Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-22-2004, 06:25 PM   #16
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the injury factor. Lee Evans is an object lesson in jumping when the jumping's good. Fitzgerald's stock isn't likely to get much higher, he's healthy. College degrees can wait.

Dave
Old 01-22-2004, 07:12 PM   #17
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

If the Chargers do select a QB with their first pick, it would mean that they have essentially given up on Drew Brees, and I don't think they are *quite* ready to do that. I think the Charger Scouts may see a starting WR corps of Fitzgerald and Boston and start to drool, but I'm guessing they use their first pick on a non-offensive skill player.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #18
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Only problem with that, Kevin, is that there isn't anyone out there not named Fitzgerald, Manning, Roethlisberger, or Williams worthy of being the #1 pick.

Of course, this is the team who threw away the opportunity to draft Michael Vick.

Dave
Old 01-23-2004, 08:01 AM   #19
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Only problem with that, Kevin, is that there isn't anyone out there not named Fitzgerald, Manning, Roethlisberger, or Williams worthy of being the #1 pick.

Of course, this is the team who threw away the opportunity to draft Michael Vick.

Dave
Tomlinson has become one of the top backs in the NFL so you can't say it was a wasted opportunity. They have the chance now to get Eli Manning and they should take it. An offensive combo of Manning-Tomlinson-Boston could be pretty damn good in a few years. I don't see SD "dropping the ball" on a franchise QB again.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:49 PM   #20
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I forgot that they got Tomlinson from that deal... I knew they picked up Brees later on, but forgot the 1st rounder somehow...

That said, I'm not sure I'd trust the Chargers to the right thing, and with holes in SO many spots... if they traded down for a pack of 2nd and 3rd round picks, I'd be unsurprised.

Dave
Old 01-24-2004, 04:35 AM   #21
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

After letting Michael Vick slip through their grasp the way they did, there is no way the Chargers are going to let Eli Manning get away - if they do, there will be an even bigger fan revolt in San Diego than there will be in Philadelphia if the Eagles don't sign T.O.!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 08:56 PM   #22
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I would take Manning over Fitzgerald. Both are super talented.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #23
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
After letting Michael Vick slip through their grasp the way they did, there is no way the Chargers are going to let Eli Manning get away - if they do, there will be an even bigger fan revolt in San Diego than there will be in Philadelphia if the Eagles don't sign T.O.!
I doubt that, Anthony. San Deigans just plain ol' have other things to do than rail against the Spanos family.

Philadelphians, on the other hand...
You could probably get them to riot for the city of San Diego, unless the Chargers traded their 1st pick to Philly, and Philly got Fitzgerald...

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:26 PM   #24
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

BaseballFan1 is on a distinguished road

Well Oakland does have a dilemma on their hand. They have a QB and 2 WR's that are aging. Rice says he will play this year and I don't if Tim Brown is playing this year. Rich Gannon is going to have to retire sooner or later. The Raiders need to re-bulid that defense. Romo needs to retire.

The Chargers will probably draft a QB because Flutie is probably going to retire or leave and maybe Drew Brees may have to start.

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
-Christy Mathewson
BaseballFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:41 PM   #25
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

espn seems to think-- strongly--the Raiders will cut Gannon. Sounds an odd move, but Turner's had to deal with inexperience at the QB position before...

Flutie, last I knew, was considering a return north of the border. He's also been a suggestion for replacing Marino, if Shannon Sharpe retires. If Sharpe retires, he'll have his pick of studio jobs, I think. Fox might even try to fit him in there somehow.

If Flutie decides to finally hang 'em up, he could end up in either of the vacated Marino gigs. I don't think he'll be playing any more. Just a guess.

Dave

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 01-30-2004 at 08:44 PM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:47 PM   #26
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
espn seems to think-- strongly--the Raiders will cut Gannon. Sounds an odd move, but Turner's had to deal with inexperience at the QB position before...

Flutie, last I knew, was considering a return north of the border.

If Flutie decides to finally hang 'em up, he could end up in either of the vacated Marino gigs. I don't think he'll be playing any more. Just a guess.

Dave
The Raiders may have to that for the salary cap and the future. They may also have to sign a cheap QB or play with Rick Mirer or Ganon's backup the last two seasons. I can't pronounce his name that's why. Maybe Flutie does have a season left in him.

-Christy Mathewson
Old 01-30-2004, 08:50 PM   #27
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
The Giants need an O-Lineman bad so their chances of taking Robert Gallery from Iowa are pretty good. He is arguably the best OL in the draft. The Redskins already have decent receivers and could use a guy like Tommie Harris on the D-Line.
That is obvious at this point that Giants are going to take an OL in the draft.

-Christy Mathewson
Old 01-31-2004, 10:27 PM   #28
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

This Raider fan sees Oakland taking Fitzgerald.

They will bring back a healthy Tui and possibly Gannon....although his stance of not being willing to take a pay cut might have been his ticket out of town......, and bring in a free agent, perhaps Brunell or Warner to compete for the QB job.

Davis is stubborn enough to believe that the roster he's got (what with a LOT of moves yet to be made this offseason) is good enough to at least compete for a playoff spot in '04.

I don't see Oakland bringing in a new young hotshot QB at this point.
Too much of a hit on their cap and not an immediate payoff on the playing field.

My .02 on the matter.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 11:22 PM   #29
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Too much of a hit on their cap and not an immediate payoff on the playing field.
Well, poptart, the Raiders are done being a competitive team with their current retirement home ... err ... roster. The longer they resist recognizing that it's time to rebuild, the more painful the process it'll be. They need to build for the future, free up cap room, and not worry about "immediate payoff on the playing field." IMO, they should follow the model the Panthers are of building a supurb defense and having a good running game.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:19 PM   #30
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

After the Clarett ruling, the NFL finally officially declared Fitzgerald eligible for the draft in April.

Are the Raiders still the team most likely to grab him, or are the Chargers going to be sufficiently interested to give him strong consideration?

Dave