Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > Site Feedback

Old 09-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default S-C's past.

Since I wasn't a member here when S-C was first opened, I was just woundering how it all started. The boards came up in 2001, right? And was the web site up long before the boards? Was Marc the first owner of the site? How long after the boards were open did the main mods like Lee, Simon, Brandon, and Nate come?

Just woundering...

Last edited by Ellis; 09-06-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Well, the site has been around since 1998. One of the first hosts of the site was actfit.com which was pretty crappy 'cuz I was with them at one point but they provided everything FREE... domain, hosting, everything. The boards used to be from some free board domain like ezboard or something until Marc bought the vBulletin software and since then it's undergone 2 or 3 redesigns up to the one you see now. The boards really sucked under the old software so I never posted much 'till he got vBulliten and then it really started to pick up.

Marc used to have screenshots of the old site designs off of the main website page but I can't seem to find them anymore. I wish he'd post them, some of them are pretty bad compared to what is going on now.

Marc has always been the owner/webmaster of this site and Nate did a lot of the early designs so obviously they are the best to talk to. I started on SC in 1999 when I used to be a columnist and got to about 60 or so articles which was by far the most of any columnist at the time but I quit that part in 2002 when I moved to University and didn't have time for that anymore. Marc keeps asking me to come back and write and I hope to one day but I just don't have time anymore to do a consistent and quality job.

P.S. Marc watch out, one day I will really want to use the new article submission procedure and surprise you with a "come-back" article
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Actually, it's rather funny to look at some of the old designs. I discovered a thread I started over 3 years ago showing some of the old designs of the main site.

https://www.sports-central.org/commu...&threadid=1246

I've been helping Marc out with his site in some capacity pretty much since it opened, and we used to run an entirely different website together. I didn't participate on the boards until the vBulletin got installed, and you can see I joined just days after it opened.

Ahh...memories...

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Good find, Nate. Indeed, the site, and everyone involved, have come a LONG way.

1998: me in seventh grade
2004: me in college

I guess I've kept this place so long because I am a persistent person by nature, and my passion for sports has remained, so it's cool to be able to reach so many people, etc.

When I started it, I was just toying around and it pretty much a personal homepage where I re-posted news from other sources (give me a break, I was in middle school, LOL). Now we've got a full-fledged staff and too many people applying for me to even accept all of them.

I guess, more than anything, you can become big by slowly growing over time. I still have big aspirations about SC.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Note to self: Keep on Marc's good side. He might be the next Bill Gates.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:03 AM   #6
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I started off probably around my freshman year of high school working for the main site writing articles. Not very high quality, mind you, my writing skills have increased over the past 5 years. But towards the end of high school I ran out time to showcase the improvement.

While writing articles, I never participated in the MB, but when I quit writing, I wanted to continue with the site. So I asked Marc about becoming a MLB mod. And that's where it is at today. Much less participation from me than there used to be, but still this site is a habitual check once a day or so.

Every once in a while I still get an inkling to write an article or two. Maybe someday, like Lee said. I googled my name the other day and came up with some republished articles. It was interesting to read.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc

I guess, more than anything, you can become big by slowly growing over time. I still have big aspirations about SC.
Marc, what aspirations do you have for SC? What areas would you like to see improved, and what additions to the site do you have in mind? (just curious )
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
Marc, what aspirations do you have for SC? What areas would you like to see improved, and what additions to the site do you have in mind? (just curious )
Since you asked ... I'd like the expand the publication of the content into newspapers and magazines, more syndication. I'm trying to get SC columns into the university newspaper here. I'd like to eventually bring more people on board to help with posting content, and I'd like to take advantage of more creative advertisements. Perhaps a premium/subscriber area would be possible, providing an ad-free version of the site, maybe with premium content.

Additionally, finding some way to integrate ecommerce into the site would potentially be really beneficial. I'd like to register the site as a legit business, either a sole proprietorship (which it unoffically already is) or LLC (limited liability corporation), and find more creative ways to generate revenue than just advertising. That's where the subscriber and ecommerce ideas come in. Finally, if the site continues to grow, I'd like to work out some way to compensate the 40+ columnists.

Last edited by Marc; 09-28-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:51 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Finally, if the site continues to grow, I'd like to work out some way to compensate the 40+ columnists.
You mean, "firstly," right?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:39 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

If that's the case maybe I'll start writing again

...seriously though, I have thought about comming back... maybe 1 article/month. We'll see.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:50 PM   #11
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
You mean, "firstly," right?
So can I start writing now, and get payed for back time when you do start shelling out cash? :goof:
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:13 AM   #12
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

LOL Mike... I'm sure there are quite a few of us (myself included) that would have a really good piece or five in them, but the impression I gather is that there's more than plenty of us to go around, and scrubs like you and I have little to no chance of getting a piece aired.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote