Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

View Poll Results: SEC or Big Ten this year?
SEC 6 60.00%
Big 10 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road
Default Big Ten vs. SEC

Is Iowa really still ranked? Did they not just get their asses handed to them by 37 on the road to an unranked team? And Wisconson, what the hell, they almost lost to Arizona, I don't give a **** that their coach came from OU, they are still Arizona and they suck. Michigan almost losing to SDSU, OSU narrowly escaping Marshall (did you notice how badly UGA played, and they still managed to at least beat Marshall by double digits), Minnesota and Purdue are really the only ranked Big Ten teams I cannot shoot down yet because they haven't played anyone who has the ability to bring them crashing down to earth. Purdue is really the only team who I am actually impressed with in that conference this year.
Face it, the Big Ten is going to/already is have an off year. How can you see differently? It just puzzles me to think that you guys think OSU can compete with UGA, or that Michigan can compete with this year. Or Purdue or Wisconson can be named up there with LSU and Florida. And hell Iowa being matched up with UT is just an absolute joke. Let's just see it here layed out and I'll make my pick as to who would win among these conferences.

UGA vs. OSU: UGA
UT vs. Purdue.: tossup right now
AU vs. Mich.: AU
LSU vs. Minn.: LSU
UF vs. Wisconson: UF
Iowa vs. South Carolina: Iowa (I guess, but Iowa is really bad)

Maybe my views of it are completely biased, but there are the top 6 teams from each conference matched up as of now and I truly believe those are pretty realistic. I could see some of those being blowout wins for the SEC, but I couldn't see the Big Ten running away with any of those games. So, why is the Big Ten considered so big and bad this year? Can I get a nice fiery reply from one of you Buckeyes just so I can see what in the hell y'all are thinking about this season?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

OSU is better than UGA.
UT/Purdue is a tossup
Michigan WILL be better than Bama
Lsu/Minnesota is probably a tossup
UF/Wisconsin is probably a tossup as well. I'm leaning UF right now, but really, you can;t call them the better team yet.
Iowa/SC is a tossup

And the Big Ten is WEAK this season.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:38 AM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The Big Ten is down Doug, by my standards too. Still, I'd put them as the best conference, with the Big East collapse, the Big 12 breakdown, Pac Ten teams having multiple personality disorders, and the ACC just so badly overrated, it's not funny.

That leaves the SEC, which is doing just about what they do each year: dodge non-conf opponents, win their home conf. games, and expect flowers. Still, it's between these two confs.

Calling games is a tough call. For OSU-NC St., the Big Ten refs did the game down there this year, while the ACC refs came up to Columbus last year. That's a factor.

I'd be willing to bet that NO SEC team could win in Columbus this year, even with SEC refs. I do think OSU could win down there against anyone, with the exception of Georgia. LSU is down, and Auburn would " freak out" per usual.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

If LSU could barely handle Oregon State at home, they're not beating Minnesota. That includes Death Valley.

Ohio State, as Doug plainly stated, is better than UGA, and I think Purdue takes Tennessee.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-21-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with everything KB just said. When was the last time that happened? Ugh. That sucks.

If Auburn were playing Michigan right now, I might actually take the Tigers because the Wolvies are playing offense the way Duke often does: barely.

Of course, we don't live in that world. We won't know how Auburn matches up with Michigan because the Wolvies will be in the Citrus Bowl against UGa.

Dave
Old 09-21-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

UGA has OSU in every phase of the game except for the kicker. I don't see that as really much of an argument unless UGA played worse than they have all year and OSU came out and played their very best and if the game was in Columbus. And how can Mich. be better than Auburn with no QB or RB established and losing to ND and almost to SDSU. I think those are definite wins for the SEC. Those are the top 2 right now. LSU is inexperienced at QB right now, but that is all. They will come around either this week and next week and I truly believe they'll be a power very soon. Ohio State will falter when they play some good teams, they haven't impressed me at all this year so far. I think Lyndell Ross is about all they have. The D is not up to OSU par, and the QB is below average. They will not finish in the top 15.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:07 PM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

To say LSU is inexperienced at quarterback and will come around and be a power very soon, that's pure speculation...every bit as valid as us saying...Michigan is inexperienced at quarterback and will come around and be a power very soon. There's no difference. Hell, same for Ohio State and THEIR inexperienced quarterbacks. Defensively, they are giving up 13.6 a game. I'll take that.

At any rate, I don't think Michigan is one of the top 2 teams in the Big Ten anyway, and I agree that a good # of SEC teams could beat them. Purdue and Minnesota could be a different story.

If you think Lydell Ross is all OSU has, get to know A.J. Hawk and Santonio Holmes.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-21-2004, 08:01 PM   #8
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

UGA much better than Ohio St., Keven you say LSU couldn't beat Minn b/c they struggled with Oregon State. Ohio St. stuggled with Marshall who is much worse than Oregon St. Doesn't this mean Ohio state wouldn't stand a chance agaist Georgia?base on what you said)

Tennesee over Purdue- this could go the other way but i would like to see Purdue in a big game before i put them over tennesee, come on now

Doug- Au stands for Auburn ya dummie. who would just walk all over Michigan

yall say Minn vs. LSU is a tossup? b/c LSU had a hard time with Oregon state? didn't Minn have a hard time with Illinois state? Minn would get blown away

Florida over Wisconsen (see Tenn over Minn)

South Carolina over Iowa- Iowa sucks, period.(plus SC is a good team)
Old 09-21-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
UGA much better than Ohio St., Keven you say LSU couldn't beat Minn b/c they struggled with Oregon State. Ohio St. stuggled with Marshall who is much worse than Oregon St.
No they're not. Are you insane? Did they just fluke against OSU *AND* Georgia?

There seems to be this idea among those on this thread not yet old enough to drive that if you play in a lesser conference like the MAC, you MUST suck. It's certainly not true for Marshall. Figures. You'll understand this stuff better when you are older.

Look, after Purdue, OSU and Minnesota finish in the top 4 (I'll allow for one wildcard) of the Big Ten and win their bowl games, I'll bring this thread back on and accept your apologies.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 PM   #10
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road
Red face

orginally posted by Kevan Beane

"Look, after Purdue, OSU and Minnesota finish in the top 4 (I'll allow for one wildcard) of the Big Ten and win their bowl games, I'll bring this thread back on and accept your apologies".

(sorry i messed up on the quote thing)

I never said Ohio State wouldn't win the big ten, i said if they faced Georgia they would lose. Ohio State will come close to the top of the big ten for sure, but if they are #1 i gotta think they would lose.

don't give this i'm not old enough to understand Marshall crap, Marshall is a good team, but not as good as Oregon State, once again you assume something that isn't true.

Last edited by gconnhokiebird; 09-21-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:28 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

In any of these matchups, I'd proably take the home team with their conf refs. I'd take the home teams with the other conf refs most of the time as well. It's home vs road, that's all.

Kevin...

Ohio State has given up 41 points in 3 games for an average of 13.6, BUT 14 of those points were NOT scored against the defense. So, in 3 games, OSU's defense has given up 27 points, for an average of 9.0 per game. Just a stat that makes their D look more impressive.

Do you think your boy Pittman is going to see any more time vs NW in two weeks? I hope so, I've about had it with Ross. I can only blame the O line so much, but when you constantly fumble, you need to get your head out of your...
Old 09-22-2004, 01:26 AM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

I hope so too. I've never been a big Ross fan; it seems like his averages are always inflated by one big run (I know that can be said about any tailback, but it seems especially ture for Ross). I really like what I've seen of Pittman in grabage time and other brief looks.

Old 09-22-2004, 09:25 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Exactly about Ross. He had what?...68 yarder vs Cincy which padded his average. Woody wanted 3 yards and a cloud of dust. This guy gets 1.8 and a cloud of dust. For his size, he certaintly doesn't power over anyone.

Note to Jimmy T...Pittman is averaging over 9 YARDS PER CARRY ! The kid needs more touches. If things get out of hand against NW ( maybe 12-0...LOL ), I think Pittman should get some time.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:57 AM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
Pittman is averaging over 9 YARDS PER CARRY !
(Bursting with Akron Pride)

Somebody get me a Anthony Pittman/LeBron James/Antoine Winfield/Mike Vrabel/Jason Taylor/Dwight Smith poster STAT!

(Yes, I'm counting both guys from Akron and guys who played at the University of Akron).

Old 09-23-2004, 02:11 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

LOL Kevin...

You know what one jersey I see in school everyday? A.J. Hawk. Man, the kids love him. So do I though. I was talking to my brother on the phone about him the other day and my wife said " who's this Hawk guy you guys keep talking about. You're boyfriend?"...LOL. Made me think of that Seinfeld episode when George has that "non-sexual" crush on Tony, Elaine's cool boyfriend.

I'm with you on Vrabel. I was still bi&ching and moaning just last week that he should have been the Super Bowl MVP last year, but no, let's give it to an offensive player ( said in smug tone ).

Wow, now we're WAY off topic. Sorry. ( Goes to room as self-punishment )
Closed Thread