Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 10-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road
Default How to make the NBA a better league

Reduce the number of playoff teams. Adapt the baseball playoff system. Since we now have three divisions on each conference, we can have three division winners and one wild card going to the playoffs. Why? Because there’s way too much meaningless games played. You know the higher seeded teams will always zap through the lower seeded teams with relative ease, most of the time by a sweep or 4-1. I know, I know, the #8 seeded teams has upset the #1 seeded teams before, twice… But so what? Did the Knickerbockers or Nuggets win the NBA championship, no. But if the playoff teams are reduced, all we have are quality games right off the bat then, not quantity. And any of the eight teams in can go all the way, just like in the MLB.

This will not only make the playoffs more exciting, but will also make the regular season more exciting. Players like Shaq are not a fan of the regular season because they’re sure they’re in the playoffs no matter what, can’t blame them because 55% of the teams in the league go, all you have to do is don’t suck. If you follow baseball, you should know how intense the Wildcard chases in late September both leagues were, good teams struggle just to get in the playoffs. In the NBA, good teams know they’re the playoffs 1 ˝ months into the season, and they’re just playing for home field advantage the rest of the way. LOT less breath-taking. Even super good teams like the Cubs, Giants, and Athletics miss out at the end. But in the NBA, a horrible team like the Clippers can get in with a losing record, why even bother watching them in the first round?

Also, change the scheduling of games. Instead of playing four games with (almost) every team in your conference, and two games with every team in the other, emphasize more on the games played in your own division.

I’ll give an example of that. Since I’m a Warriors fan, I’ll use them.

DIVISIONAL GAMES - 24 games (12 home, 12 away):
L.A. Clippers – 6 games (3 home, 3 away)
L.A. Lakers – 6 games (3 home, 3 away)
Phoenix – 6 games (3 home, 3 away)
Sacramento – 6 games (3 home, 3 away)

CONFERENCE GAMES – 30 games (15 home, 15 away):
Denver – 3 games (2 home, 1 away)
Minnesota – 3 games (1 home, 2 away)
Portland – 3 games (2 home, 1 away)
Seattle – 3 games (1 home, 2 away)
Utah – 3 games (2 home, 1 away)
Dallas – 3 games (1 home, 2 away)
Houston – 3 games (2 home, 1 away)
Memphis – 3 games (1 home, 2 away)
New Orleans – 3 games (2 home, 1 away)
San Antonio – 3 games (1 home, 2 away)

INTER-CONFERENCE GAMES – 30 games (15 home, 15 away):
Boston - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
New Jersey - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
New York - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Philadelphia - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Toronto - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Chicago - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Cleveland - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Detroit - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Indiana - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Milwaukee - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Atlanta - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Charlotte - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Miami - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Orlando - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)
Washington - 2 games (1 home, 1 away)

The home/away Conference games will alternate every year to balance it out. And this scheduling will increase the current NBA number of games by two, making it a total of 84.

I doubt this will ever happen because David Stern is one greedy SOB, everything has to do with money with him, and doing this will make him lose a lot of it. He thinks just by making the playoffs three months long we’re going to watch every single game, even the meaningless ones in the first round.

I am NOT a NBA hater. The game to me is most fun to watch out of the four major NA sports, but I feel the lack of intensity towards the end of the season that I feel in other sports.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I like your scheduling a lot, but fewer playoff slots would mean MORE meaningless regular a lot, not less. Lat year, whenever GS played Seattle (for example) in February or March, it was meaningful because both team were trying to grab onto the last playoff spots. There's more of those games than games that are meaningles because teams have clinched playoff spots. Under your system, GS games last year would have become meaningless a lot quicker.

Also, didn't the #6 seeded Rockets win it all sometime in the nineties?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
I like your scheduling a lot, but fewer playoff slots would mean MORE meaningless regular a lot, not less. Lat year, whenever GS played Seattle (for example) in February or March, it was meaningful because both team were trying to grab onto the last playoff spots. There's more of those games than games that are meaningles because teams have clinched playoff spots. Under your system, GS games last year would have become meaningless a lot quicker.

