Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 06-11-2002, 12:00 AM   #1
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

WildVikings is on a distinguished road
Default NHL Team Name Origins

Choosing and appropriate team name can have a big impact upon the marketability of an NHL Franchise and alot of thought and planning often goes into the selection of a name.

Recent trends have resulted in teams having their names develop from publicly held competitions, but this is not a new fad. One of the original six teams had its name decided upon this way. Can you point out which one?

Here is all the information that I can find on the origins of existing teams names:

The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Many people call this team the "Anaheim Mighty Ducks", but just like the Disney movie the name is "The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim". I still feel sorry for players that must announce to their friends... "I am a mighty duck".

Atlanta Thrashers
The teams name "Thrashers" was inspired by the state bird of Georgia, the Brown Thrasher. It was choosen by Time Warner Vice Chairman, R.E. Turner.

Boston Bruins
Businessman Charles Adams wanted his new franchise to match the colors of his stores(Brown and Yellow). He also wanted the team to have a name that implied strength and power, he held a public contest and the fan that choose "Bruins" won.

Buffalo Sabres
This team held a public contest to name the team, they ownership group was looking for anything that strayed away from the Buffalo Theme.

Calgary Flames
This story begins in Atlanta, where the team used to play its games before moving to Calgary. The Atlanta Flames were named after a historical event during the Civil War, where Atlanta was set ablaze. When the team moved to Calgary, they took a vote from the public and decided to keep the same name.

Carolina Hurricanes
This team is obviously named after the powerful storms that periodically sweep through the area.

Chicago Blackhawks
This team is named after a World War I Battalion named the "Black Hawk Battalion".

Colorado Avalanche
When the team moved to Colorado they held a contest in the local newspaper to determine the name of the new franchise. The name that won the contest was the Denver Cougars.

The new owners suddenly decided that they would rather name them the Colorado Avalanche instead, even though the name wasnt even on the ballots for the public contest.

Columbus Blue Jackets
The Blue Jackets name pays homage to Ohio's contributions to American history and the great pride and patriotism exhibited by its citizens, especially during the Civil War as both the state of Ohio and the city of Columbus were significantly influential on the Union Army.

Dallas Stars
This story starts in Minnesota where French explorers, fur traders, and voyagers were instrumental in settling the area. On the State emblem is the saying "l'etoile du nord" which means the star of the north. When the North Stars moved to Dallas in the "Lone Star State", the team simply dropped the word "North".

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit started out as the Detroit Cougars, and then the Falcons, before finally settling down with the Red Wings. The "Red Wings" were named by team President James Norris. Norris used to play for a team called the Montreal Winged Wheelers, and he named Detroits team after his former team.

Edmonton Oilers
Edmonton named its team after the abundant Oil supply found in the Canadian Province of Alberta.

Florida Panthers
Owner Wayne Huizenaga wanted to draw attention to the Panther, an endangered native wildcat of Florida.

Los Angeles Kings
A Canadian born entrpreneur Jack Kent Cooke, who owned the Lakers at the time, brought the team to Los Angeles. In naming them he wanted the team to sound like royalty. The Los Angeles Kings were born.

Montreal Canadiens
When the Montreal Canadiens came into the league, the team was comprised 100% of French-Canadians, and the offiical name of the team is Club du Hockey Canadiens. Their C & H Logo was designed to mean Hockey Club. [C]lub du [H]ockey.

Minnesota Wild
The second franchise in Minnesota got its name by having a vote from the public. Wild is meant to represent the raw natural ruggedness and beauty of the surrounding area.

On a side note, the Wild are one of only a few NHL Teams that dont use a plural name. Can you point out the rest?

Nashville Predators
The finding of a Sabre-toothed tiger fossil in the area sparked the name for this NHL Franchise. The idea also plays into their team logo.

New Jersey Devils
Comes from a legend: a witch allegedly gave birth to a demon known as "Jersey Devil" in 1735. The Jersey Devil was alleged to be a half-man, half-beast that stalked N.J.'s Pine Barrens or the area surrounding Lake Hopatcong for 250 years, causing fear and terror and basically mutilating his victims in an extreme display of guts and gore. Others say the Devil was the 13th child of Mother Leeds, jinxed by gypsies.

Anyway, they named their team after the folklore.

New York Islanders
The name came from a suggestion made by original co-owner Roy Boe's wife. Instead of naming the team the Long Islanders, she suggested calling the team the New York Islanders in an effort to win over some unhappy New York Ranger fans.

New York Rangers
All I have on this one so far is that the first name of the owner came into play. His name was "Tex", and it was "Tex's Rangers" This was a play on words as it sounded like the Texas Rangers, the police force in Texas.

Ottawa Senators
This team is named after the former Ottawa Senators team that was around during the early 1900's. Ottawa is also the Capital of Canada, where the Senate is located, thus making it obvious as to the naming convention.

Philadelphia Flyers
Public voted on this name which was actually submitted as "Fliers". The team changed it to Flyers siting that it would fit better phonetically with Philadelphia.

Phoenix Coyotes
I am not sure of the exact reason behind this one, most likely it is a combination of both. First is just the sheer number of Coyotes that are in Arizona. Secondly, is that Coyotes are percieved, by the native populations, to be spiritual animals, and are therefore often depicted in artwork from the area.

