Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default D-Rays Clean House

Stuart Sternberg assumed control of the D-Rays today and promptly fired GM Chuck LaMar, Assistant GM Scott Proefrock, and Player Personnel Director Cam Bonifay. This comes days after the team bought out Lou Pinella. It is about time the Rays take some steps in righting the ship here. Maybe now they can get some fresh blood in there and get this team competitive. He seems committed to getting it right here. They have a ton of young talent to work with all that is missing is some quality arms.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2182576
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree. The D-Rays have talent and are in better shape than many small-market clubs, so this is a step in the right direction. Aubrey Huff is a great slugger.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Sternburg was on local am radio today. Which in it's self is a first but, he was fielding calls from fans and is actually not charging to park at the Trop next year. When asked if he had plans to move the team he seemingly got upset. He said that wasn't why he took over the team and had been following fan interaction for the past year. Thus far after one day in charge he certainly did and said everything right.

NOW GET SOME DAMN PITCHING.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

The Rays have some great, speedy hitters. Like themush mentioned, there one downfall is terrible pitching. The one bright spot in the bullpen is Danny Baez. Plus, they seem to give the Yankees trouble all the time now.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

They have more than just Denys Baez, not much more mind you. Scott Kazmir looked like he belonged in the majors the second half of the season going 7-2 with a 2.79 ERA and striking out 92 in 84 innings. Chad Orvella emerged as a solid setup guy the second half of the year. Unfortunately they have nothing looming on the horizon in the minors.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Whoops, forgot about Kazmir. I remember seeing comments from several Red Sox players about how impressive Kazmir was.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
themush
Banned

With the possition players they have in the minors (namely B.J Upton and Delmon Young) we have more then enough talent on the field. We have too many outfielders and not enough pitchers. Soo what would you do? Joe Borowski did a very good job for the Rays this year. I hope he stays around as well.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

To be honest, I am very surprised that Aubrey Huff is still around. With the number of teams supposedly after him they probably could have moved him for a couple of decent pitching prospects. They can't sit on Young forever and given they have new management in charge I would not be at all surprised to see him in Tampa next year. Carl Crawford is not going anywhere and I doubt they can get anything for Baldelli until he shows he has recovered from his injuries and can still play. Then you have Jonny Gomes and Damon Hollins who had pretty productive years as well. Upton can hit with the best of them, problem is he committed 53 errors at Durham this year. The outfield may end up being where he plays at the major league level due to his excellent speed.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:11 PM   #9
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Carl Crawford would be my pick off the D-Rays. cleaning out the front office was long over due.

their ballpark looks like a warehouse. baseball should be played outdoors in FL.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #10
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong
their ballpark looks like a warehouse. baseball should be played outdoors in FL.
Sternberg has promised to improve the stadium by next year. As for playing outside in westcentral Florida during the summer...impossible. Thunderstorms every afternoon, chance of rain in the 60% range every day. Not to mention the 90+ degree afternoons.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:52 AM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Huff could be traded for some pitching. I know a team with plenty of pitching that could use a decent bat and a move could be in the works.
The Twins could trade Kyle Lohse and JC Romero to the D'Rays for Huff and a prospect. This move would allow BJ Upton to stay at SS, Cantu to move to 3B and everyone is happy.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #12
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

How old is the ballpark in Tampa? was it built for the D'Rays? I'm not sure how willing they would be down there in Florida to build a retractable roof stadium to take advantage of the mostly good weather.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #13
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

the stadium was first built for the Tampa Bay Lighting in 1990. in 1996 they totalled remodeled it for baseball and the Lighting moved to a new venue. it's the first ballpark w/ a cigar bar.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:25 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsong
Carl Crawford would be my pick off the D-Rays. cleaning out the front office was long over due.

Yeah, he would be the choice of most but if the Rays are serious about building a winning franchise Crawford is one of the guys you build around and it would probably take a king's ransom to pry him loose.

catman, you lost me there how does trading Huff make it possible for Upton to remain at SS and Cantu to move to third? Lugo and Upton's suspect glove is what is keeping him in Durham these days. I wouldn't be at all suprised to see Upton moved to second or the outfield. They could move Cantu to third right now if they wanted to Huff rarely if ever plays third anymore. He logged only 21 innings at third this year and spends the bulk of his time at DH or RF. Cantu and Alex Gonzalez split the bulk of the time there.

When Larry Walker and Reggie Sanders went on the DL in the middle of the year I half-expected the Cards to give up one or two of their prospects to try and pry Huff loose as insurance and Walker's eventual successor next season.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

I would definitley keep Crawford. He's pretty much the "star" of the Devil Rays. Like others have mentioned, they could get some solid pitching by trading Aubrey Huff.