Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Fantasy Sports

Old 11-25-2001, 11:45 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Bulls and Bears - Week 11

Thanks to SC affiliate Kellogg's Komments, the SC site is running their fantasy football column, as well as the SCMB now. Enjoy, FF managers!

-----------------

Bulls - Expect these guys to give you good return on your dollar this week!

Quarterbacks

Greg - Trent Green, Kansas City - Green has been operating, for the most part, with rookie Marvin Minnis and a parade of no-names at the WR spot. This week, he gets Derrick Alexander back and faces a Seahawks team that has given up 688 passing yards in its past three games.

Jym - Jake Plummer, Arizona - San Diego's defense hasn't been that good and Jake the Snake is on a hot streak.

Mark - Chris Chandler, Atlanta - Chris did a number on the Packers last week and should do very well against the poor Panther defense.

Running Backs

Greg - Richard Huntley, Carolina - A lot of people expected big things from Huntley when he signed with the Panthers. Last week, he finally began looking like he could deliver on those expectations. He gained 94 yards and scored a TD on just 18 touches. He will need that many carries against a Falcons team that has given up an average of 137 rushing yards per game over its last three.

Jym - LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego - Arizona has one of the worst rush defenses. Look for LT to get it on fire once again. Don't believe this wall stuff from other guys.

Mark - Priest Holmes, Kansas City - Priest has had a week to rest and prepare for Seattle. He's not really a sleeper, but should get a lot of work both on the ground and through the air.

Wide Receivers

Greg - Keyshawn Johnson, Tampa Bay - Johnson has improved his yardage totals in each of his past four weeks and has been remarkably consistent for the year, never falling below 62 yards in receptions. Of course, the fact that he has not yet found the end zone is worrisome. But when he faced the Rams last season he hauled in seven passes for 116 yards and two TDs. And he does have to score sometime, doesn't he?

Jym - Randy Moss, Minnesota - Look for him to be the number one the rest of the year. Chicago has been susceptible to the long ball, and that is Moss territory.

Mark - Hines Ward, Pittsburgh - Hines has been coming on lately with the improved play of Kordell Stewart. Stewart and Ward face the bad Tennessee pass defense this week and could put up some good fantasy numbers.

Tight Ends

Greg - Wesley Walls, Carolina - With Muhsin Muhammad likely to sit this one out, Walls, who already has five TDs to his credit, becomes the primary red zone pass catching option. And Atlanta's LBs are not experienced enough to shut out a veteran like Walls.

Jym - Eric Johnson, San Francisco - He is turning into an elite TE.

Mark - Eric Johnson, San Francisco - The 49ers face the Colts this weekend. Anyone from either team has a chance to score.

Place Kickers

Greg - Martin Gramatica, Tampa Bay - Gramatica has not made less than two FGs in a game since week six and his only miss during that span came last week against the Bears. A miss that cost the Bucs a chance to win the game. Gramatica will not miss in this game and both teams should be proficient enough to move the ball.

Jym - Mike Vanderjagt, Indianapolis - He is returning to form.

Mark - Kris Brown, Pittsburgh - You have to love a kicker who is so bad one week and then turns it around. Kris will continue to do well this week vs the Titans.

Defenses

Greg - New Orleans Saints - The strength of the Saints defense is against the pass and the Patriots have trouble running the ball so this game should match strength against strength. Showers and cool temperatures are expected for late Sunday afternoon in Foxboro, so weather could also effect this game.

Jym - Cleveland Browns - People still doubt them. Read the stat sheet and you will see why they are in the top five.

Mark - Denver Broncos - Last week, I picked up Trotter vs. Ryan Leaf on a hunch and Jeremiah had a pick and return for a touchdown. This week, anyone on the Broncos' defense is a threat to score.

Bears - Watch your cash wad magically disappear if you start these guys!

Quarterbacks

Greg - Brian Griese, Denver - Griese is a very good QB that has lost his favorite weapons. Ed McCaffrey is gone for the season, Terrell Davis is out for at least two more weeks, and Rod Smith is so hobbled that to even make it to the field is a testament to his courage. None of the other receivers, tight ends included, have shown they can even approach the consistency required for this game. Until someone besides Rod Smith steps up, downgrade Griese on your lists.

Jym - Charlie Batch, Detroit - He has been doing pretty well, but I look for Green Bay to shut him down.

Mark - Tony Banks, Washington - This week, Tony faces a very tough Philly pass defense. He'll post poor numbers this week unless he breaks a long run or two.

Running Backs

Greg - Anthony Thomas, Chicago - Thomas has missed practice all week and is listed as questionable at this writing. I expect the Bears will sit him out this week to allow him to heal for the stretch run.

Jym - Warrick Dunn, Tampa Bay - The Rams won't let him loose. Look for TB to go flat in a big way taking Dunn down with them.

Mark - Warrick Dunn, Tampa Bay - Warrick will get some yards this week, but the Rams defense is tough to beat when you're playing from behind.

Wide Receivers

Greg - Troy Brown, New England - I love this guy. He gets more from less than any other receiver in the NFL and he does it without the respect his accomplishments scream out for. But Brady is looking over his shoulder and it seems to be affecting his performance. New Orleans will not allow Brown to beat them and the Patriots don't have any other weapons, other than Terry Glenn, who probably won't play again this week, that can do any damage.

Jym - Qadry Ismail, Baltimore - Grbac and the Ravens have been struggling lately and they won't bust out of it this week. Ismail will be worth a start, but not top ten this week.

Mark - Peerless Price, Buffalo - Van Pelt gives Buffalo a much better passing game, but they face Miami this week. The Dolphins won't ignore him as much as other teams have.

Tight Ends

Greg - Eric Johnson, San Francisco - Unlike my compatriots, I do not see Johnson as being a good play this week. This game will likely be one of the higher scoring affairs of the weekend and I fully expect the wideouts and running backs to provide the bulk of the work.

Jym - Freddie Jones, San Diego - I don't know if this is due to pain or no magic left in Flutie's hat.

Mark - Ernie Conwell, St. Louis - Ernie hasn't done much lately and he may be a question mark due to a concussion. (Although he could play and play well).

Place Kickers

Greg - Wade Richey, San Diego - Richey has missed three of his last nine FG attempts and I am unclear that he will get any attempts this week. LaDainian Tomlinson has seemingly hit a wall, despite what some folks think, and Flutie has gone in the tank. Without some type of offensive threat, the kicker becomes worthless.

Jym - Olindo Mare, Miami - Was an elite PK, now the team and Mare are struggling to put it together.

Mark - Martin Gramatica, Tampa Bay - Any kicker who kicks against the Rams will only trot onto the field for extra points.

Defenses

Greg - Chicago Bears - Normally, I try to pick a team that I rank poorly and the other guys rank substantially higher. The Packers are the only team I have that fits that criteria, but as I have them ranked tenth they are still a viable start in most leagues. Chicago, on the other hand, is struggling against the pass and it looks like the Vikings have rediscovered Randy Moss. Whether they use him this week or not is irrelevant. The Bears have to honor him and that will open things up for Carter, Chamberlain, and the running game.

Jym - San Diego Chargers - They are not a top defense anymore.

Mark - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - The Rams are on a roll and Tampa's defense suffers accordingly.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote