Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #46
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
That's what happens when you build a stadium in the middle of a retirement community.
Based on the way they were playing, the Rays probably were chasing a demographic they thought would be more of a captured audience since retirees don't stray far.

That's also why they dropped the 'Devil' tag since most seniors are afraid they'll be seeing him soon.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #47
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Alright Tark who's it going to be the Cubbies or the W.Sox?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #48
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

As far as what?

If you mean post season, the Sox may make it by default if the Twins continue to lose but they could as easily do the same for Minnesota. The Sox had too many weaknesses early in the year & while they've done a good job holding it together this long, they're not strong enough for a trip too far in the playoffs.

The loss of Quentin/Crede, & now having Konerko with an MCL sprain just when he finally started to hit are just bad omens to instill much hope for any overly optimistic Sox fan to ignore.

The Cubs are as good as anyone out there for the most part but with the sketchy health of Z & Harden, it could get a lot rougher. I'm still not too concerned about this recent slide due to a few variables that don't smack of 'collapse', just a rough stretch. I also think they've got a decent 'tight race' mentality that'll keep them from just tanking it.

I wouldn't get too nuts about the Rays either if I was you. They've been solid all year long & I think it's a good thing to have someone breathing down your neck to make players rise to the task at hand. I think the cry of 'collapse' is more a media creation than anything.

Trust me, I don't want any part of them when it comes to playing Chicago.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #49
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I swear to God I feel dumber every time I suffer through another broadcast with Rick Sutcliffe.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #50
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Since the Adam Dunn trade went down Arizona's record is 11-16 (.407) they were a .508 team when they acquired him.

The Reds are 14-13 (.518) and they were a .437 team at the time of the trade. Interesting how the Reds are playing better ball since Dunn was moved and the D-Backs have seemingly gone in the tank losing 14 of 18 games averaging a mere 3.4 runs per game.

Just saying is all....
Old 09-11-2008, 01:11 AM   #51
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I guess Dunn was not the answer to the D'Backs' season this year?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 AM   #52
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

As to the Twins/White Sox, I think the 3 games in the Dome later this month will decide it.

Catman
Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 AM   #53
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
As to the Twins/White Sox, I think the 3 games in the Dome later this month will decide it.
Agreed. It's almost as if they're both going thru the motions, waiting on the final showdown.

I'm sure Mush had about 3 nervous breakdowns during last night's 14 inning nail biter. I'm still in shock Boston didn't come back after they had the bags filled with no outs.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #54
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I guess Dunn was not the answer to the D'Backs' season this year?
Well, you know my stance on the guy. I'll always maintain he is not a guy you can build a lineup around. To me he is closer to Richie Sexson than say a Carlos Delgado or Ryan Howard.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #55
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

The D'Backs have gone from being and "up and coming" young team to being a mediorcre team in less than a season. They have holes at too many places to be considered a serious contender at this time. Losing Hudson and Byrnes when they did, and a couple of questionable trades (Quentin would have looked better in their lineup than Dunn does) certainly did nothing to help them.

Catman
Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #56
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know I think they have a decent core of young talent still on the roster. Conor Jackson, Stephen Drew, Justin Upton, Mark Reynolds, and Chris Young are all 26 or younger. I think their biggest issue is one of having too many young bats in the lineup still learning the nuances of plated discipline at the big league level. With Reynolds, Young, and Dunn they have three guys in the every day lineup who are on pace to strike out over 160 times this year with Reynolds on track to go over 200. Upton would have joined them had he not gotten hurt and missed about six weeks of the season. He is on pace for 126 as it is. As a team they strike out once every 4.2 at bats, they rank 2nd in baseball in Ks and 26th in team average which is why Dunn was not a really great fit for Arizona.

Aside from Jackson, Hudson, and Drew the D-Backs were already a collection of .250 hitters who strike out a lot to begin with. The only area where Dunn gives them a significant boost is home runs and drawing walks. The problem there is he does not hit well enough to warrant batting in the top third of the order. Arizona's biggest problem is they have nobody they feel comfortable sticking in the 3 or 4 slot. Dunn is the closest thing they have to a cleanup hitter the problem being he has hit only .230 from the 4 spot over the past 3+ seasons and truth be told he has been the most productive hitting out of the 6 spot. They are a collection of 1 and 2 and 5 through 8 hitters which is why Texeira would have been a better addition than Dunn as he has shown he can be a prodcutive hitter out of the 3 or 4 spot.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #57
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Well, you know my stance on the guy. I'll always maintain he is not a guy you can build a lineup around. To me he is closer to Richie Sexson than say a Carlos Delgado or Ryan Howard.
I agree, he is much more productive than Howard or Delagado.

He gets on base more and hits more home runs per plate appearance. He makes fewer outs too.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #58
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
I agree, he is much more productive than Howard or Delagado.

He gets on base more and hits more home runs per plate appearance. He makes fewer outs too.
Actually history shows he really doesn't but nice try though. Per career 162 game averages Dunn's OBP is .382 while Howard's is .378 the difference is negligible there.

For there respective careers Howard hits one HR per every 13.9 plate appearance while Dunn goes one for every 17.

Let us not even mention the fact that Howard's RBI numbers dwarf Dunn's. It is all Dunn can do to drive in 100 runs a year while Howard can be counted on for 130+ every year.

This is also the first season where Howard has hit below Dunn's career high of .266

I'll take Howard's 130+ RBIs and extra 30 points in batting average any time.

Per their career 162 game averages Howard goes .277/50/140 while Dunn is just .247/40/96.

I should clarify that when I reference Delgado I am referencing his peak years in Toronto not where he is at today.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #59
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Let us not even mention the fact that Howard's RBI numbers dwarf Dunn's. It is all Dunn can do to drive in 100 runs a year while Howard can be counted on for 130+ every year.
Come on Doub... You know that RBI is the most misleading statistic in baseball.

It is entirely team dependent.

Let me know when Adam Dunn is one a team with 3 MVP candidates and an offense that is always on-base, then we can compare RBIs. That's not even taking into account the fact that Howard is getting about 100 more ABs than Dunn this season.

Until then, it is apples and oranges.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #60
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

I'm sure Mush had about 3 nervous breakdowns during last night's 14 inning nail biter. I'm still in shock Boston didn't come back after they had the bags filled with no outs.
Jesus Christ. The minute I saw Perci come in I had a stroke. Sorry but, Perci is way over rated. He really needs to retire again. Grant Balfour should be our closer.
Closed Thread