Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 01-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road
Default Hawks and Heat to replay final 51.9 seconds...

For first time since '82, NBA upholds protest requiring replay

For the first time since 1982, the NBA is sending two teams back to the court for a do-over.

The Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat must replay the final 51.9 seconds of their game last month because the official scorer ruled incorrectly that Shaquille O'Neal fouled out, the league said Friday.

The Hawks won 117-111 at home in overtime Dec. 19, but strike that one from the books. For now, playoff-contending Atlanta has one less win, while the Heat have one less loss on their hapless record.

"We're human. We make mistakes," Hawks owner Michael Gearon Jr. said. "There certainly wasn't anything malicious about it. We have one of the most senior scoring staffs in the league. They're good. It happened. There's not much we can do about it."

Making it a truly miserable day: Atlanta followed up NBA commissioner David Stern's decision by losing to Washington 102-98 in overtime.

The NBA said the replay will be held before Miami's next visit to Atlanta on March 8. Play will start from the time after O'Neal's disputed sixth foul, with the Hawks leading 114-111.

"Wait a minute! I picked up a win today, or lost a loss," Heat coach Pat Riley quipped in New Orleans before a 114-88 loss to the Hornets. "I can wake up tomorrow knowing there's one less loss."

The Hawks also were fined $50,000, with Stern ruling the team was "grossly negligent" in failing to address the mistake.

The protest is the first granted by the NBA since December 1982, when then-NBA commissioner Larry O'Brien upheld a request for a replay by the San Antonio Spurs after their 137-132 double-overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers the previous month.

The Spurs and Lakers finally finished the game in April 1983, with San Antonio winning 117-114.

The Hawks were caught off guard by Stern's ruling, feeling he was trying to send a message in light of another scoring mistake that occurred in Atlanta early last season.

"Come on," Gearon said. "You can see how many times coaches, assistant coaches and trainers walk up to (the scoring table) during a game. They're walking up there for a reason. They're asking questions, whether it's confirming timeout or points or other issues."

Team spokesman Arthur Triche said no one on the stat crew had been replaced, but changes have been made in the way they operate. Two people run the official book at courtside, while the four-person computer stat crew is 26 rows above the court in another press location. The two crews are supposed to check with each other if any discrepancies come up.

"While it was an honest mistake made on the table, there was a communication breakdown in not following through the procedures that are in place," Triche said. "That's why we're in this predicament."

The Hawks were leading 112-111 in overtime when O'Neal was called for a foul. The official scorers said it was the Miami center's sixth foul, when actually it was only his fifth.

The mistake stemmed from a foul with 3:24 remaining in the fourth quarter that was called on Udonis Haslem but was mistakenly credited to O'Neal at the scoring table.

"That's crazy, man! I don't even think I can play because I fouled out," Atlanta's Josh Smith said. "David Stern is the head honcho, so if he says we've got to play another 51 seconds that's what we've got to play. Bottom line."

Stern ruled the Hawks "failed to follow league-mandated scoring procedures and failed to respond effectively when the members of the statisticians' crew noticed the mistake," the NBA said in a statement.

Said Haslem: "I'm not the kind of guy who likes to argue or cry over spilled milk, but we've got a second chance so we'll try to make the best of it."

While the Heat are having an awful season, dropping back to 8-28 before the day was done to remain last in the Eastern Conference, the decision could have a profound impact on Atlanta's hopes of making the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

The Hawks went from .500 to two games under (15-17) in one day, though they still hold the eighth -- and final -- spot in the East. Imagine if they lose the replay, then miss the playoffs by one game.

"Bottom line is we're here to try to make the playoffs," coach Mike Woodson said. "You've got to live with it. We'll face those 51 seconds in March."

The NBA requires the official scorers to coordinate foul calls with the rest of the stat crew during every timeout. That apparently didn't happen in this case, resulting in the mistake going unnoticed until after the game, when the Hawks put out revised boxes showing O'Neal with six fouls.

"Other than filing the protest, I haven't given it any thought since then. It wasn't until everybody started doing some research on all of the things that went on behind the scenes," Riley said.

"I don't really know what the checks and balances are for fouls and how they're done. I think the league felt we probably deserved an opportunity to go back and play the last 51 seconds."

Especially because this involved Atlanta, where another statistical problem occurred just last season.

On Nov. 24, 2006, the official scorer failed to credit Toronto's T.J. Ford with a basket that would have given the Raptors a late tie and an opportunity to change the outcome of a 97-93 loss.

