Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 08-06-2002, 12:11 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Instant reply makes its way into the NBA

Quote:
NBA approves use of instant replay

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0729/1411497.html

NEW YORK -- The NBA approved the use of instant replay Monday, just months after several controversial last-second calls in the playoffs.

Beginning with the 2002-03 preseason, referees will automatically review any shot that goes in with no time left on the clock in any quarter or overtime. They will also be able to use video to determine if a player had his foot on the 3-point line or out-of-bounds line.

Recommended by the league's Competition Committee last month, the NBA's Board of Governors approved the move last week.
Amen, I'm glad this finally happened. By the way, that buzzer-beating Baron shot against Orlando in the playoffs would have counted if instant reply was in place. This will prevent anymore stupid things from happening that determine the outcome of games.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:00 PM   #2
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

One word, Finally! We really needed this, and yes Marc Baron's shot should have counted. There was a good 0.4 seconds on the clock when the shot was realesed.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 09:13 PM   #3
kevingrt
Sports Enthusiast

kevingrt is on a distinguished road

I love the idea of a instant replay in the NBA, I just hope they don't "overuse" it if you know what I mean. There were at least 5 games this year where the final of the game would have been changed if there was instant replay, most notably Baron Davis' 3-pointer before the buzzer. I love the idea of an instant replay and just hope it determines who the real winner of the game is...
kevingrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 09:53 PM   #4
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Three occurrances happened in last season's playoffs in which a shot could have been counted or discounted in a buzzer beater situation. Baron Davis's shot has already been mentioned, but in game 5 of the Nets vs. Pacer's series...Miller hit a shot after the buzzer went off to send the game into overtime. Also Samaki Walker hit a shot in the Laker vs. Kings series right before halftime and should not have counted!

Joey
Old 08-12-2002, 06:21 PM   #5
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Another one not mentioned was in the Detroit Vs. Boston series where Jerry Stackhouse's shot for three should have counted but they waived it off. It had just left his hands as the horn sounded off.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 07:15 PM   #6
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

YEAH!! Thats what we need... instant replay. Sorry guys but I'm totally against ANY FORM of instant replay.

If the ref makes a mistake.... then too bad... its called human error and its part of the game.

I will probabaly be alone in this one... but thats just the way I feel about it

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 10:23 AM   #7
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

Fine... your opinion.

I think instant replay is important to basketball. We need this so we can cut the crap, notice everything, and have commentators question calls (Well, Bob, he barely touched him, I don't think that's a foul...)
Old 09-16-2002, 08:27 AM   #8
onetwo88
Sports Enthusiast

onetwo88 is on a distinguished road

good, and now they should also let officials look at instnat replay if they choose to, it would slow the game so they should only do it when it really matters, this in addition to the new rule about the end of games
onetwo88 is offline   Reply With Quote