Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 12-23-2004, 12:41 AM   #16
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

I think he was being Sarcastic.

Or maybe he was serious
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:04 AM   #17
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddEnemy
Don't forget Soccer.

I guess Canada could start a league....?

No Americans allowed!

Where would Hockey be then?

If Canada turns its' back on Baseball or Football...... who cares?

If America turns its' back on any sport it is devastating.
Yes, we all know Americans and soccer don't go together either...the same can be said in Canada, except for the fact that a lot of parents are signing they're kids up to play soccer here. I forget what the numbers were, but they were surprisingly high. It's all biased though. If you disliked the sport then fine, that's okay, but don't degrade it and call it a piece of crap. I dislike golf, see it as a boring and wake me up when it's over type of game, but I have respect for the people who play it and the skills they have.

I'm sure Canada could start a professional hockey league here and it'd do very well. It'd make more money than the NHL in it's current state. Baseball and Football would feel hits if they lost Canada. Not the biggest hit in the world, but a hit those organizations wouldn't want to take, regardless.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I disagree. I'm not a hockey fan, but I respect it as a sport. It's just not embedded into the history and soul of the U.S. like it is in Canada. The other three big sports just have such a stronghold and storied history that hockey doesn't in the U.S. It has nothing to do with us not being able to compete with Canada. Fact is, the NHL wouldn't exist with the U.S.
Marc, i was very careful when I worded my words. I didn't want to say ALL Americans, because I know that's not true. Fortunately there are people like you around, not just in the U.S, but anywhere.

Most Americans, many Americans, will not embrace something that they can't eventually take over and control. Remember when YOU made that thread in the NBA forum a while ago regarding how you disliked how the NBA is starting to get more international with players coming overseas? I know you weren't alone, my goodness, if that ever happened in the NFL there'd be the biggest backlash ever.

I don't buy 'lack of history' either. The best hockey talent in the world comes from Canada, always has and always will. Most Americans hate it, so they hate the sport.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:36 AM   #18
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

To be honest,

I would rather watch Hockey over Basketball and Baseball.

Golf, I would like to try it but that is the last damn thing I will watch in fact Tennis is above Golf in my book. Matter of fact I will watch Billiards on ESPN for 10 mins or so and have never watched that much of Golf.

Is Neck Car a sport? I can't stand that as well but I have watched it. The best part of Neck Car is when they wreck! Sort of like watching ESPN “NFL: You got Jacked Up”!

I really would like to see Rugby come around.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:31 PM   #19
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Marc, i was very careful when I worded my words. I didn't want to say ALL Americans, because I know that's not true. Fortunately there are people like you around, not just in the U.S, but anywhere.

Most Americans, many Americans, will not embrace something that they can't eventually take over and control. Remember when YOU made that thread in the NBA forum a while ago regarding how you disliked how the NBA is starting to get more international with players coming overseas? I know you weren't alone, my goodness, if that ever happened in the NFL there'd be the biggest backlash ever.

I don't buy 'lack of history' either. The best hockey talent in the world comes from Canada, always has and always will. Most Americans hate it, so they hate the sport.
Here's my problem with this. I don't like the sport in the same way many Americans don't, but the reason I don't has NOTHING to do with your reasons. You're basically telling me why I don't like the sport, and you have no idea, not being American or in my shoes. I've talked to tons of people who feel the same way I do and never has it been because we feel we can't dominate it.

It has a lot to do with tradition and history and I'm saying this as a matter of fact, unlike you. And considering myself and other people I know are the exact people you're categorizing, don't you think we would know better our reasons for not liking something than a Canadian who is looking at it from an outsider's view?

I grew up going to football and basketball games with my Dad, family, friends, etc., and playing those two sports, never playing or going to hockey games. I didn't grow up a hockey fan because it was never a fixture in my household, and nothing in recent years has been compelling to make me become a hockey fan. The NHL has done a lousy job marketing its players and itself, and now the strike is icing on the cake.

Plus, what's the problem in only liking sports where you can see your hometown heroes play? You're way off in making this some sort of "America is power hungry" argument -- it's something out of nothing. Hockey isn't engrained into the souls and lives of Americans like it is Canadians, and the NHL has to work harder to appeal to more people.

Last edited by Marc; 12-23-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:37 AM   #20
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Marc...i never said you personally. Like I said, i know there are people who don't dislike hockey because of my reasons, and that's fine and great. If you weren't raised with it and you have a problem liking it NOW because 15-17 ago it wasn't introduced into your life, then that's fine with me. I don't have anything against that. I just don't get it, but that's me. I wasn't raised around football or baseball, it was mostly hockey, soccer and basketball, but over time I began watching other sports that were never in my life before.

You cannot tell me though that my logic is completley false. Don't you think if there was an American Wayne Gretzky people would go crazy for hockey, and start watching it a lot more?
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:30 PM   #21
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

No history in hockey?? Oldest trophy in pro sports and the NHL is older than the NFL and NBA!!