"Because of this conduct by Atlanta's personnel, Miami suffered a clear competitive disadvantage, as O'Neal -- the Heat's second-leading scorer and rebounder that night -- was removed from a one-point game with only 51.9 seconds remaining," the NBA statement said.

On the NBA's official Web site, those final 51 seconds have already been wiped from the books. The Dec. 19 schedule shows 12 games as finals, but the one in Atlanta is still in progress. The box score and play-by-play are on hold.

Al Horford hit two free throws after O'Neal's foul to put the Hawks up 114-111. That's where the game will resume.

Miami's ball.

"It's always something with the Hawks," Atlanta's Tyronn Lue said. "It's a bad business, man, but we'll get through it."

I have no problem with replaying the final 51.9 seconds -- although, I don't see it mattering for either one of these teams in the long-run -- but why doesn't the league ever replay games where players weren't credited with baskets or credited for the correct amount of points (2-points instead of 3)?
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The irony here is that they are going to make them replay the last minute of the game because of Shaq mistakenly being told he fouled out of the game and, in all likelihood, he will not be available for that game as it is being rumored that he is leaning towards shutting it down for the season if the Heat do not make quick turnaround and get back into contention.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Stern ruled the Hawks "failed to follow league-mandated scoring procedures and failed to respond effectively when the members of the statisticians' crew noticed the mistake," the NBA said in a statement.

That's why they are replaying it. When officials error, it is generally accepted that they error without prejudice. The Hawks were to blame here and are lucky Stern doesn't simply award Miami with the win.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

This is awesome. Finally, someone will pay attention to a Hawks game. :lol:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
franco
Grizzled Veteran

franco is on a distinguished road

This is a good rule to make the nba games more better. Hope the Hawks will go to the playoffs this season because they are playing good basketball.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco View Post
This is a good rule to make the nba games more better. Hope the Hawks will go to the playoffs this season because they are playing good basketball.
Welcome!!!:thumbup:

I am glad to see the Hawks playing as well as they have, and maybe they will make the playoffs, but I hope not at the expense of my Magic!!
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
franco
Grizzled Veteran

Hello suedon1970. I think that the Magic will still make the playoffs because they are a powerhouse in the east. The hawks playoffs or no playoffs the magic will be in the title run this year. The magic is also my favorite team in the east.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco View Post
Hello suedon1970. I think that the Magic will still make the playoffs because they are a powerhouse in the east. The hawks playoffs or no playoffs the magic will be in the title run this year. The magic is also my favorite team in the east.
Yeah, they have definitely held their own so far against Boston & Detroit. I'm just glad to see that they've played so well this far into the season. Most years they start out red hot, then around Christmas they falter. It helps that Miami has completely collapsed this season, but the Wizards & the Hawks are still out there....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
franco
Grizzled Veteran

Yes I agree with you that the Heat is no where in the playoff radar. Right now the heat are definitely in a slump. Wade is the only player carrying the team. Davis and Haslem should really score more.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Haslem's never going to be more than a 10-13 ppg scorer. He is a poor mans Horace Grant which is a guy who rebounds, plays some defense, and scores mostly garbage points. He really does not have the skillset to be a primary low post scorer.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
franco
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah doublee you got a point there. What are teams you are rooting for this year to win the playoffs?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I'd like to see Orlando and New Orleans do something this year. The league needs some new blood playing into late May. I'd also like to see Portland make a run. I love watching Brandon Roy play. I never understood why Charlotte passed on him for Adam Morrison.

The Bobcats would be right in the thick of things in the East if Roy were there.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
The league needs some new blood playing into late May.
New blood, yes. But established franchises in major markets doing well is what the league truly needs.

The NBA needs Boston and Los Angeles to make some noise this season, or interest will continue to suffer (I, personally, would love to see New Orleans or San Antonio win it all).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
franco
Grizzled Veteran

I am also rooting for Orlando. I also hoped that Portland can make it into the playoffs because they really earned it having won 10+ games straight.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
Marny Navis
Sports Enthusiast

Marny Navis is on a distinguished road

It's nice that they're letting the teams play again, but Miami has new players, and won't be suiting up the same players that they did that game, so why have them replay part of it? In my opinion, you should not be able to play new players in a game in which they were not even part of the team.
Marny Navis is offline   Reply With Quote