Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 10-29-2001, 09:50 AM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default East Sucks!

I was watching the 2nd intermission on HNIC on Saturday Night which made me think about this some more..... I think everyone knew that the Eastern Conference was a weak conference, but I didn't know they were THIS weak!!!!

For starters, the Pens' Straka and Kovalev have had injury problems to start this season, and now they just got word that their owner, captain, and star player, Mario Lemieux will be out a few weeks due to a nagging hip injury!

In 'Jersey, the Devs haven't replaced Alexander Mogilny, and have been hurt because of it... they haven't regained the form we've come to know (but not love ) the past two years when they were Stanley Cup champs in 2000, and Stanley Cup finalists in 2001.

Besides the Islanders, the Maple Leafs are the best team from the East -- they, the Hurricanes, Bruins, and Sabres are tied for 6th in the league with the struggling Avs of the Western Conference, but it's unlikely that those 4 Eastern Conference teams will keep it up all year.. the Sabres have no star goalie anymore, the Bruins don't have the 3rd best scorer in the NHL any more, and the Hurricanes have a goalie that plays 72 games plus playoffs that just can't do it all!

Ottawa sucks. They can't win a game at home and again can't decide who their #1 goalie is.

Of the top 12 NHL teams (that is, the top 10 NHL teams PLUS ties), 7 are from the West.

The Islanders, meanwhile, are the top team in the NHL, and still the only unbeaten team in the NHL... they are tied with Detroit and Calgary for top spot with 18 points, but both the Wings and Flames have played more games than the Isles.

Since (and including) 1996, 5 of the 6 Stanley Cup Championship teams have been from the West, and it looks to be 6 out of 7 after this season.

Agree?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 05:22 PM   #2
mteeter
Grizzled Veteran

mteeter is on a distinguished road

Have to say I agree with that, at least for this year. Everybody but the Isles are hurting, and the reason the Islanders are doing so well is because they stacked their team.

Maple Leafs one of the best teams in the East? Sad but true.

And Ottawa - they seem to be repeating history. Last year and early this year Lalime was their number 1 goalie. He starts out cold this season, so they stick Hurme in. Hurme does well, and now they're back into the rotating goalie mess. I wish they'd just pick one guy! Plus their offense is weak this year without Yashin. They didn't replace him at all. Sure they got Spezza out of it but he won't be ready for at least a year. Planning for the future they say. Well someday they have to stop looking to the future and look at the present!

But it's only the beginning of the season, things can change.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:13 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by mteeter
And Ottawa - they seem to be repeating history. Last year and early this year Lalime was their number 1 goalie. He starts out cold this season, so they stick Hurme in. Hurme does well, and now they're back into the rotating goalie mess. I wish they'd just pick one guy! Plus their offense is weak this year without Yashin. They didn't replace him at all. Sure they got Spezza out of it but he won't be ready for at least a year. Planning for the future they say. Well someday they have to stop looking to the future and look at the present!
No kidding (about repeating history, goalie situation)!!!..... And plus, remember 1998 when they had both Tugger and Rhodes??.... then lost BOTH to expansion??.... I mean, the TWO "starting" goalie system just does not work in the NHL, espeically when the Sens tried it in the playoffs with Rhodes & Tugnutt. They need a guy to stick to and have confidence in. I say, ride it out with Lalime.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:05 PM   #4
rezag
Grizzled Veteran

rezag is on a distinguished road

Colorado haven't had a good start (by their standards) in the west but no question the west is going to keep the cup.
rezag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 10:17 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Give my Devils time, they'll come around. I think people should give the East a chance - surprises happen. Who would have thought teams like the Islanders would be respectable?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 03:33 PM   #6
J_Sinclair
Grizzled Veteran

J_Sinclair is on a distinguished road

overall the east is better then the west, the west has a lot of great teams but they have a lot of bad teams. overall the east has better players, but the reason west teams are better is because in the east they play a different style of hockey which leads to more injures and more GOOD players on the injured list
J_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 05:18 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Well, since last posting, the Devils have on 6 of their last 7 games, but that 1 loss came last night when they faced the Boston Bruins and their coach up to late March of the year 2000, Robbie Ftorek (sp?), who they fired, only to go on and win the Cup with Larry Robinson.