Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-18-2006, 07:50 AM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default Favre breaks all time passing yards?

Just for fun... I'm sure this has been topic of debate some time in the past - but I was just crunching some numbers the other night.
If Brett Favre returns next year with the Pack, and has a good season. Do you think he would return for a shot at breaking Marino's all time passing record in 2007?
As it stands now, Favre needs 7,891 yards to break Marino's record. That is about 3,945 a season (over 2 seasons). Favre averages around 3,829 yards a season. Last year was his worst season I've ever seen, yet he still managed 3,881 yards passing... not bad (led NFC). In the 14 seasons he's started, he threw for over 4,000 or more yards 4 times. I'd argue that he can no longer do that, but one of those times was in 2004 (4,088).
So, if by chance he throws for 4,000 or more in 2006 - do you think he would return in 2007? Would you like to see him break Marino's record? (I would).
Old 02-18-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I would love to see Brett break Marino's record, but I don't think he will play past this coming season (if even this season).
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I like Favre also, but I think he has 1 year maximum left in him. No record for him.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I would like to see favre break it. With that said it ain't happening because I think he has already played his last game. Which means we have to wait until Peyton breaks it which I believe he will.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, Favre has gone on record as saying the records don't mean anything to him and that he is playing for another Super Bowl, but one cannot help but wonder what he is playing for if he chooses to come back to Green Bay next year.

I would say he has a legit shot at getting the mark if he plays two more years, but I am not so sure he has two more years left in him especially if he goes through another season like he did in '05.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I just wonder... They lose their top WR all season and a few other key players and Favre still led the NFC in passing yards with 3,881. What if they pick up some weapons in the draft - everyone's healthy, he throws for over 4,000 and GB has a decent season... say 9-7.
Would he come back for that last season knowing he has a great shot at it?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I really have no idea if he's coming back, but the last indication in January was he's not (and as Tom Jackson said, let's see what he says a few months later when he's relaxed). The striking thing about Favre is his mind seemginly gave out before his body. How often does that happen?! I don't really understand why a 36-year-old is having mental problems in football. You'd think all that experience would make him play smarter, but he makes stupid throws too often. It's a great mystery to me.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Towards the very end there I think a good part of it had to do with him making some bad decisions due to his heart really not being in it any more. It is tough to perform at an elite level and stay focused when your heart is really not into what you are doing. There were a couple of games where he looked totally dejected on the sidelines and that is not like Favre. Typically he is the guy rallying the troops on the sideline getting them ready for the next possession.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
jim crack corn
Banned

jim crack corn is on a distinguished road

The all-time passing yards mark is not nearly as significant as, say, the all-time rushing yards mark. Also, I really don't think numbers and stats are as meaningful in Favre's mind as it is in most other 'superstar' player's minds.

If he believes it's going to be another bad year of football in Green Bay next season I think he'll retire. He's a stubborn SOB though, so that 'bad' is going to have to be pretty clear to him. I won't be surprised to see him playing again this season.
jim crack corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:47 AM   #10
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
I just wonder... They lose their top WR all season and a few other key players and Favre still led the NFC in passing yards with 3,881. What if they pick up some weapons in the draft - everyone's healthy, he throws for over 4,000 and GB has a decent season... say 9-7.
Would he come back for that last season knowing he has a great shot at it?

But it would take an absolute miracle for the Packers to get in the playoffs in 2006: Of the more than 300 teams that won fewer than five games in a season (not counting strike or war-shortened seasons) since 1933, only one - exactly one - made the playoffs both the season before and the season after, and that was in the old AFL (the 1962 Chargers).

However, the Packers do take the biggest drop in strength of schedule of any team in the NFL in 2006, based on the 2005 final records of their 2006 opponents vs. that of their 2005 opponents - and the last six teams in the same situation improved their records the following year by a combined 21 games, with every one of them moving up by at least two.

Last edited by Anthony; 02-20-2006 at 05:17 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #11
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Didn't the Packers get hit EXTREMELY hard by injuries last year, though? I think that, and the fact just has a sliver of something left and probably feels like he wants to prove something, makes me think the Packers have an excellent chance of drastically improving next year...if Favre comes back, and I'm yet anothier one that wants to see him get the record.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

So Brett Favre and Barry Bonds are not in altogether dissimilar situations then.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #13
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
So Brett Favre and Barry Bonds are not in altogether dissimilar situations then.
Man, I wish Barry Bonds would fall off the face of the Earth........:redhot:

But that's for another discussion at a later time and different thread!
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #14
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
eh, remember now - most NFL fans love Favre.... most MLB fans hate Bonds and he knows it now. He went from hero to zero over night - I'm sure that's in his head a little too. Even Hank Aaron spoke out against him... I think many want him to leave the sport, where on the other hand, many people (me included) want Favre to stick around for one (maybe two more) season(s).