Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 01-17-2002, 08:26 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Question All - Star Talk

This is the thread we'll use for any All-Star talk for the 2002 installment of the ASW, held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Today, the final rosters were announced, barring any injuries (asterisks indicated starters, as voted on by the fans)

WORLD ALL-STARS
Pavol Demitra
Markus Naslund
Sergei Gonchar
Dominik Hasek *
Patrik Elias
Zigmund Palffy
Tomas Kaberle
Nikolai Khabibulin
Sergei Fedorov*
Teemu Selanne *
Nicklas Lidstrom *
Tommy Salo
Jaromir Jagr *
Mats Sundin
Jaroslav Modry
Sami Kapanen
Alexei Yashin
Sandis Ozolinsh *
Jere Lehtinen
Alexei Zhamnov
Alexei Zhitnik

NORTH AMERICAN ALL-STARS (read CANADIAN-MINUS-4-AMERICAN ALL-STARS)
Vincent Damphousse *
Owen Nolan *
Rob Blake *
Sean Burke
Eric Daze
Mark Parrish
Ed Jovanovski
Patrick Roy *
Jarome Iginla
Jeremy Roenick
Brian Leetch
Jose Theodore
Paul Kariya
Joe Sakic
Chris Pronger *
Mario Lemieux
Brendan Shanahan *
Brian Rafalski
Eric Lindros
Joe Thornton
Wade Redden
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

We talked about this in other forums but how about the "All-Stars" having not-so-all-star-type-like-seasons??

Lemieux -- 3 goals?
Selanne -- meh.

..and the NHL!! -- that dumb rule where at least one player must make the All-Star team from each NHL team? -- KARIYA!!! not in the top 50 in scoring this year!???

Where's Ilya Kovalchuk & Dany Heatly (ATL), and CuJo (TOR)!????

I think we need another name for this game 'cuz it's really not a 2002 version of the All-Star game.... more like 1997 or something

Hats off to the fans, though, for giving Damphousse a well-deserved start :nod:
Old 01-19-2002, 06:09 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree - fans aren't ignorant just in the NBA, MLB, or NFL, in this matter, but the NHL, too.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 10:09 AM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

We're here!!!!! With almost every NHL team playing last night, the first 55 games-or-so of each teams' regular season schedule came to an end, and the league's "All-Stars" are heading to Los Angeles for the All-Star Weekend.

I think the NHL has the best ASW events of any sport (though I'm a 'lil biased )... I mean, the NBA can't get its stars to compete in the Skills Competitions... the NFL is after the season when no one really cares... and MLB does a pretty good job though, except that since the managers choose their own AS teams, you have to wonder about some of the choices moreso than in other sports.

NHL? -- players are laughing and having a good time during the Skills Competition, but are still very competitive and the quality of the Skills events is superb. Plus, the "YoungStars" game this year is going to add a lot -- that will really be an exciting game of hockey. The one fault of the NHL during the ASW is the actuall GAME -- The only thing I'm going to like is seeing potential the Team Canada Olympic line-up... players will get used to playing on each other's lines, especially with Quinn coaching them. But as for the quality of play -- no hits, no defense, and the goalies try their best but you can't really do much when you got a 3-on-1 with Sakic-Lemieux-Kariya coming at you!
Old 02-01-2002, 07:47 PM   #5
mteeter
Grizzled Veteran

mteeter is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I REALLY haven't been following the NHL this year. Very much so unlike me. Too much attention to NFL and NBA.

I see some good names and some bad names, but that's usually how it goes with these things. I always enjoy watching the NHL All Star competition & game. When is it this year? (see, I really haven't been following!)
Old 02-01-2002, 11:01 PM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

I am just glad my Sharks have two starters to represent us in the All-Star game. I mean Lee, doesn't it suprise you that the fans picked Owen Nolan to start in the Game? Now I am a huge Owen Nolan Fan, but my opinion was always that he was underrated, didn't get any respect. Not this year. What is your take on this?

P.S. Is Jerome Iginla a rookie, beacuse if not, how come I never heard his name before? This guy is great!
Old 02-02-2002, 01:31 AM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Matt -- The All-Star Weekend is THIS WEEKEND, with the SuperSkills Competition going on earlier tonight (I'd tell you who won, but I haven't watched it yet . . . CBC is replaying it at 8:30 AM (CST) tomorrow (Saturday) morning, so I'm going to watch it then. The All-Star game goes at 3:00 PM EST on ABC in the Statse... it's on CBC as well in Canada, with a pregame show starting at 2:30 PM EST.

The J -- No, it doesn't surprise me because with the game being in the L.A./San Jose area, it is obvious that the fans from there were "stuffing" the ballot boxes.... however, with the game actually being in L.A. and not in San Jose, I'm surprised no Kings were named to the starting line-up . . . . .

Iginla is NOT a rookie -- three years ago he was traded from the Dallas Stars to the Calgary Flames for Joe Nieuwendyk... actually, I'm not sure if Iginla himself was traded, or just a draft pick that ended up being Jarome Iginla but nevertheless, Iginla's been in the NHL for 3 years or so, but with V.Bure being the "go-to" guy in Calgary the past 3 years, Iginla's never been given the chance to shine. With Bure out of the way, moving to Florida to be with his big brother and the Panthers, Iginla is taking advantage of the spotlight. If you followed hockey closely, you would have heard of him because everyone up here in Canada and especially in Alberta knew he was going to be a big star one day... otherwise, it's obvious you would not have heard of him because he always played behind Valeri Bure.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:45 PM   #8
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

But do you think Owen Nolan deserves to be a starter on the team? Because I was shocked, like I said, I always thought people overlooked him.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:07 PM   #9
mteeter
Grizzled Veteran

mteeter is on a distinguished road

Whew, good thing I woke up reasonably early and came here to check out the boards. Managed to see most of the YoungStars game (wow, that was boring) and the SuperSkills competition. Unfortunately I had a family event and missed the All-Star Game :crying:

Iginla looked pretty good in the skills competition.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:44 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by mteeter
Managed to see most of the YoungStars game (wow, that was boring) and the SuperSkills competition. Unfortunately I had a family event and missed the All-Star Game :crying:
I didn't find the YoungStars game that boring. Everytime Kovalchuk got the puck, something happened. He was amazing (though I still don't like him as a person because of what he did at the World Junior Hockey Championships in 2001), and Loungo was brilliant, too. I think that team was stacked -- it wasn't fair to have Loungo AND Kovalchuk AND Heatley all on the same team!!!

The SuperSkills wasn't bad -- I like the rapid fire that they had 3 years ago much better than the "Pass & Score" event, but it was still OK -- at least Team Canada knows that at least 1 person on the team can beat Hasek in a shootout should that be the case @ SLC02!

The ASG was, by far, better than most recent All-Star Games. Khabby should've been the AS-MVP, but Daze was a good choice, too. No new technologies shown off this year at the game, though. That floating cloud cam they had in Colorado last year was cool, but they had NOTHING good this year except the regular cam underneat the center ice faceoff dot.