Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Week 12 Top Ten...

Michigan and Ohio State switch places for me. UM looked much better on Saturday...

1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Wisconsin
4. Notre Dame
5. Southern Cal
6. Rutgers
7. Louisville
8. West Virginia
9. Wake Forest
10. Arkansas (my token SEC team :lol: )
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Man, I'd hate to be one of your students. You're too damn tough to please. The Buckeyes win by 44 on the road and fall.

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Arkansas
4. Southern Cal
5. Florida
6. Notre Dame
7. Rutgers
8. Wisconsin
9. LSU
10. Wake Forest

Last edited by Alex; 11-13-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

1) Ohio State
2) Michigan
3) West Virginia
4) Florida
5) Rutgers
6) USC
7) Arkansas
8) Notre Dame
9) Louisville
10) Texas

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Man, I'd hate to be one of your students. You're too damn tough to please. The Buckeyes win by 44 on the road and fall.
-INT by Smith
-fumble by Pittman at the 1-yard line
-2 botched extra points
-gave up 229 passing yards
-lost time of possession battle

Always room for improvement Alex. :thumbup:

Good to see Wisconsin make your top ten. I won't hold it against ya. :thumbup:
Old 11-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Can't keep a one-loss (real) major conference team out of the Top 10 at this point. Though Wisconsin may end up being the weakest 11-1 team to ever come out of the Big Ten. There is just such an unimagineable gap between Ohio State and Michigan and Wisconsin and then another between Wisconsin and the rest of the Big Ten.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Wisconsin would be a three loss team in the Big East, so you certainly could keep a one loss major conference team out

1. Ohio State
2. Florida
3. Michigan
4. Arkansas
5. Rutgers
6. LSU
7. USC
8. Louisville
9. West Virginia
10. Boise St.

Almost had Notre Dame crack this thing again, but without any good wins to their credit, gave Boise the nod being that they are undefeated.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
Wisconsin would be a three loss team in the Big East, so you certainly could keep a one loss major conference team out

1. Ohio State
2. Florida
3. Michigan
4. Arkansas
5. Rutgers
6. LSU
7. USC
8. Louisville
9. West Virginia
10. Boise St.

Almost had Notre Dame crack this thing again, but without any good wins to their credit, gave Boise the nod being that they are undefeated.
And Boise State wouldn't have a few losses if they played in a conference east of the Rockies?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

They certainly would, it's just a matter of degree and who is behind them. Texas is really the only team I considered for that 10 spot outside of Notre Dame. The other teams close would be Wake Forest and Auburn as well as maybe Oklahoma and Cal. Boise would probably be on par with all of those teams records wise in the same Conference. Boise might be 1 loss in the ACC, might be 2 loss in the Big 12, key word being might. They would probably be 3 loss or more in the SEC, which would go towards Auburn being in the 10 spot over them, but with the loss this week and how they tend to get smacked in the face, I kept them off it. Any of these teams I've mentioned here might be better than Boise. There are arguments to be made for a lot of teams. However, the consistency of the program comes into play, as well as the Conference. I've followed Boise closely for awhile now and the quality of player has improved a lot there. They started as a school just running an entertaining offense that could score points on folks, but their getting a better level of athlete in there now.

Just comparing Boise with the team I have at 11, Notre Dame, and I'll do this with any team you want, but Notre Dame was the closest in my mind...Boise played a weaker schedule than Notre Dame. Boise being undefeated pulls them close to ND's one loss, as they obviously wouldn't be around here with a loss. They completely dominated Oregon State, who beat USC, so that has to factor in somewhere. They have a running back who is one of the best in the country, a QB that runs that system well and is now a senior. There are a lot of factors that go into it. I wouldn't begrudge someone thinking that Notre Dame is better than Boise.

Since I think your comment is more in tune with the comment I made about what Wisconsin's record would be in the Big East...If Boise played the schedule Wisconsin faced, they'd only have 1 loss and probably would not have looked as inept against Michigan. I certainly think that Boise is the better team and I don't really think it is all that close.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Can't keep a one-loss (real) major conference team out of the Top 10 at this point. Though Wisconsin may end up being the weakest 11-1 team to ever come out of the Big Ten. There is just such an unimagineable gap between Ohio State and Michigan and Wisconsin and then another between Wisconsin and the rest of the Big Ten.
Ah, but that gap may be between two of the most dominant teams in recent history (Michigan and Ohio State) and a really really good Wisconsin team. Plus Penn State hung with all 3 of 'em. Give your Lions more credit for fighting.

That's why I've been so high on Wisconsin all year long. Yes, there will be a loser on Saturday between UM and OSU but I believe both of 'em will beat the hell outta their bowl opponent and go down as one of the greatest 1-2 punches from a conference ever. Well, at least in the last 25 years.

