Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough
Default Not the same since moving to ESPN

I used to live for Monday Night Football. My only beef with it was the starting time. Living in the Central time zone the games was over a 11:30 most the time. Mush to last for a working man.
But since ESPN has claimed MNF from ABC, it's just isn't the same any longer. I can't seem to get into it at all. last night took the cake. ABC would have never let Charles Barkley rant for that long as a guest. ESPN let him go on forever, Sorry, I like Chuck, but not during football.
I hope ESPN can find a way to make it better. Cause into this young season it sucks so far. My gut tells me it may be due to Mike Tirico. I would much rather hear Boomer that Tirico. That have a long way to go to fix it, and we the fans are suffering.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

The Monday night crew sucks!! Kornheiser has no business (NO BUSINESS) in the booth. I like him on PTI, but he has no "spark" or anything. I like Jaws... and Tirico is fine for play by play.

These guys just don't do it for me... I agree with you Dano - its not the same. I think ESPN made a HUGE mistake getting rid of Mike Patrick, Theisman and Paul Mac... they weren't the best, but honestly, they could all work together. Hearing Theisman and Paul Mac argue was the best... and Mike Patrick was a great play by play (still is w/ college).

I'm sorry, I know it sounds like I HATE Kornheiser... but seriously, he needs to go... he sucks the life outta that crew.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Monday Night Football began to decline during its final years on ABC, and then completely crash-landed on ESPN. The last great Monday Night Football team that I loved was Al Michaels and Boomer Esiason, which was the 1999 season.

The current guest visits are a terrible idea and Mike Tirico is an okay play-by-play guy, but I would rather they hire Mike Patrick or Brad Nessler as the Voice of Monday Night Football.

One of the things that truly hurts Monday Night Football now that it is on ESPN is the fact that the pre-determined showcase match-up in the league is actually played on Sunday Nights on NBC, instead of on Monday Nights, like it used to be.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

yeah I liked it better when it was on ABC. I use to love it when Howard Cosell was announcing.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Kornheiser, as much as I like him on PTI, sucks in the booth. I wonder if he's even going to say anything after long stretches of silence. He seems content on asking the other guys questions (too willing to play dumb) and thinks he can only add value by ranting on an off-topic issue, i.e. dogfighting. I hate it when they don't focus on the game AT HAND, i.e. the Barkley distraction. Meanwhile, Tirico doesn't have that "big game" vibe to him ... this just feels like a mid-level team doing an afternoon game, not the MNF game. And there is indeed something missing about having the game on cable and not ABC. I think NBC has more of a "big event" feel now with Michaels, Madden, and network TV.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
And there is indeed something missing about having the game on cable and not ABC. I think NBC has more of a "big event" feel now with Michaels, Madden, and network TV.
Well said Marc. When I watch NBC it feels like the whole world is watching too. The game on ESPN is a big game but as you say "it does not have that big game feel".
Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Wait Steve, you actually liked Theisman in the booth? He was almost as bad as Tony K. I love the Chuckster so I didn't mind him ranting in the booth for awhile, but overall ABC continues to deliver mediocre broadcasting. It probably all started when ABC decided to put Dennis Miller in the booth. Even since then the company's made a concerted effort to bridge the gap between celebrity and sports. Frankly, I think most sports fans don't like it.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Ken, maybe I said that wrong. I don't like Theisman, but I loved the Theisman / Paul Mac combo. I they had me cracking up at them. Paul Mac would say something and Theisman would counter that point. I found it hallarious because sounded they knew nothing about football. To me, it was just entertaining, and then you had Mike P calling the game and he's great.
So basically you have a great play by play guy, and two goofs making you laugh.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Kornheiser is trying to be the Denis Miller of the booth and he's just not that guy. I don't mind the broadcast too much to be honest..... as long as I don't have to listen to Madden, I'm good.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
So basically you have a great play by play guy, and two goofs making you laugh.
See, it's that last part that puzzles me. Mike Patrick I think is okay, but Nessler is better.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:13 AM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

I guess its just who you are used to. I've always like Paul Mac cuz he used to do Pats games back on the east coast. Not sure why I like Mike P. so much... Guess I just had a lot of good times coming home from a full day of watching football in a bar to the ESPN Sunday Night Game???
Either way - I still think Tony K needs to go.
I had talked about Mike & Mike when they were in the booth for the MNF opener (2nd game). Someone said they hated them, but I liked them. They work well together IMO.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:22 AM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
I had talked about Mike & Mike when they were in the booth for the MNF opener (2nd game). Someone said they hated them, but I liked them. They work well together IMO.
And my like for Steve continues to plummet lol...

I like their radio show. Well, I shouldn't say like but try to check out The Best of on the weekdays. Golic is okay in the booth since he has some experience there and he's a former player who can give some insight on schemes. Greenberg, last time I checked, has never broadcast a game on any level before doing the AFL this season.

I prefer the #1 CBS team with Nantz and Simms.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Plummets? I thought I already hit rock bottom with you years ago?
But, Ok... we finally agree on something... I like Nantz and Simms too....
Old 10-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #14
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

......"I enjoyed watching (Eli) play on Monday night because I got a chance to see him play live on TV, and being able to watch the game in mute,'' Peyton said. "Because it's an easier way to watch the game than hear some of those broadcasters.''

Wait. I thought the Colts' P.R. man said Manning simply was saying "MNF" had, over time, lost its cache.

Clearly, Peyton has issues with the "MNF" booth, and my best guess is, he has most of those issues with Kornheiser.

http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbc...EWS06/71022003

I like Peyton Manning more and more each week. :lol:
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
......"I enjoyed watching (Eli) play on Monday night because I got a chance to see him play live on TV, and being able to watch the game in mute,'' Peyton said. "Because it's an easier way to watch the game than hear some of those broadcasters.''

Wait. I thought the Colts' P.R. man said Manning simply was saying "MNF" had, over time, lost its cache.

Clearly, Peyton has issues with the "MNF" booth, and my best guess is, he has most of those issues with Kornheiser.

http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbc...EWS06/71022003

I like Peyton Manning more and more each week. :lol:
The article has Kornheiser claiming Peyton may have been upset with him for making fun of the QB during a pregame skit.

(shrugs shoulders)

Who knows if that is why he said it but I try not to pay attention to any of these idiots either.

I can't recall who it was but the week after the Gundy vs. Carlson story broke an announcer was stickin' up for the reporter during a college football game.

I didn't mute it. I actually turned to a different game.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote