Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 03-21-2002, 09:27 AM   #1
Hoosier 1
Grizzled Veteran

Hoosier 1 is on a distinguished road
Default Funniest Baseball Moment:

Every year it seems, something unusual or even funny happens in baseball. Or ANY sports for that matter. The homerun off Canseco's head, or Randy Johnson knocking a pigeon out of the sky with one of his 98 mph rockets.

But this is what comes to my mind first. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen in a professional sporting event.

It was 1996 or 97. Not really sure what year, but the Expos were in Los Angelos for three games. Larry Walker was in right field, and was just not having a good day.

In L.A., the right field wall is only 3 or 4 feet high, so the fans are basically "on the field". Walker was getting an earful all day. And being the classy guy that he is, he stayed focused on the game.

But here's the deal.

1 out, the speedy Jose Offerman was on first base. The ball was hit high and deep to right field. Walker backed up to the warning track, (and the short right field wall where the fans were), and fighting the sun, he hauled it in easily. 2 outs.

Only Larry thought it was the third out. He starts trotting down the right field line with the ball, and in some sort of attempt to "make friends" with the L.A. fans, he hands the ball to a small boy, maybe 10 or 11. He never breaks stride. He keeps trotting in toward the infield.

Jose Offerman is SMOKING around second and heading for third by this time. Larry sees it. Larry then realizes. eh........2 outs.

The look on his face was priceless. After realizing his mistake, he turned around to find the little boy he gave the ball to. The little boy was hesitant. Larry wanted the ball back. The little boy didn't want to GIVE it back.

My eyes were as big as silver dollars. My mouth just hung open. As I was sitting there, I almost looked like I was short a chromosome or something.

Larry finally got the ball back, to no avail. Offerman was in the dugout by the time Walker fired it to the cut off man. Walker had to go back out to right field, and take his position by that short right field wall. Not a fun day.

After realizing what had happened, I laughed for two weeks. Don't get me wrong, Larry Walker is a fantastic major leaguer, but watching him trying to get that ball back from that little boy was gut wrenching.
Hoosier 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 06:51 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

:el: That's a great story, thanks for sharing it. In recent times, that Randy Johnson incident was quite memorable. Another good one.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:52 PM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

How about the time that Steve Lyons, while playing for the White Sox, tried to get the dirt out of his pants by dropping them while he was on 1st base? That was a classic one, too.
Or the time that Mike Schmidt was trying to field a foul pop-up near the stands and came up with a hotdog in his glove instead of the ball.
Benny Agbyani had a similar situation to the Walker one, too. I guess nice guys do finish last.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.

Last edited by catman; 03-21-2002 at 10:55 PM.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 09:18 AM   #4
Hoosier 1
Grizzled Veteran

I was home for lunch one day, watching the Cubbies on WGN. It was "todler's day". I'm not sure really what that means, maybe kids get in free or something.

Anyway.....a foul ball pop up was hit behind the 3rd baseman, not too far from the dugout. A man with his little girl (maybe 5 or 6) reached over the railing, took a dive, and snagged the ball.

He looked like he might have pulled a groin to get this ball. After showing the ball to the thousands of cheering fans, he sits down, and hands the ball to his darling little girl.

She takes one look at it, and heaves it back onto the field. The ball-boy sees it out of the corner of his eye, scoops it up, and runs off with it. Never to be seen again.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:05 PM   #5
pffriberg
Grizzled Veteran

pffriberg is on a distinguished road

One of the classic ones they play on Padres highlights had 3b Ken Caminiti chasing after a popup that was drifting into the stands beyond his reach. Of course, as it always happens, the fans stood to get ready to get a souvineer (spelling?). A lady in the front row had a bag of popcorn. As she stood and turned away from the field to follow the ball, Ken reached over and grabbed a handfull of popcorn. Talk about fan interaction...
Old 03-24-2002, 01:26 PM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Are you SURE that Walker incident happened in "1996 or 1997"???.... I could've sworn it happened this past 2001 season... or maybe something very similar to that happened but I remember it fresh in my mind for some reason.

I don't know if it's really "funny"... but when the Mets won that pivitol Game 5 ( ? ) 14-inning game versus the Braves and Ventura hit the home run to win it.... he wasn't credited with a home run 'cuz he only got to first base (there was a runner on 3rd) . . . Another one -- when McGwire hit #63 and forgot to step on first base and the 1st base coach had to call him back to step on it!

"Ahh yes, I remember it well . . . ." :lol:
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 04:04 PM   #7
Hoosier 1
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not sure what year it was, but Walker was still with Montreal. He was with the Expos from 1989 to 94. So it had to be around there somewhere.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:23 PM   #8
J_Sinclair
Grizzled Veteran

J_Sinclair is on a distinguished road

yeah it did happen twice, last year to benny agbayani , pretty much the same thing, he grabbed the ball back from some little booger....and i geuss in the mid - 90's it happend to larry walker too
J_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 12:37 AM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Ya... that's what I was remembering
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote