Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Spurrier got some pull...

Spurrier, admissions now on same page

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier said Thursday he is positive university officials will revise the admissions process for athletes to his satisfaction.

Last weekend, Spurrier said the process left him embarrassed and angry after two of his recruits were denied admission to the university despite being cleared by the NCAA to enroll.

In response, the school has created a committee that includes president Andrew Sorensen, athletic director Eric Hyman, professors, coaches and other administrators to discuss the university's special admissions process for athletes.

The committee plans to have its recommendations to Sorensen and the university board of trustees by the end of September, according to the school.

Over the weekend, Spurrier threatened to leave South Carolina if things didn't change. He seemed much more optimistic Thursday.

"I feel positive President Sorensen and the university administrators will revise our recruiting process to where we're all satisfied and we can eagerly and enthusiastically go about our business in recruiting," Spurrier said in a statement.

Associated Press

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7108668

If the standards don't suit me...change 'em.

Yep, sounds about right.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

If the NCAA cleared them to play, why would the university not do so? That is the question I would like to see an answer to.

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Levers View Post
If the NCAA cleared them to play, why would the university not do so? That is the question I would like to see an answer to.
Well, some schools actually don't bend their admissions policies as much as others. Schools like Wake, Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, etc. won't necessarily admit an athlete just because they meet the NCAA's underwhelming standards.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

Correct, but none of the schools you list are state schools. I was under the impression that the state school qualification fell pretty much in line with the NCAA.

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Correct, but none of the schools you list are state schools. I was under the impression that the state school qualification fell pretty much in line with the NCAA.
As best as I know the qualifications vary from school to school though state institutions tend to have a more uniform process in not just admittance but other issues down the line. For example, in Ohio there is a uniform system of GERs (General Ed. Requirements) so that if you go to one state school and then transfer to another...all your credits go along with you.

In Ohio it's harder to get into Ohio State or Ohio U. than an Akron or Youngstown State. All are state schools (think we got 9 of 'em). But the difference is minimal in comparison to say an Akron vs. Oberlin (private school up the road near Cleveland).

Southern state schools (and I swear this isn't a malacious shot at Dixie...LOL) tend to have the softest standards in the nation for admittance.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 08-13-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Depends on the school, the state, and the conference. The state and conferences are potentially overriding factors as well. Although I doubt that would be the case in this instance.

UNC is part of the state university system and their standards are a bit higher than most of the other state institutions in North Carolina.

The ACC only allows each institution to admit 2 partial qualifiers per year.

I believe state institutions tend to be more uniform and lenient when it comes to in-state residents. I know if you are a resident of the state it costs about $3 or $4K per year for tuition to go to NC State but it is something like $15K if you are not a state resident. They are also required by law to have a certain percentage of their students come from within the state.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
UNC is part of the state university system and their standards are a bit higher than most of the other state institutions in North Carolina.
I'll take your word for it but the difference is most likely minimal (as I noted in my last post) within the state university system. South Carolina is a state school in the southern part of the U.S. I would venture to say a 15 on the ACT, a pulse and a 2.5 GPA would do the trick. I don't know for sure though cuz I've never dealt with southern schools but there is no way in hell the standards are tough...just trust me on that.

So basically Spurrier is an idiot.