Plus Wisconsin will destroy whatever SEC lamb they put up. 6 ft 7 inches and 319 pounds is the average size on the offensive line for the Badgers. Say goodnight overrated southern team (just like Auburn last year). Plus we'll have a healthy Stocco and a rested Winnebago. :thumbup:

SOS of the top teams in BCS Rankings…

1. Ohio State…#49 (BCS undefeated)
2. Michigan…#29 (BCS undefeated)
3. Southern Cal…#2 (lost at Oregon State)
4. Florida…#14 (lost at Auburn)
5. Notre Dame…#22 (lost vs. Michigan)
6. Rutgers…#66 (BCS undefeated)
7. Arkansas...#81 (lost vs. Southern Cal)
8. West Virginia…#54 (lost at Louisville)
9. Wisconsin…#60 (lost at Michigan)
10. Louisville…#24 (lost at Rutgers)

Funny how people love Arkansas when it is clear by these numbers they are overrated and deserve to be #10...if even that. WVU, Wisconsin, and Louisville should all be ahead of them. Wisconsin has a higher SOS and lost to a superior team in comparison to the Razorbacks. SEC kool-aid at it once again.

Another interesting note: if memory serves, any team that finishes in the #3 or #4 in the BCS gets an automatic bid…no? If that is the case (not really sure) then let’s say…

Cal beats USC
USC beats ND
LSU beats Arkansas
Arkansas beats Florida
Rutgers wins out

Final BCS…
1.Ohio State
2.Rutgers
3.Michigan
4.Wisconsin

The Badgers go to a BCS Bowl…

NC Game: Ohio State vs. Rutgers

Other Automatics: Boise State, Pac Ten Champ (most likely Cal), Arkansas, ACC Champ, Big Twelve Champ, Michigan, Wisconsin and another at-large (guessing USC or the SEC Championship Game loser).

If you reread my 5 criteria it really isn’t all that crazy. Wisconsin is definitely finishing at least #6 based on head-to-heads without any upsets. We can make it! :thumbup:
Old 11-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

I thought there was a rule that no conference could have more than two teams in BCS bowls? Maybe they did away with it now that there are 5 BCS games.

I'll give credit to Penn State's defense. They're the reason PSU hung around with all three. The offense had a chance to win every single one of those games because of how the defense played.

I think I can pinpoint the point of the season where Penn State could've turned it all around. Early in the third quarter, Dan Connor picks off Troy Smith. Penn State ball in OSU territory up 3-0. Penn State's offense once again sputters, misses a FG, ball game. Penn State scores a TD there, goes up 10-0, the Lions probably win that game. How big would a victory over #1 Ohio State, in Columbus where PSU hasn't won since '78, have been for this team?

I've seen some very shocking, scratch that, sickening statistics about Penn State's offensive performances. I'll find them and post them. Absolutely insane what they reveal about the way PSU football operates.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I don't know about the BCS rules. That is why I went on my "what if" scenario. I thought if you made it to the #4 spot and weren't a conf. champ you got in. Oh well...just fun anyway. Wisconsin will dismantle anyone you put in front of 'em.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Found it out: only two from each conference can go. You're right Alex.

What a shame. Wisconsin deserves it over many others.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #13
Alex
#1 Student Section

Penn State is 15-7 against Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin when scoring 21 or more points.

Penn State is 1-23 against Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin when scoring less than 21 points. The only win was the '05 Ohio State game.

Penn State's Big Ten PPG average since 1993:
1993- 29.4 (6-2)
1994- 48.1 (8-0)
1995- 25.9 (5-3)
1996- 28 (6-2)
1997- 27.1 (6-2)
1998- 23.6 (5-3)
1999- 29.4 (5-3)
2000- 23.3 (4-4)
2001- 23.6 (4-4)
2002- 35.8 (5-3)
2003- 19.3 (1-7)
2004- 12.6 (2-6)
2005- 35.3 (7-1)
2006- 16.9 (4-3)

Speaks volumes. So two of PSU's three highest scoring seasons in the Big Ten resulted in conference titles. The other, 2002, was four plays away from being undefeated.

I wonder if Joe has ever seen these sickening numbers? He may not feel "comfortable" playing "basketball on grass" but his two Big Ten championship teams and 1982 and 1994 teams, a combined 23-1, won with agressive offenses.

I'm sorry but I just don't ****ing get it.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

1. Ohio State - going to the Fiesta
2. Michigan - Rose
3. USC - barring loss to Cal, in the Fiesta
4. Arkansas - they need USC to lose, but also can't overlook LSU
5. Florida
6. Notre Dame
7. Wisconsin - playing in what? Outback Bowl? Alamo Bowl?
8. Rutgers
9. LSU
10. Boise State
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

7. Wisconsin - playing in what? Outback Bowl? Alamo Bowl?

Capital One.