Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends ...

... The Michael Vick Show, that is.

And guess where it may be picking up where it left off?

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/around-the-web/

Singletary not ruling out Vick to 49ers

San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Singletary didn’t exactly say the team would pursue Michael Vick, if and when the quarterback is able to play.

But Singletary didn’t rule it out either.

The 49ers used two different quarterbacks during the 2008 season, with limited success. The team finished 7-9 as J.T. O’Sullivan started the first eight games before Shaun Hill took over, going 5-3 as a starter.

For now, it sounds as if Singletary favors former No. 1 draft pick Alex Smith for the starting QB spot. Smith missed the entire ‘08 season with a shoulder injury after being demoted in the preseason in favor of O’Sullivan.

“If everything works out with Alex and he’s back, we need to look at that and go as far as we can go with that,” Singletary told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. “The whole Michael Vick thing, we have to sit down and talk about that. But for right now, we have enough on our plates.”

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said Friday that the team is trying to trade its former franchise quarterback, saying a deal is in the “best interests” of the team and Vick, who is serving jail time on federal dogfighting charges.

NFL Network’s Adam Schefter initially reported that the 49ers might be interested in Vick when the team brought in former Falcons coach Dan Reeves for an interview to be the offensive coordinator. The team hired Jimmy Raye for the post.

Last edited by Anthony; 02-18-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

If the Niners bring in Vick I'll be hard-pressed to continue rooting for them. Beyond the fact that I have never considered Vick a particularly good QB, I think his presence would likely be a distraction, and I don't think it would be a good situation for a new coach who's supposed to be a tough, disciplinarian type.

I pine for the days of Eddie DeBartolo running the team! That man knew how to lie, cheat and steal his way to championship talent.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Anthony

But could you imagine the far-left loons of the PETA variety locking horns with those from the 'hood who would reflexively defend Vick?

It would make for awesome "street theater," Bay Area style.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I will be interested to see what kind of shape he is in and how he looks as a player, no matter where he is. It's going to hurt the team's PR no matter where he goes, too.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Falcons release Vick, still needs NFL reinstatement, which I think is imminent...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4253231

So who bites (no pun intended :lol? Someone will...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
Anthony

Maybe the Vikings if Favre decides to stay retired?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I thought all along that the Niners make the most sense.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Maybe the Vikings if Favre decides to stay retired?
Why? Vick is no better a passer than Tarvaris Jackson is. The only thing Vick might be better than him at is running the ball.

I don't think San Francisco is a good fit either. Singletary is trying to weed out the distractions and bad lockerroom guys he does not need the distraction of the circus that Vick is sure to bring to town.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!

Last edited by Anthony; 06-14-2009 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Wanted to quote the post - hit "Edit" by mistake
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Why? Vick is no better a passer than Tarvaris Jackson is. The only thing Vick might be better than him at is running the ball.

You're probably right! But just the same, at least with Vick in there everybody wouldn't stick 12 guys in the box to stop Adrian Peterson, the way they do when Jackson is under center.

Quote:
I don't think San Francisco is a good fit either. Singletary is trying to weed out the distractions and bad lockerroom guys he does not need the distraction of the circus that Vick is sure to bring to town.

The San Fran thing appears to be a dead letter - and while I've heard nothing out of Buffalo to suggest that the Bills have expressed any interest in Vick, I say they should: There is a word for Trent Edwards - but Marc wants to keep this a family-oriented forum! :lol:

And besides, if Buffalo could spring for T.O., why not Michael Vick?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You're probably right! But just the same, at least with Vick in there everybody wouldn't stick 12 guys in the box to stop Adrian Peterson, the way they do when Jackson is under center.
I am not so sure it has as much to do with the QB as it does their receivers. Bernard Berrian is about the only guy who commands any real attention and he has questionable hands and it appears the only route he is really adept at running is the streak down the sideline. Guys like Bobby Wade, Aundrae Allison, and Sidney Rice don't scare anyone and teams do not feel the need to pay any real attention to them when they are on the field.

The thing with Vick is since he has been out of football for a couple of years nobody really knows what he has left and you would basically be starting from scratch with him since he will have to learn an offense all over again whatever team he goes to. On top of that there is no guarantee that whoever is interested wants him as a QB. There has been a lot of talk about teams maybe wanting him as a gimmick player to come in and take snaps in a wildcat formation or converting him to running back or receiver altogether.

I think someone will eventually take a chance on him but it may not be until after camps open and teams start getting a true sense for what they have or someone loses a key offensive player and likes Vick's potential playmaking ability in some capacity for their team. That is, of course, assuming Goodell re-instates him to the league this summer. All of this debate about where he ends up is rather moot until then. Who is going to offer him a deal prior to being re-instated?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #11
Anthony

As much as I have eviscerated him over the years, did Donovan McNabb face this kind of disrespect in the early 2000s? And in 2003 he had the worst receivers any NFL quarterback since World War II has been stuck with.

Tarvaris Jackson is horrible - and Trent Edwards isn't a whole lot better.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I never said Jackson or Edwards were anything special just that I don't think Vick necessarily gives the Vikings a significant upgrade at the position. Vick's career completion percentage is 53.8. Jackson and Edwards at least have shown they can hit 60% of their passes.

Vick is not a good quarterback, he never has been, he is just an amazing athlete and entertaining football player with a rocket arm. He has a million dollar arm only he has no idea where the ball is going.

Although it could be good TV if he went to Buffalo. Watching TO lay into him or roll him under the bus the first game where he airmails two or three passes over his head.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I never said Jackson or Edwards were anything special just that I don't think Vick necessarily gives the Vikings a significant upgrade at the position. Vick's career completion percentage is 53.8. Jackson and Edwards at least have shown they can hit 60% of their passes.

With everybody keying on the run and daring us to pass, you or I could complete 60% in Minnesota or Buffalo.

Quote:
Vick is not a good quarterback, he never has been, he is just an amazing athlete and entertaining football player with a rocket arm. He has a million dollar arm only he has no idea where the ball is going.

Vick would still give defenses something else to worry about besides the running back.

Quote:
Although it could be good TV if he went to Buffalo. Watching TO lay into him or roll him under the bus the first game where he airmails two or three passes over his head.

Since we're talking about Michael Vick here, the passes are more likely to hit the ground in front of T.O.'s feet than be airmailed over his head - or get batted down at the line of scrimmage.