-8 years for them are a god-send after perenially being 3-13.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

It's gotta be the Bidwells. Just look at how long they have been at it and still cannot get it right. Even Tampa Bay finally got its act together.

The locals are in uproar right now, because some season ticket holders tickets have gone up in price by almost 50%. The Bidwells claim that you still cannot get a much cheaper seat in these locations anywhere else in the NFL. Kinda misses the point when they cannot even get 30,000 fans to attend some home games and that they have lost one home game this year due to the trip to Mexico. Throw in the fact that Sun Devil stadium is an ageing dump and its just the Bidwells lining their pockets some more.

I think I read somewhere, that Bill Bidwell is the only NFL owner who's main job, is his football team. The others all have business interests outside of the sport. Probably why Bills been such a cheap skate all these years.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Gotta go with York. Not only is he thoroughly clueless and supremely cheap, but he could care less about winning (making him worse than Snyder and Jones) and has no background in the game (and does it ever show!), unlike the Bidwill family which has owned the Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals for 85 years; plus at least Arizona is getting a new stadium, and until proven otherwise you have to say that hiring Dennis Green is a better move than hiring Mike Nolan.

Last edited by Anthony; 04-22-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

Dan Synder. He just throws his money away and I think he doesn't know a darn thing about football. I mean come on, you signed Deion Sanders well beyond his prime and you signed Mark Brunell to a 7 year contract.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I'm going with Bidwell. As someone who's lived in both Phoenix and St. Louis, I've never found a single football fan who didn't extremely dislike him, he's easily the most reviled man in both cities. Matter of fact, he "won" a poll here in St. Louis a couple years ago for the most hated STL sports figure... and he's been gone for 20 years!

York is disliked now, but that's a short term thing. Mike Brown might have taken this one a few years ago, but he was smart enough to give control to Marvin Lewis, so at least a small portion of Bengals fans respect him now.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Red bleeping McCombs.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
Brad O.

I was about to vote for Snyder, almost switched to Bidwill, and finally stuck with Danny Boy. Bidwill's a close second, York a tight third, and the Glazer sons (whom I left out of my own poll) rank fourth. The price they paid to get Gruden instead of Marvin Lewis was ridiculous, and it appears to have crippled the team starting with that next draft.

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
Red bleeping McCombs.
I don't like McCombs, either, and he might make my top five of "worst owners" or "most disliked owners", but I don't think he's really done much damage to the Vikings. They're 39-41 since 2000, with two playoff wins and an appearance in the NFC Championship Game. Across the board, that's better than the owners in the poll. With playoffs last year and a good offseason, Minnesota doesn't seem to be sinking, either (unlike the Niners and Bucs).
Old 04-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #9
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

The otherside of the Glazer coin is that for all their spending they were able to win a Superbowl for the franchise. Some might say that the rough years to follow are worth it for that one title. They're probably right to think so.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #10
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I would be willing to spend 5 years in the wilderness for one wild super bowl winning year. Shame Snyder hasn't worked out how to do it properly yet.

I am amazed though that some of you think Snyder is worse than an owner who's team has been in a funk for decades through his own tight fisted penny pinching.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Bidwell. How can it not be Bidwell? He's the man that made the St. Louis, Phoenix and Arizona Cardinals the laughing stock of the NFL for DECADES! Every owner listed has hurt his team substantially but not only is Bidwell the worst over the past five seasons but he may be the worst NFL owner of all time.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:47 PM   #12
YankeeDoodle
Grizzled Veteran

YankeeDoodle is on a distinguished road

Who is the owner of the Aints'? Are they not considered even a franchise now?

Jerry Jones is like George Steinbrenner playing in a capped sport. Hehe...sucks!
YankeeDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Tom Benson is the owner of the Saints. The Saints aren't really a bad franchise they are just horribly mediocre and have been for several years. It is not necessarily Benson's fault to begin with the team has just had bad luck with personnel decisions over the past few years. For the most part Benson is fairly hands off when compared to guys like Snyder and Jones.