Whatever you say don't say that.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #22
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bottom line, the reason hockey isn't embraced by most Americans is because it's a sport in which they don't and can't EVER dominate in. So they hate it and never watch it.
:whine: :whine: :whine: :whine: :whine:

Sounds like a jealous Canadian to me. .
Yo Brian, Canadians DO have curling, too. Ain't that enough???
:clap:

Last edited by dirtywhiteboy; 01-03-2005 at 12:48 AM.
dirtywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:45 AM   #23
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You cannot tell me though that my logic is completley false. Don't you think if there was an American Wayne Gretzky people would go crazy for hockey, and start watching it a lot more?
No, not neccessarily. I'm sure that there's somebody out there that's just awesome at ping-pong. You won't ever catch me watching, though.
You seem to think that Americans won't participate, or even watch a sport that they aren't the best at. That's absoutely false. I know that the world would like that to be true, but it's just not. It seems to me that, internationally, people try to find something to be better than the states at, and throw it in our face. What they fail to realize is that we could care less. It's more of a badge of honor IN THEIR OWN EYES for say, France, to be better at fencing than the US, when the US could care less. I have no idea how this all started. Perhaps, it's because the US DOES dominate in a lot of sports. There are two sides to every coin...

Last edited by dirtywhiteboy; 01-06-2005 at 01:02 AM.
dirtywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:32 AM   #24
azac
Sports Enthusiast

azac is on a distinguished road

I agree Marc. A lot of it has to do with what you grew up with. It takes about 10 to 15 years for a new NHL team to build a solid fan base. Teams like the Coyotes, Predators, Panthers and Hurricanes are banking on the hope that today's 5 year olds in those cities are growing up and into fans of those teams whereas it is much harder to convert for example a 35 year old sports fan from Carolina who has been watching basketball and Nascar since he was 5.

Last edited by azac; 02-26-2005 at 04:46 AM.
azac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:23 AM   #25
Karen M
Grizzled Veteran

Karen M is on a distinguished road

I'm grateful to have grown up in Detroit for many reasons, one of which is that we were able to watch Hockey Night in Canada. Long before Wings games were televised regularly we'd listen on the radio. My grandparents and parents were hockey fans going back to the 1920's. My parents were season ticket holders from the mid 40's till they started having kids in the mid 50's. They even traveled to Toronto and Chicago for those away Wings games. Youth hockey is huge (although nothing like Canada) in Detroit and remains that way today. Most High Schools in Mich now have hockey teams. I see the sport continuing to grow here, but I wonder if has to do with the proximity to Detroit and Windsor. I gotta say I find it baffling that the sport isn't more popular here in the States. Even if all the families involved in youth hockey supported the sport by demanding media coverage, I think things would change. Maybe those families are just burnt out on hockey from the time spent with the kiddies. I don't feel that way, but then I'd choose to watch hockey over any other sport offered on the tellie or in person. I just recently switched from satellite to cable and was delighted to find that College hockey from all over was broadcast during the season. Maybe ya gotta grow up with it. Maybe ya had grow up with it prior to the huge viewing choices now available. All I know is that not having hockey this season bummed me out and i'm afraid that the attitude of sports writers and broadcasters here in the States toward hockey, will make it more and more difficult for those of us that are true fans of the game. Sattelite and cable companies tell me they are unable to get the CBC because of govt regulations. We could be in for a rough time for viewing. Purchasing a hockey package from sattelite or cable companies is really all we've got for decent coverage of the game.
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:18 PM   #26
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

You know that as of last year, the best selling merchandise of any pro sports team was the Red Wings? It's a fact, ..it was once the Raiders, then the Cowboys before it became the Red Wings. I'm not really sure if this is still true with the lockout and all?

I'm proud to be a Detroiter too!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #27
buffalobills#1
Rookie Player

buffalobills#1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Heathen
I'm not even going to dignify this with a response.

DUDE, SOCCER IS LIKE WATCHING PAINT DRY!! OR BETTER YET GRASS GROW!!! SEND IT BACK TO EUROPE OR SOUTH AMERICA OR BETTER YET THE MOON!!! IT SUCKS!!! I THINK CURLING IS MORE EXCITING TO WATCH OR MAYBE BRIDGE!!!
buffalobills#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #28
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Oookay....you dig up a thread that's been dead for two months to respond WITH A LOT OF CAPITAL LETTERS AND EXCAMATION MARKS TO A COMMENT THAT WAS MADE SEVEN MONTHS AGO!!!!!

Sorry, Buffalo, didn't mean to snipe. Say, have you ever heard of the ESPN boards? Why, they're even better than us, and no one yells at you, even!

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:58 PM   #29
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

Minor league hockey in the U.S. is how I guage what states are "in" to hockey. Surprisingly, I find 2 of the most upbeat states to be Mississippi and Virginia. I'm from Hampton and have seen intense hockey in the ECHL with the Roanoke Express, Richmond Renegades, and the Admerals. The fan base is very good, with Hampton at one point a few years back averaging 9,000 a game. Incredible for minor leauge hockey. There are new teams in Roanoke and Richmond, I beleive they play in the UHL. I'm sure there doing well. As for Mississippi, I've traveled there just to watch the Muddogs, and another team I can't quite think of. The little arena was packed for a ECHL playoff game. I've been up north and even on the west coast to watch minor league hockey, and it isn't as loved imo. I know college probaly means alot more and I know thats big up north. But there are Southern States that are big into minor league hockey.

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:19 AM   #30
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm... I didn't know that about hockey in the South. There is a minor league hockey team coming to my city next year. They're building an arena specifically for it. Hope is to get an Arena Football League team the year after that. A minor league team of sorts. I didn't even know the AFL had a minor league system til I heard about this. If I can get free tickets and parking, I MAY check the hockey out...provided it doesn't conflict with anything football.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote