Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 01-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Kansas vs. Kentucky

A huge top-10 showdown between two of the three most winningest schools of all-time. At Rupp Arena, Sunday afternoon. 10-1 Kentucky vs. 10-0 Kansas. Does it get better than this? Predictions, you all?

Kansas is without their best player, Wayne Simien, and can be beaten inside. Because of that, I'm taking Kentucky at home, 67-63.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

Kansas without Simien should be ideal for the Cats. Azubuike and Hayes are obviously going to be the strong suits for Kentucky in this game, and with Kansas almost falling to Texas A&M, Bill Self is gonna be hard-pressed to get this team ready for Kentucky.

I like Kentucky as well, 69-62.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Kansas 74, Kentucky 71.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Without Simien, Kansas is not the same team. If the game was at Allen Fieldhouse, I would probably pick Kansas but since it's in Lexington, I'll take Kentucky 75-71 in one of the most exciting games this season. This one reminds me of the North Carolina-UConn game from last season.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Kentucky could've had it, but could not hang with Kansas at the end. The Wildcats' offense failed down the stretch. For every great play (the three in the corner, Sparks' circus shot) there was an offensive mistake: missed FTs, Sparks losing the ball out of bounds, etc.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Not a big surprise, but I thought we could have pulled it off. I give credit to Kansas, people stepped up for them and they got a tough road win. But this was a "good" loss for Kentucky if you can say that. They will be at a different place in March than they are in January, and they've already made good strides. They would have been blown out had this been placed in November. It's not the end of the world, although I bet my fellow fans will think so.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:25 AM   #7
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Was sorry to see that....

:whine: :whine: :whine: :whine: :whine:
Old 01-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

A Kansas win, in Kentucky, where they'd never won before, without Simien and an off-night from JR Giddens and the Jayhawks still pull this out?

Yeah, I'll take that.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 AM   #9
Marc
Administrator

To add insult to injury: McDonald's All-American guard Joe Crawford is transferring. Horrible week for Wildcats fans.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:20 AM   #10
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

I've always been put in a weird predicament when it comes to Kentucky. I first started watching college basketball when UMass, Mississippi State, Kentucky, and Syracuse in 1996, and selected Kentucky as my favorite. Since then, I've been a Kentucky basketball fan. But I am a huge Florida fan and amplified that beginning with the NCAA Finals appearance against Michigan State. With Kentucky not only being in the same conference (SEC) but also the same division (SEC East), it's hard for me to go for both of them. But I've somewhat found a medium.

I still cheer for Kentucky when I can (only unless their fortunes hurt Florida). But doesn't it seem that Kentucky is on a downhill course? They are on more of a rebuilding course this year, although they've received big strides from some of their players. Their stunning loss last year ended a great season. Now, Joe Crawford transfers? Nobody transfers from Kentucky unless they wear pads.

What's going on in Lexington?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Whoa, Cowboy.

I know people are going to look at this post with an eyebrow raised because of my loyalties, but Kentucky is NOT on a downward slope. They have won more games the last three seasons than ANY team in college basketball. They have dominated the SEC with numerous titles in recent years, and now have the best recruiting class in America (even without Crawford, they still start two All-Americans).

I don't see how a TOP 10 team is rebuilding, Cowboy. They are 10-2 with their only losses at North Carolina and vs. Kansas. And while rare, players do transfer from Kentucky, as is the case with EVERY school.

If there is one thing Kentucky HASN'T done in recent years that is of concern, that is premature exits from the tournament. They were unlucky to face Marquette with future NBA superstar Dwyane Wade, and the UAB loss was just a fluke, but horribly disappointing nonetheless.

Kentucky needs to get back to the Final Four and stop losing to teams they have no business losing to, but as a whole, they are still a national powerhouse with a very bright future.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:51 AM   #12
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Your right. Players transfer from every school, but I've never heard of a McDonald's All-American and a highly sought after recruit who was so adamant on being in Lexington, suddenly change his mind.

Maybe I went a bit too far with saying rebuilding.. It's just more reloading. And maybe perhaps I'm just used to a dominating Kentucky team that I just really don't see so far this year.

But then again, I haven't completely switched over to college basketball mode...
Old 01-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy22
Your right. Players transfer from every school, but I've never heard of a McDonald's All-American and a highly sought after recruit who was so adamant on being in Lexington, suddenly change his mind.

Maybe I went a bit too far with saying rebuilding.. It's just more reloading. And maybe perhaps I'm just used to a dominating Kentucky team that I just really don't see so far this year.

But then again, I haven't completely switched over to college basketball mode...
Crawford initially committed to Michigan, but changed his mind and went to Kentucky, so he wasn't "adamant" on going to UK all along. Reloading would be the better term, but this team is still very young, so they aren't playing their best ball yet. This is to be expected. Crawford, by the way, is going to Michigan State and will have to sit out a year and a half. He really just wanted to be near home (Detroit), but it's quite a sacrifice to make.