Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-29-2002, 08:05 PM   #1
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road
Default AFC West Simply the Best

There is no comparison in which conference is the best this season! The AFC West holds that distinction hands down! They have all 3 of the NFL's undefeated teams, and a offensive machine in Kansas City who are 2-2! It is actually sad that one conference is so loaded, that all of the undefeated teams will have to play each other 2 times a piece!

As for the rest of the AFC....it is a struggle! AFC North is outright terrible, and the AFC South is it's equal! AFC East seems to be very competitive, but top teams New England and Miami were both trounced today by AFC West teams!

Here is something very very interesting now.....I never ever thought this could possibly happen, but it may now if things continue! With the new alignment the NFL has there are only 2 wildcards and 4 division winners. The AFC West will have a division winner, and possibly both wildcards.

I know there is much more football to play, but one very good team in either Miami, New England, San Diego, Denver, and Oakland is going to be left out of the playoffs, because a weak conference winner automatically gets a playoff spot! So, more than likely a team with a better record than a conference winner will not make the playoffs this season! This will make the new realignment look bad if it does happen. Still many more weeks to play...so it may even out!

Joey
Old 09-30-2002, 02:59 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

It won't make the realignment look bad, but it might make the playoff format look bad; if, say, an 8-8 team wins their division and gets a home game against a 12-4 wild-card team, the owners may revisit the seeding/home advantage issue.

Personally, I have a simple, common-sense, compromise solution to this problem: The playoff teams should be seeded strictly by record, but the first tie-breaker should be that a division winner is to be seeded higher than a wild card if they both finished with the same record.

The same principle should be applied to the wild cards: If two teams have the same record and one team finished second in their division and the other team finished third in theirs, the second-place team should have priority; this would make the division rivalries - which the league went to so much trouble to try and preserve - that much more meaningful.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:46 PM   #3
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I agree Anthony! I seriously think there is going to be a 9-7 team that will get into the playoffs out of either the AFC North or AFC South....and possibly both....which would eliminate a team who has a better record! The thought of that happening is very sickening....especially for those teams in the AFC West who play tough games every single week within the conference! Teams that play within the AFC North and South have easier schedules than those who play in the AFC East and West as well! With this new alignment....there could be some very lopsided football games in the playoffs this season!

Joey
Old 10-03-2002, 06:20 AM   #4
Anthony

Worse yet Joey, unlike in the NBA and NHL, if it happens the better team that doesn't make the playoffs will not draft ahead of the worse team that does!

Personally, I would like to see some kind of lottery in the NFL, with all 20 teams that don't make the playoffs having a mathematical shot at the #1 pick. And hey - if some 11-5 team were to win the lottery the same year as an 8-8 team made the playoffs - I say it would be poetic justice!
Old 10-03-2002, 02:10 PM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Oh really? I had no idea that it would be like that! I know the NFL bases draft picks on record, but in this case could they not take into consideration that a team went to the playoffs and one did not...therefore allowing the team with the better record to draft before the team with the worse record who went to the playoffs? I haven't even thought about that aspect yet....do you think the NFL will ever look into that...or will it actually have to happen first before they make that official...or will they ever make that official even if a case like that does happen?

Joey
Old 10-04-2002, 03:04 AM   #6
Anthony

The NFL orders its draft strictly by record; the only circumstance under which the playoffs are taken into account is to break a tie among teams that had the same record - for example, in last spring's draft, the Jets picked ahead of Baltimore (in the first round) because they were knocked out in the first round of the playoffs last year while the Ravens made it to the second (both teams finished 10-6).

In 1985, Cleveland won the AFC Central with an 8-8 record while Denver was 11-5 and didn't even make the playoffs (there were only two wild cards in each conference from 1978 until 1990, when a third was added; starting this year of course there are only two again). At the following spring's owners' meetings there was some talk about changing the rules so that all non-playoff teams from the previous season would draft ahead of all playoff teams regardless of what the regular-season records were, but the matter never even came to a vote.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:45 PM   #7
doozmart
Rookie Player

doozmart is on a distinguished road

Chiefs. Look out for them. I don't know if you can find a better team offensively in the league. If there defense holds up, NFL beware. The way the Priest works on Sunday I don't know if there is anything stopping KC. I love it.
doozmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Welcome, doozmart! :wavey: That defense question is a big "if," that's for sure!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 09:02 AM   #9
Anthony

Returning to the original topic of this thread: The AFC West no longer has the best record among the NFL's eight divisions; the NFC South does, by a half game (21-12 to the AFC West's 20-12). And with the Chargers poised for yet another second half of the season they won't want to remember but won't be able to forget, the margin is likely to widen in the weeks ahead. The Raiders also look like they're finished, but then again Carolina appears to be in trouble too, and it remains to be seen if the aging Bucs can stay up there as the season progresses.

In related news, the NFC now leads the interconference season series, with 16 victories to the AFC's 12, led by the NFC South's perfect 7-0 record against the AFC North.

And I just noticed your new title, Marc; maybe I should make a reference to what my current record is picking the prime-time games against the spread so far this season - only that would have to read "17-1. Any questions?"
Old 11-07-2002, 01:30 PM   #10
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I must say I never thought the NFC South would be a strong conference this season! I actually thought it was just as bad as the AFC South! New Orleans is much better than I had orginally expected as well as Atlanta! I expected Tampa to be good, but this division may have 3 playoff teams....and that I did not see at all.....but still plenty of time for other conferences to catch up....and for other conferences to lose respect!

Joey
Old 11-07-2002, 05:30 PM   #11
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Best record or not, I think the AFC West is still the best. There is not a single team in the division that I'd feel confident about beating.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 06:41 PM   #12
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

The Raiders will no doubt win the division. Yeah, they're struggling, loosing 4 in a row, and so on... BUT!!! I just have a feeling that they won't loose the division to likes of the Chiefs, Chargers, or even the Broncos. It's just not Raider like...
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:11 PM   #13
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Broncos have that division on lock down! Broncos easily!
Old 11-08-2002, 06:25 PM   #14
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

If you take a look down at the Broncos, they have nothing against the Raiders. Oakland is only 1 1/2 game back of the Broncos, so is not like they already have the divison won.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 01:41 AM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

The AFC West has always been a great division, but the old AFC East was pretty intense over the years and tight.