Pittburgh Penguins
The management held a contest and chose Penguins, partly because the team is in PENnsylvania, or named after their home arena, the Civic Arena, nicknamed "The Igloo" because of its igloo shape. Take your pick. Probably a combination of both.

San Jose Sharks
This team was named via public contest. Out of the 5,000 entries recieved, team officals decided upon "Sharks". An appropriate name because there are 7 varieties of shark found in the Pacific Ocean near San Jose, which is home to several shark research facilities. One part of Bay Area is known as Red Triangle due to its shark population.

St. Louis Blues
Anyway, the team was named after the deep roots that "Blues" music has in St. Louis. Owner Sid Salamon, Jr., drew inspiration from the famous song by W.C. Handy.

Side note, this team was almost sold to an ownership group in Saskatchewan. In fact the only thing that prevented the team from moving was approval from the League, they said no.

Tampa Bay Lightning
The abundant lighting storms in the Tampa Bay Area, make it the lightning capital of the world. That and Tampa Bay Lightning just rolls off the tongue.

Toronto Maple Leafs
This story begins in World War I where an Army Regiment was named after the Maple Leaf which was associated with Canada, The Maple Leaf Regiment then inspired the Toronto based team to change their name to the Toronto Maple Leafs. The team was formerly called the Toronto Arenas.

In 1965 the Maple Leaf was placed on the Canada's National Flag.

Vancouver Canucks
Of course most of you know that the word Canucks stands for Canadian. There is also some folk lore involved here where a logger/hockey player named Johnny Canuck was a local hero.

Washington Capitals
Named after the capital of the United States of America.

Winnipeg Jets
Before you quickly answer that the team was named the Winnipeg Jets because Bobby Hull was their first player, I would like to you to think long and hard about the history of the team.

You see, The Winnipeg Jets were a WHL team in 1968, then they jumped into the WHA in 1972, and finally made the NHL in the 1979 WHA/NHL merger. Well, Bobby Hull was Winnipeg's first ever draft pick in the WHA. So, as you can see the name Jets predates Bobby Hull's arrival by at least 4 years.

The theory I am now working on is this....I know that Canadian Military Forces saw their first air combat in Jets during the Korean War. My thinking is that the Jets used by Canadian Forces were manufactured at least partly manufactured in Winnipeg.

Also, the term "Golden Jet" has ties to an aerobatic team in Winnipeg named the Golden Centennaires back in 1967. This is likely where Bobby Hull got his nickname from.

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.
WildVikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 08:53 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I haven't read all of this.... just parts... but why so much on Winnipeg???... are you trying to suck up to me!?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 12:40 PM   #3
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

I have lots on the Jets for several reasons.

1. I used to live just across the Manitoba border in Saskatchewan and Winnipeg for years was the closest NHL team I could go see. Therefore I was a big fan on the Jets and made plenty of trips to go see them.

2. When I did research into the name "Jets" I found 4-5 different sources that state they named the team after Bobby Hull, the "Golden Jet". But from my above post you can clearly see that there is evidence to believe the reverse was true. In essence I was hoping someone would confirm or confront my current belief.

3. I never suck up to anyone. Except maybe the referee-in-chief of the WHA one time when I was hoping for a job, but that was an isolated incident.

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:50 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by WildVikings
3. I never suck up to anyone. Except maybe the referee-in-chief of the WHA one time when I was hoping for a job, but that was an isolated incident.
Yeesh.... just joking
Old 06-11-2002, 10:13 PM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

OK so I just read this.....

I'm am almost positivte that in the C/H logo for montreal, the H stands for "les Habitants," not "hockey." What are your sources on this.

About Wild... other teams nicknames that do not end in "s" are Avalanche... ummmmmm........ can't think of any others...

Coyotes -- I thought theirs was a nickname contest also, but the reason it was picked was probably because of, like you said, the resemblence and number of coyotes in Arizona.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:03 PM   #6
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

As of 1917 the official name of the Montreal Canadiens has been Club de Hockey Canadien. They designed a logo with a C and a H. The "H" stands for Hockey, at least that is what they intended it to stand for.

In 1924 a reporter from the USA, named Tex Richard, asked this question. An someone played a prank on ole Tex. They told him that the "H" stood for Habitants, a french word used to describe farmers in Quebec. They said all the players were farmers from the area so they named the team after them.

Well, Tex Richard bought into the story and the rumour spread like wild fire. Habitants was obviously shortened to "habs" and ever since there have been people who Still believe that the H stands for Habs.

Well I am here to finally put an end to old Tex's Rumour.

Old 06-11-2002, 11:20 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

well.... that's their official unofficial nickname ( ) now so there's no putting an end to that "rumor" but I'm gonna do my own research on that...... not that i dont believe you or anything . . . . . .. hehehehehe....
Old 06-12-2002, 01:23 AM   #8
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

From the official Montreal Canadiens website.....

http://www.canadiens.com/english/hist/
http://www.canadiens.com/english/infos/

Explains the renaming of the team from Club Athlétique Canadien to Club du Hockey Canadien, and the adoption of the CH Logo in 1917.

Second link explains the 1924 incident where "Habs" came from. My source, a LOOOONG time Habs fan said Tex Richard was a US reporter. The Official Site says Tex Rickard was the owner of the Madison Square Gardens.

Old 06-12-2002, 08:16 AM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Well... looks like you are correct. I was stumped. Thanks for setting that straight for me.