Also, didn't the #6 seeded Rockets win it all sometime in the nineties?
You're right about the GS and Seattle game mean something, it was very fun to watch, but do you think any of the two teams can win the NBA championship even if they had gotten in as the #8 seed? It's possible, but only about 1/50 of a chance. So therfore, still meaningless. I want the Warriors to get in the playoffs anyway they can, but I will never not bet for them to win it all.

I want even the good teams to struggle to get in as a Wildcard. Imagine how big that Lakers and Blazers, nationally televised game (the one where Kobe won it with a 3) would have been if they were fighting for the fourth and final spot, and not merely just for "home-field advantage" in the playoffs? HUGE & INTENSIFIED, just like the Giants/Dodgers/Cubs/Astros in the last week.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 PM   #4
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

Don't you think watching more interesting games and very interesting important games are good? Besides, the new 7 game series are very good for upsetting. The draft will also be messed up, then a 20 pick is a lottery pick, or if they go by record, no western team will get high draft picks and teams can just tank a season latter on to get a Lebron, Duncan, or Shaq.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Oh...:uhoh:

My mistake...I thought it would be starting with throwing out half the players....

j/k, Slink...

I can see how some of those games are sloppy & meaningless but I think they've been an intricate part of the maturing process thru the years for teams on the rise.

It gives lesser teams a chance to compete in a playoff format & continue to strive to return tho not all teams are successful in the progression. If teams knew in the middle of the year they were mathematicaly eliminated or close to, I would expect to see worse play & less drive for teams out of it.

Having teams in the playoffs with lesser records keeps the "anything can happen" & the dream of advancing alive for some. My choice for how to make the NBA better is to give back the teams to the coaches but that'll never happen.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:51 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Actually, aren't the shorter series usually tailor made for upsets? It is easier for an underdog to steal momentum with an early win in a best of five than it is in a best of seven.

I understand the arguments and why they let high school kids in the draft, but it is killing the league. The NBA keeps drafting too many kids who have no fundamentals and little humility and it is ruining the product as a whole. The more consistent, sounder players tend to be the ones that have three or four years of college under their belts.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
CC_Hornet
Grizzled Veteran

CC_Hornet is on a distinguished road

How to make the NBA a better league?

Eliminate guaranteed contracts in the NBA. These guys are taking advantage of a system that should not be in place. If you don't play or don't play worth a damn how can you expect to keep making those outrageous dollars. We have the Mashburn situation where he'll sit back and not play a lick this season and collect 10mil and next season too. He won't retire and he knows he's done. He's sitting back and collecting a check and there's nothing anyone can do.

Baron Davis wants to go to a big market like LA or NY for a championship. He's in the second year of a 86million dollar max deal over 6 years. This just blows my mind. What the hell?

Then there's Jamaal Magliore who being from Toronto, Canada wants to go back there to finish out his career and be with family. He's only like 27 or 28. These guys make me sick. Can I tell you I've about had it with Pro Sports.

Then there's Aaron Brooks with the Saints. He needs to re-evaluate his situation after entering the 2nd year in his deal and after playing only 4 games this season. I'm just sick of them all. And I know its everywhere else too.

Changes need to be made or they are going lose fans forever. The ticket prices keep going higher and the quality of play keeps getting worse. Tell me I'm wrong here. I don't think anyone can. The NBA product stinks. No fundamentals. NFL? Can anyone tackle any more other than a select few like Ray Lewis?

Just venting a bit. THis city has been bombarded with whiny pro athletes lately. Sorry fellas. I'm fed up with these egomaniacs making more money than I'll make in 10 lifetimes. It's all backasswards. I want to puke. What's next?
CC_Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

CC, I agree with alot that you say in regards to the NBA. But the owners need to share the blame in this league.

The NFL has no guaranteed contracts, the argument can easily be made by players to get what you can, when you can get it. Because as we see every year now, capable players get cut, simply for CAP purposes.

