Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: What Should be Done with Bobby Cox?
Fire him 1 14.29%
Move to front office 3 42.86%
Make him walk a treadmill 2 28.57%
Make him an Announcer for Foxsports 0 0%
Spot on Best Damn Sports Show 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2002, 11:17 AM   #16
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I think Bobby Higginson would be a good aquistion, but the bottom line is the Braves won't go or win the WS this year. I don't care if they had Barry Bonds and Lance Berkman lol
Old 04-25-2002, 11:20 AM   #17
TheWittyOne
Grizzled Veteran

TheWittyOne is on a distinguished road

I would re-sign Maddux and Glavine. Both are reliable, consistent, and neither has much problem with injuries. I would not worry about age the way Johnson, Schilling, and Clemens are going. They could both go strong for another three years or more. Surhoff is still a decent (not good, but usefull) player, but Franco is just about finished.
As for Jacque Jones his price will climb and the Twins will likely trade him to get prospects. The Braves are an older club and need to keep their prospects. Higginson is interesting, but may command a sizable salary. I like Dmitri Young, but the last thing the Braves need is another guy who cannot run well. Robert Fick would be good if he could actually play a position. Maddux and Glavine rely on the defense to make plays.
As for the current Braves Chipper looks fairly decent in left, but left fielders are much easier to find than thirdbasemen so moving him back will probably be necessary sometime. DeRosa is an excellent back-up middle infielder. I have not seen enough of him to judge how well he plays defense though. Marquis and Moss both look good, and Millwood looks like he is making progress. They really just need some guys to play little ball.

Last edited by TheWittyOne; 04-30-2002 at 02:19 PM.
TheWittyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 04:25 PM   #18
pffriberg
Grizzled Veteran

pffriberg is on a distinguished road

Higgy is already paid too much ($10mil I think...). See what I write for Monday's column...

I've decided that this will be my topic...