Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #61
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
LeCure was decent this year, certainly better than any option the Cards have as a fifth starter.
Really? 1-4 with a 4.86 ERA, .285 opponents batting average, and 1.71 WHIP qualifies as decent? They guy is 2 for 6 in quality starts.

Quote:
Matt Maloney's career ERA in the bigs is 4.47. Not terrible - again, better than any of the Cards' options at 5th starter.
He has a .273 opponents average and has given up 10 homers in 52 career innings.

Quote:
Bailey and Harang struggled this year (partly because they were injured) but both have shown that they can be dominant at times.
Harang has not been terribly good for 3 years though. He was awful in '08, mediocre in '09, and awful this year. He has been in decline since the '07 season.

Bailey has never established himself as anything more than mediocre at the major league level.

That is not to say the Cards are in any better of a situation I am just overwhelmed by what they have at the back end. Talent is all well and good, but, pitching in meaningful games down the stretch is as much about being mentally tough and fighting through tough situations as it is talent.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #62
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I'm wondering if Cardinals fans are missing Ludwick yet...

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #63
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Maybe if he were on some kind of hot streak or something, but it is not as though Ludwick is tearing it up for the Pads.

I mean I don't think the addition of a guy who is hitting .254 with homers and 9 RBIs in his last 17 games would make that big of a difference in their standing right now.

The only reason they might be missing him is Rasmus is hurt and out for the next several days.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #64
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Well, there's no way to determine what he would be doing if he were hitting in front of Albert Pujols during that time.

I just think that the Cards could benefit from a guy hitting over .400 with RISP, considering Carpenter, Garcia, and Wainwright were all beaten by inferior teams...

Like I said before, offense has been this team's problem all year. Jake Westbrook doesn't fix that... Ludwick would help.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #65
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Except having a guy hitting .400 with RISP in the two hole in front of Pujols has little impact when your lead off hitters have a .318 OBP, 9 SBs and 26 doubles and triples. Like I said before they need a real lead off hitter who can get on base upwards of 40 percent of the time.

They would be 3-0 in games Westbrook has pitched had the bullpen been able to hold leads in two of those games.

The biggest issue right now is just overall consistency. It seems like when they score four or five runs the bullpen blows a lead and when they only score two or three runs they lose 3-2 or 4-3.

Truth be told they are scoring about one run a game more and are hitting .279 since they dealt Ludwick.