But I agree with you about the Cads that have infiltrated pro sports. Its funny we fans care very much about these athletes, but these guys care nothing about the fans. The fan is greatly used and for the most part, never notice.

We could actually go on a long time on this subject, very frustrating..............actually we probably will too!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

That is why you also see football players demanding the big 20 million dollar signing bonuses, those are guaranteed as long as you show up for training camp every week. Guaranteed contracts are also the reason that you rarely, if ever, see signing bonuses in the NBA. Abolishing guaranteed contracts will do little to alleviate anything. The NBA guys will just start demanding the big signing bonuses akin to the NFL.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:04 PM   #10
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Actually, I do want to get deeper into this.

The common theme here seems to be, as usual, "Those ridiculous players!"

Can someone explain to me why you're furious at the players for asking for ridiculous sums of money, and NOT AT THE OWNERS FOR GIVING TO THEM?????

Before you start giving me crap about how the players have forced the owners hands, I'm sure you are familiar with the term "lockout." Don't try to tell me that millionaires have all the control over the billionaires.

Secondly, why are you (generically, not specifically one of you guys) so furious at all? Sports exist to entertain us. But nobody OWES you entertainment. Even today in 2004, there's still plenty of sports on TV for $#()*#@ free!!! Even if it was all pay-per-view and tickets cost $1,000 a piece and only slam dunks counted and gangster tattoos were mandatory, it's still entertainment, which means no one is under any obligation to make it palatable for you. If it doesn't entertain you, find something that does entertain you.

No one writes screeds about overpaid actors. When somebody sees a bad movie, they may feel they wasted their time and money, but you probably don't don't write these furious essays about how movies have to change. You need to see sports the same way you do movies or playing frickin' backgammon. If you like it enough to pay money into it, do so. If you don't, find something else worth your money. ENTERTAINMENT IS NEVER WORTH YOUR FURY!!!!

So, why do these athletes incite your fury and not rich actors...or owners?

You don't resent actors.
You don't resent billinaire business owners
You damn sure resent people being paid millions of dollars to play ball. You would like to play ball, and you would do it for a lot less, but no one is offering! And those whom it is offered to are sometimes not perfect denizens of selflessness, dignity, and citizenship! I would be!!!! It's just not FAIR!!!!!!

That's what this is about. Not logic, resentment. It's why the small injustices of the sports world infuriate you the way REAL injustices of the world don't. Resentment.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:56 PM   #11
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

The reason why NFL players want more signing bonuses and money because in 2-3 years, most get replaced or injuried. The NBA is different, the reason why most are in training camp, preseason, and playing in the season.

You can't compare players to actors, the actors get a lot of money in one movie, while athletes must move themselves up. As for saying fans don't matter for them, that is exaggerating a bit. Even athletes know that fans make the game, and if they have more fans the more advertisements they get.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:16 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, it is moreso injuries than anything else. If you go out and blow your knee out in practice the team owes you nothing. They typically pay the guy a minimal amount as an injury settlement and that is it. Your career could be done and you only got a mere fraction of the contract you signed. The NBA is different As long as Mashburn does not officially retire this year he collects like 10 mil even if the Hornets release him.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:21 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think these are all good ideas, I'm not particularly opposed to any of them: reducing the playoff teams, emphasizing more in-division play (to build more rivalries), and eliminating guaranteed contracts. But the single biggest thing is to institute an age limit of 20, IMO. Force kids to go to college, or play overseas if they refuse. It'll help the college game tremendously and they don't learn by sitting on NBA benches, they learn by playing for great coaches like Coach K or Tubby Smith.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:42 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, they really need to start using the NBDL for what it was intended if they are going to keep bringing high schoolers into the league. Either give every NBA a farm team or treat like NFL Europe where every NBA team gets to assign an alottment of players to the league. That way guys like Darko Millicic can actually get acclimated to playing a higher level of basketball without rotting at the end of the bench all season long. But, as it is right now the NBDL is nothing more than a glorified CBA.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:04 PM   #15
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Actually, I do want to get deeper into this.

The common theme here seems to be, as usual, "Those ridiculous players!"

Can someone explain to me why you're furious at the players for asking for ridiculous sums of money, and NOT AT THE OWNERS FOR GIVING TO THEM?????

Before you start giving me crap about how the players have forced the owners hands, I'm sure you are familiar with the term "lockout." Don't try to tell me that millionaires have all the control over the billionaires.

Secondly, why are you (generically, not specifically one of you guys) so furious at all? Sports exist to entertain us. But nobody OWES you entertainment. Even today in 2004, there's still plenty of sports on TV for $#()*#@ free!!! Even if it was all pay-per-view and tickets cost $1,000 a piece and only slam dunks counted and gangster tattoos were mandatory, it's still entertainment, which means no one is under any obligation to make it palatable for you. If it doesn't entertain you, find something that does entertain you.

No one writes screeds about overpaid actors. When somebody sees a bad movie, they may feel they wasted their time and money, but you probably don't don't write these furious essays about how movies have to change. You need to see sports the same way you do movies or playing frickin' backgammon. If you like it enough to pay money into it, do so. If you don't, find something else worth your money. ENTERTAINMENT IS NEVER WORTH YOUR FURY!!!!

So, why do these athletes incite your fury and not rich actors...or owners?

You don't resent actors.
You don't resent billinaire business owners
You damn sure resent people being paid millions of dollars to play ball. You would like to play ball, and you would do it for a lot less, but no one is offering! And those whom it is offered to are sometimes not perfect denizens of selflessness, dignity, and citizenship! I would be!!!! It's just not FAIR!!!!!!

That's what this is about. Not logic, resentment. It's why the small injustices of the sports world infuriate you the way REAL injustices of the world don't. Resentment.
Kevin,

That was a good post.

I agree with you about the owners, I stated that above also.

I think one of the problems Kevin is, with the advent of the huge salaries the middle and lower class fan became expendable so to speak. These are the same games we grew up loving as kids, for me it was attending the games starting in the early 70's. But many fans have now been priced out. I grew up in what could best be described as lower middle class as far as income. Not poor, but not quite middle class either. But going to games was never a problem, ticket prices, concession, etc. didnt price any family out.

Since the influx of huge salaries, the middle class fan has been fazed out. I have a wife who is a teacher and I have good job, we are doing just fine financially, but in noway can we regularly attend games. The price of admission and what goes with attending a game has grown greatly compared to the cost of living over that same span.

With that I believe has come resentment, like you correctly said.

Sports are also a passionate form of 'entertainment'. Some people are passionate about movies, but movies are also for the most part fiction...........sporting events are real........and its easier to get your dander up, when something is real rather then fictional. What is funny, probably the most talked about and controversial and certainly a movie that got people boiling, was Mel Gibsons 'Passion of Christ'..........I think that was the name, I never saw it, but I'm sure you know what movie I'm talking about.......but it was based on reality or perception that it was real depending on your religious faith. It got people boiling, I heard it and I never saw it. But it did lather people up.

Sports are something people can argue about, there is a finality to it. A winner, a loser, very clear cut in most instances. Movies we realize after its over, no matter how compelling, was scripted, how are we going to argue those?

I have rambled a bit now, what a shocker, but with the increase in the salaries of something we fans are ardent supporters of and have in some ways had taken from us, comes bitterness toward the players for not appreciating why they are getting paid as they are..............the fans supporting them.

If no fans go, there is NO money coming in. If there is no money coming in, no one can get paid............are they still going to play then? This is why fans feel betrayed.

Is it so much really for fans to expect a little loyalty? Is it so much for fans to want these athletes to act like good citizens? It is frustrating to see an athlete get busted repeatedly for drugs or beating there women, etc. and return to his job almost immediately after...........the majority of us lose our jobs. I dont think its too much.

Fans arent expecting your local star or favorite athlete to attend dinner every Tuesday night. They just want them to act like decent human beings, show some loyalty, be appreciative of what they have gained thru a combination of there hard work and the fans giving a part of what they have earned.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote