Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-29-2005, 07:16 PM   #31
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
joe torre - Probably even though I think he is overrated when it comes to actually managing the strategy of the game. But, he has the rings to back up his induction.
Really??? Overrated, huh? How do you mean "when it comes to actually managing the strategy of the game"; examples??? Francona's the man, but I consider Torre the best in the game right now.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:31 PM   #32
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Joe Torre is the Phil Jackson of baseball he is more of a personnel manager than a game manager. Why do you think he had Zimmer around all those years? Look at his track record in the NL where it takes more strategic acumen to win. Torre ended up being in the right place at the right time. Look at how the Yanks have fared under Torre when they did not have the hands-down best roster in baseball.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 PM   #33
FMHornet
All-Star Player

FMHornet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Really??? Overrated, huh? How do you mean "when it comes to actually managing the strategy of the game"; examples??? Francona's the man, but I consider Torre the best in the game right now.
I agree, a manager that can handle his players, media and win
Old 12-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #34
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Look at how the Yanks have fared under Torre when they did not have the hands-down best roster in baseball.
I would say pretty good. They still managed to win the AL East even with a beat up pitching staff this past season.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #35
yonglo32
go seahawks

yonglo32 is on a distinguished road

u know, i think the baseball hall of fame doesnt include some important players. i mean...the japan leagues never get consideration. im glad they have the negro leagues but look at sada oh. he had more homers than a-rod will ever hit! and hes never been considered.
NFL: Seattle Seahawks
MLB: Chicago Cubs
yonglo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #36
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I agree with this. Japanese players should be considered, but they have their own Hall of Fame, I believe. They are not a part of MLB, at least not yet. When they are assimilated into our major leagues, they will get a lot more consideration. Their players will not be considered "rookies" when they play their first season here anymore.
The Negro Leagues were, for the most part included in MLB's history, and when given an opportunity to create a Hall of Fame for Negro Leaguers, people like Buck O'Neil said "If the player's stats are good enough he should be in the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown." Rather than creating a Hall of Fame, they created a Negro League Museum in Kansas City, which I will promote here:
http://nlbm.com
If you are in Kansas City or are planning a visit, it is well worth your time to check it out. It is located at 17th & Vine and is adjoined by the Jazz Museum. It makes for an enjoyable day or 2 and my wife and I make trips there frequently. Buck is still living and just turned 94. He is an amazing guy. If you get a chance to visit with him, you'll understand more of what they went through.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #37
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonglo32
u know, i think the baseball hall of fame doesnt include some important players. i mean...the japan leagues never get consideration. im glad they have the negro leagues but look at sada oh. he had more homers than a-rod will ever hit! and hes never been considered.
I think the Japan leagues should get a small section in the Hall with emphasis on Oh, but there really is no comparison between the two leagues - you have the greatest number of the best players ni the world playing in MLB, so you really can't compare Oh's homerun total vs Aaron, Ruth, Bonds, etc.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #38
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Here is a list of qualifications that Bill James considers germaine to the voting:
1. Was he ever regarded as the best player in baseball? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in baseball?

2. Was he the best player on his team?

3. Was he the best player in baseball at his position? Was he the best player in the league at his position?

4. Did he have an impact on a number of pennant races?

5. Was he good enough that he could play regularly after passing his prime?

6. Is he the very best baseball player in history who is not in the Hall of Fame?

7. Are most players who have comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame?

8. Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards?

9. Is there any evidence to suggest that the player was significantly better or worse than is suggested by his statistics?

10. Is he the best player at his position who is eligible for the Hall of Fame?

11. How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award? If not, how many times was he close?

12. How many All-Star-type seasons did he have? How many All-Star games did he play in? Did most of the players who played in this many All-Star games go into the Hall of Fame?

13. If this man were the best player on his team, would it be likely that the team could win the pennant?

14. What impact did the player have on baseball history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way?

15. Did the player uphold the standards of sportsmanship and character that the Hall of Fame, in its written guidelines, instructs us to consider?

If a player scores 8/15 affirmative responses, he should be considered a legitimate HOF candidate.

Catman
Old 01-17-2006, 09:31 PM   #39
yonglo32
go seahawks

yonglo32 is on a distinguished road

ok how do say on the announcers/brodcasters. should they get in?
NFL: Seattle Seahawks
MLB: Chicago Cubs
yonglo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:36 PM   #40
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

They are voted on by their committees.

Catman