Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 11-10-2001, 05:59 AM   #1
twistedagain
Sports Enthusiast

twistedagain is on a distinguished road
Default Is there any real surprises?

I know its only the first quarter of the NHL but what surprises did you expect for the beginning of the year.

I guess first one, is that Jarome Iginla is on leading the scoring race.

Another surprise, is that after all the dealing that the Islanders did over the off season seems to be paying off, but its still early who knows where they will finish off(1st, 2nd, 10th...)?

Hey Joe! Where are the Avalanche? Did one player make the Cup last year....NOT! I was expecting a repeat but not the way things are looking.

Look out oiler fans, there is a team in Calgary!
Besides what most idiot fans...i mean oiler fans think, Calgary will be more than a provincial rival, they are looking to be the top contender for the cup this year.

The biggest surprise though is the line of Ron Francis, Sami Kapanen and Jeff O' Neil. Carolina fans are probably in shock being so high up in the standings and having the players to prove it. Another late game win tonight by the Hurricanes...what none of the above mentioned. on the goal scored.
twistedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 08:52 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is there any real surprises?

Quote:
Originally posted by twistedagain
I guess first one, is that Jarome Iginla is on leading the scoring race.

Another surprise, is that after all the dealing that the Islanders did over the off season seems to be paying off, but its still early who knows where they will finish off(1st, 2nd, 10th...)?

Hey Joe! Where are the Avalanche? Did one player make the Cup last year....NOT! I was expecting a repeat but not the way things are looking.
Definitely -- those 3 things BIG surprises.

....for Iginla.... is it an even BIGGER surprise that the NHL decided to leave him off the All-Star Ballot?

Also, I think a team that has gotten very little coverage and not enough respect by the media is the Chicago Blackhawks. After their home win yesterday versus Vancouver, the 'Hawks are 8-0-2-0 at home so far this year and are currently 11-4-3-0, good enough for 2nd place in the Western Conference this season thus far.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 10:59 AM   #3
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road
Default Another surprise...

Not a good one for Kings' fans, though...

Since being traded to the Kings from the Bruins, Jason Allison only has 4 points (0 goals, 4 assists) and a -5 in 7 games.

Not too good for last years 4th leading point scorer.

Another surprise: Chris Osgood. After being left unprotected for the waiver draft, he was scooped up by the Islanders, who really needed a solid goalie, and he's off to an amazing start with 10 wins, 3 losses, and 1 tie to go along with a 1.96 GAA and 3 shutouts.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 12:51 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: Another surprise...

Quote:
Originally posted by bostonsportsfan
Not a good one for Kings' fans, though...

Since being traded to the Kings from the Bruins, Jason Allison only has 4 points (0 goals, 4 assists) and a -5 in 7 games.

Not too good for last years 4th leading point scorer.
Yeah -- I want to point out something related to this. Allison isn't doing good. Vincent Lecavalier isn't doing good. I can't really comment on Tomas Kaberle as I haven't watched any Leaf games that he's played in so far this year, but he has 1 point in 3 games thus far.

....the point I'm trying to make is that no matter how good you are, and even if you train hard in the offseason, it's hard to get back into the NHL way-of-things if you miss training camp like Allison, Lecavalier, and Kaberle.
Old 11-11-2001, 04:56 PM   #5
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re: Is there any real surprises?

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
....for Iginla.... is it an even BIGGER surprise that the NHL decided to leave him off the All-Star Ballot?
That isn't that unheard of, at least in other sports. Last year, Brian Urlacher, the ROY in the NFL was left off the Pro Bowl ballot.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 08:32 PM   #6
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road

It happens a lot to rookies...

Albert Pujols was left off the MLB All Star ballot and he was having an amazing year.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 04:38 AM   #7
twistedagain
Sports Enthusiast

I liked Jarome's response to being left off the ballot. He said " he thought they knocked people off the list after having such a low voter response from the year before." I watched "After Hours" and that is what he said.

That's ok Jarome, I picked you this year!:lol: even if it was a write-in.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:32 AM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by twistedagain
I liked Jarome's response to being left off the ballot. He said " he thought they knocked people off the list after having such a low voter response from the year before." I watched "After Hours" and that is what he said.

That's ok Jarome, I picked you this year!:lol: even if it was a write-in.
Ha ha! -- so *that's* what I'm missing when I'm not watching After Hours, eh??.... I'd really like to watch that show but CBC probably gets the most viewership for that program from the West Coast 'cuz for everyone else, it's Sunday already!
Old 11-12-2001, 09:39 AM   #9
twistedagain
Sports Enthusiast

I'm from alberta and live between Calgary and edmonton. "After Hours" usually comes on after the late saturday night game and could be an interview of an player from the western teams (so it seems). So this could be aired anytime after 10:30 mst. If you visit the CBC site...... www.cbc.ca you could ask a question to the player being interviewed and he will answer it live.

Sorry Lee , if thats passed your bedtime, it is pretty good to watch though.