Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default & the hits just keep on comin'...

It seems that everything & everybody is under suspicion nowadays...

It'll never end....

Report: Grimsley names six players

Future Hall of Famer Roger Clemens is one of six players accused by a former teammate of using performance-enhancing drugs, the Los Angeles Times is reporting.

The Times reports that the other players whose identities had been concealed on an affidavit filed in federal court are Astros pitcher Andy Pettitte, former American League MVP Miguel Tejada, and current Orioles Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons. The sixth player, David Segui who has retired from the game previously came forward to admit that his name was among those blacked out in the affidavit.

Grimsley, a journeyman player who pitched for several teams, including the Yankees, Orioles and Angels, has acknowledged using steroids, amphetamines and other drugs, according to a document. Grimsley also implicated a number of former teammates, but the names were blacked out in copies of the affidavit that were made public in June.

The discovery ends months of speculation over the identities of the players implicated by Grimsley.

A source with authorized access to an unedited affidavit allowed the Los Angeles Times to see it, but retained it to read back what had been blacked out of the public copies. A second source and confidante of Grimsley had previously disclosed player identities and provided additional details about the affidavit. The Los Angeles Times sources insisted on anonymity.

According to the affidavit shown to the Los Angeles Times, Grimsley told federal investigators that Clemens and Pettitte "used athletic performance-enhancing drugs." Grimsley also said that Tejada used anabolic steroids.

Grimsley was detained in May after he allegedly received an illegal shipment of human growth hormones that was tracked to his Scottsdale, Ariz., home by a task force of federal agents investigating drug use in professional baseball, the affidavit said. For a short time, Grimsley secretly cooperated with investigators before retaining a lawyer.

Clemens and Pettitte were teammates of Grimsley on the Yankees from 1999-2000. Grimsley was a member of the Orioles in 2005, when he played alongside Tejada, Gibbons and Roberts. Grimsley and Segui were both members of the 2004 Orioles.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6018380
Old 10-01-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Interesting. When will the allegations stop? Will there be proof that these guys "juiced"?
Will this change people's perception of the Rocket?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #3
FMHornet
All-Star Player

FMHornet is on a distinguished road

More black eyes for baseball
Old 10-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

This, for all intents and purposes, probably puts a cap on Clemens' career. My guess is he retires rather than face the scrutiny of the media next season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I disagree - I don't think this will bother or influence Clemens one bit. This is all garbage IMO. I still believe Jose Canseco when he said Roger has never juiced and that he is flat out one of the hardest workers he's ever seen (quote from his book "Juiced")
Old 10-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, but from Clemens' standpoint when you have reached just about every record you are going to achieve and have more than enough money to retire on why come back and have to deal with the media scrutiny next year? Who needs it? It is not as if he has not won a World Series or anything.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote