tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road
Default Ten Must-See Movies for Winter 2007/2008

Juno
Release Date: December 5, 2007
Directed by Jason Reitman
Written by Diablo Cody
Starring Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, Allison Janney, Ellen Page, JK Simmons, Olivia Thirlby and Rainn Wilson
Premise: Juno stars Ellen Page as the title character, a whip-smart teen confronting an unplanned pregnancy by her classmate Bleeker (Cera). With the help of her hot best friend Leah (Thirlby), Juno finds her unborn child a "perfect" set of parents: an affluent suburban couple, Mark and Vanessa (Bateman and Garner), longing to adopt. Luckily, Juno has the total support of her parents (Simmons and Janney) as she faces some tough decisions, flirts with adulthood and ultimately figures out where she belongs.

Atonement
Release Date: December 7, 2007
Directed by Joe Wright
Written by Christopher Hampton
Starring Brenda Blethyn, Romola Garai, Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Vanessa Redgrave, Saoirse Ronan and Juno Temple
Premise: On a hot summer day in 1935, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis witnesses a moment's flirtation between her older sister, Cecilia, and Robbie Turner (James McAvoy), the son of a servant and Cecilia's childhood friend. But Briony's incomplete grasp of adult motives-together with her precocious literary gifts-brings about a crime that will change all their lives.

I Am Legend
Release Date: December 14, 2007
Directed by Francis Lawrence
Written by Akiva Goldsman and Mark Protosevich
Starring Alice Braga, Will Smith, Willow Smith, Charlie Tahan andSalli Richardson-Whitfield
Premise: Robert Neville (Will Smith) is a brilliant scientist, but even he could not contain the terrible virus that was unstoppable, incurable... and manmade. Somehow immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City... and maybe the world. But he is not alone. He is surrounded by "the Infected"-victims of the plague who have mutated into carnivorous beings who can only exist in the dark and who will devour or infect anyone or anything in their path. For three years, Neville has spent his days scavenging for food and supplies and faithfully sending out radio messages, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. All the while, the Infected lurk in the shadows, watching Neville's every move, waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind's last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus using his own immune blood. But his blood is also what The Infected hunt, and Neville knows he is outnumbered and quickly running out of time.

Sweeney Todd
Release Date: December 21, 2007
Directed by Tim Burton
Written by John Logan
Starring Jamie Campbell Bowen, Helena Bonham Carter, Sacha Baron Cohen, Johnny Depp, Laura Michelle Kelly, Christopher Lee, Alan Rickman, Ed Sanders, Timothy Spall and Jayne Wisener
Premise: The story of Sweeney Todd is of a wrongfully imprisoned barber in Victorian England who sets out to seek revenge on the judge who imprisoned him. The plot is foreshadowed in the first lines of the opening number: "Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd./His skin was pale and his eye was odd./He shaved the faces of gentlemen/Who never thereafter were heard of again."

The Bucket List
Release Date: December 25, 2007
Directed by Rob Reiner
Written by Justin Zackham
Starring Morgan Freeman, Sean Hayes, Rob Morrow and Jack Nicholson
Premise: Two terminally ill men escape from a cancer ward and head off on a road trip with a wish list of to-dos before they die.

Charlie Wilson's War
Release Date: December 25, 2007
Directed by Mike Nichols
Written by Aaron Sorkin
Starring Amy Adams, Nazanin Boniadi, Tom Hanks, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Om Puri, Julia Roberts, and Jud Tylor
Premise: Based on George Crile's book about the CIA's largest and most successful covert CIA operation, the arming of the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan. The covert ops were engineered by Charlie Wilson (Hanks), a charismatic, wheeler-dealer, liberal Texas congressman who teamed with a rogue CIA operative (Hoffman). The two manipulated Congress, the CIA and a host of foreign governments in order to assist the Afghan rebels in their fight against the Soviets in the 1980s. Many of the men armed by the CIA went on to become the Taliban's enforcers and Osama bin Laden's protectors.

There Will Be Blood
Release Date: December 26, 2007
Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
Written by Paul Thomas Anderson
Starring Paul Dano, Daniel Day-Lewis, Ciaran Hinds and Kevin J. O'Connor
Premise: A sprawling epic about family, greed, corruption, and the pursuit of the American dream. Set in the booming West coast oil fields at the turn of the 20th century, There Will Be Blood follows the rise of rugged prospector Daniel Plainview (Day-Lewis) who becomes an independent oilman after hitting it rich with the strike of a lifetime. Written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film is inspired by Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil!"

Cloverfield
Release Date: January 18, 2008
Directed by Matt Reeves
Written by Drew Goddard
Starring Lizzy Kaplan, Odet Jasmin, Michael Stahl-David and Mike Vogel
Premise: A giant monster movie (referred internally as Godzilla) which is shot using home video cameras from the point of view of real people who are experiencing the attack on New York City.

My Blueberry Nights
Release Date: February 13, 2008
Directed by Wong Kar Wai
Written by Wong Kar Wai
Starring Norah Jones, Jude Law, Natalie Portman, David Strathairn and Rachel Weisz
Premise: The movie centers on a woman, played by singer Norah Jones, who travels across the country searching for answers about love and finding comedic adventures along the way.

The Other Boleyn Girl
Release Date: February 29, 2008
Directed by Justin Chadwick
Written by Peter Morgan
Starring Eric Bana, Scarlett Johansson, David Morrissey, Natalie Portman, Mark Rylance, and Kristin Scott Thomas
Premise: Based on a novel by Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl revolves around the ferociously ambitious Boleyn sisters, Mary (Johansson) and Anne (Portman), who are rivals for the bed and heart of 16th century English King Henry VIII (Eric Bana).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I am not sure what to think of I am Legend just yet. I think it is gong to be really awesome and suspenseful or downright plodding and boring.

Is Cloverfield the one that had a trailer prior the Transformers that did not give the name of the movie? My girlfriend and I were just wondering the other day what happened with that flick as we have seen nothing on it since then.

Charlie Wilson's War looks like it might be entertaining.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
I am not sure what to think of I am Legend just yet. I think it is gong to be really awesome and suspenseful or downright plodding and boring.
It certainly looks like the type of film that will either be a hit or a miss. There doesn't look to be much in-between...

Quote:
Is Cloverfield the one that had a trailer prior the Transformers that did not give the name of the movie? My girlfriend and I were just wondering the other day what happened with that flick as we have seen nothing on it since then.
Yep. Although I don't know if Cloverfield will actually be the title of the movie, yet.

Quote:
Charlie Wilson's War looks like it might be entertaining.
It depends on how well Aaron Sorkin has mixed the comedy and the drama together. But I have high hopes for the film.

I am most anticipating Juno. It looks like it will be the best comedy of the year.

Hopefully I take in a few more of the winter movies than I did the fall flicks -- I only saw two of the films on my ten must-see; Michael Clayton (**.5) and American Gangster (***).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Juno sounds great. Miiccchhhaaaeeelllllll and George Michael reuinited!

The Bucket List and Charlie Wilson's War also look good.