Actually, Dan Snyder is the one that is more like Steinbrenner overpaying for aging, mediocre stars thinking they still have something left. Jones just hamstrung himself by locking up the bulk of his payroll in Aikman, Smith, and Irvin and being loyal to these guys instead of cutting them loose like a lot of teams would have done once they started into the twilights of their careers.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #14
Brad O.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
I would be willing to spend 5 years in the wilderness for one wild super bowl winning year.
I don't know, I think I'd rather make the playoffs six years in a row than go once, win it all, and have no hope for the rest of the decade. It's hard to get excited about a team that has no chance, and being out of playoff contention by Week 10 is no fun.

I wonder, though, would you really rather have Jon Gruden than Marvin Lewis? I give Lewis the edge, and when you throw two first-round draft picks and two second-round draft picks into the pot, it's a no-brainer.

Quote:
I am amazed though that some of you think Snyder is worse than an owner who's team has been in a funk for decades through his own tight fisted penny pinching.
Thing is, this isn't about decades, it's the last five seasons. And over that time, neither Washington nor Arizona has made the playoffs. Bidwill has harmed the Cards with his cheapness, no doubt. But Snyder's list of offenses is far longer.

He's thrown money around like a fool, and the team has been in salary cap hell ever since that ridiculous Deion signing. During the 2000 season, he personally demanded that Brad Johnson be pulled for Jeff George. Then, he fired Norv Turner with three games left, even though Washington had a winning record and was in playoff contention. They dropped 2 of 3, finished 8-8, and missed the postseason in a year they would have been legit Super Bowl contenders.

One year later, he fired Marty Schottenheimer, who had done everything asked of him and was on an 8-3 hot streak. His replacement: Steve Spurrier. That April, Snyder took Patrick Ramsey instead of Toniu Fonoti or LeCharles Bentley, because he wanted a "sexy" pick. Washington coaches have spent the last three years desperately trying to keep Ramsey off the field.

After Washington's worst season since the Heath Shuler Era, Spurrier resigned and Joe Gibbs was coaxed out of retirement, but Snyder and the hapless Vinny Cerrato remained in charge of the team's personnel decisions. Which explains Mark Brunell's, um, generous contract. And the trades with Denver each of the last two seasons.

Washington went through five head coaches and five defensive coordinators from 2000-04. No other team had more than three. Snyder's interventions in 2000 likely cost the team a playoff spot (7-3 with Johnson, 1-5 with George; .538 with Turner, .333 without him). Replacing Schottenheimer with Spurrier probably cost the team at least one more playoff appearance. Crippling the salary cap didn't help. "Sexy" draft picks and stupid trades didn't help. Snyder's also the guy who charged money for training camp, which entitled opposing scouts to attend as long as they paid the $10. That's without even getting into his crimes against the team's tradition.

Even with all that, I won't argue with people who think Bidwill's done more damage than Snyder. But, uh, a very strong case can be made for Danny Boy.

Re: Tom Benson, the Saints are 151-152 since he assumed ownership of the team. They were the Aints from 1967-82, with no winning seasons, no playoff appearances, and only two years (out of 16) with more than five wins. Benson turned the team around. They're .500, they've won the NFC West, won a playoff game, and only have two seasons with fewer than six wins.

Over the last five years, NO is 42-38 with playoffs in '00.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #15
Sport Syndicate
Rookie Player

Sport Syndicate is on a distinguished road
Default Bidwell is a bum

Quote:

I think I read somewhere, that Bill Bidwell is the only NFL owner who's main job, is his football team. The others all have business interests outside of the sport. Probably why Bills been such a cheap skate all these years.
Actually, Bidwell is loaded. He used to own the team when it was in Chicago and his family still has many business interests up there including Sportsman Park. They are quite active in the Horse Racing Industry. His is as tight as they come.

However, I would like to include the McCaskey Family which owns the Bears on the list as well.
Sport Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote