Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 04-20-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road
Default Atlantic Coast Conference expanding to Big East?

Quote:
Posted on Sat, Apr. 19, 2003

UM denies talks with ACC
Report: League is set to expand
BY MIKE PHILLIPS
[email protected]

Is the University of Miami headed for the Atlantic Coast Conference?

UM athletic director Paul Dee says no -- at least for now.

Rumors about the ACC expanding to 12 teams and targeting teams from the Big East picked up steam Friday when The New York Daily News quoted Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese as saying the ACC has approached four Big East schools -- Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech and Boston College.

Dee said Friday night there's always talk about the ACC expanding and added Big East teams are always the target, but said UM hasn't been approached.

''There's always talk, off and on,'' Dee said.

``We have never really been approached by them. It's all speculation. It's all what-ifs. No one has ever offered us an invitation to the ACC.''

Dee said he was still in the dark about the rumors, but added that the writer for the Daily News -- Dick Weiss -- was credible.

Weiss quoted Tranghese as saying: ``They [ACC] have already made two presentations to the University of Miami -- and have been turned down -- but they have continued to come back, hoping to get the right answer. They've gone to Syracuse, Virginia Tech and Boston College.''

Dee said: ``I haven't talked to Mike, so I don't know what was said and what wasn't said. I know Dick [Weiss]. He is one of the finest writers in the country.''

Dee said expansion in all sports has worked in the past for conferences such as the Big Ten and the Big 12 (formerly the Big Eight), and added that UM always had to be aware.

''We don't have a sign that says we're in or we're out, or a sign that says we're available,'' Dee said.

``We have to be prepared if somebody does make an invitation. You have to be ready. With all this going on, you can't be unprepared. If we were [invited], then we would take a look at the invitation.

``There are so many things to look at -- the travel, where your students come from. . . . We are not in any way actively engaged [in any talks], but we are ready.''
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:47 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, I really have no problem with the ACC expanding to a 12 team conference and landing some of those teams. I don't think it will happen, but it is obvious that it would be great for the ACC. I wonder what Dave's feelings are on this matter since his favorite team would be involved in such mix up.

Joey
Old 04-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

My response got blown up by whatever happened to the server awhile back. So, I'll review quickly:

Let Miami go, I say. But 12 teams!! Too damn big for conferences, in my mind. You should be able to fit your whole conference schedule into a 12-game schedule; preferably into a 11-game schedule with a 3-game non-conference schedule.

I think the bloating of conferences is a problem, and someone should rail against it loudly.

Meanwhile, if Miami moved to the ACC, how long before FSU accepted that perennial invitation to join the SEC? Maybe one year of losing to the Canes, and bye-bye 'Noles...

Dave
Old 04-22-2003, 12:53 PM   #4
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I definitely agree that conferences are too big now, and we have situations like last year with Ohio State and Iowa both going undefeated in conference play, yet not getting to play one another.

Some teams in these 12 teams conferences also get the easier schedule than some other teams do, whether that be that they play on the tougher side of the conference or a team just does not play a power team within their own conference.

My question would be how would the BCS align their games if all conferences ranged from 8 to 10 teams? I think they could pull it off. But also, what would the landscape of college football look like conference wise?....and obviously new conferences and new conference names would have to be formed.

Joey
Old 04-22-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I wanted to post this earlier, but too much going on at work this afternoon.

One of the sports radio stations up here made a strange move and actually discussed this topic to some degree, noting an article I haven't seen that claimed Miami would agree to move if Syracuse or Boston College went with them.

The radio show contacted the BC Ad Gene DeFilipo and talked to him about it. He claimed ignorance on most issues, but did say that if Miami were to leave BE Football, BC would entertain a move to whatever conference came calling, very much including the ACC. It was interesting to hear the AD's comments. He didn't really hedge, at all, though. He felt very comfortable saying that Big East football would be very unattractive without Miami.

Dave
Old 04-22-2003, 08:34 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

If they do decide to go forward with it, split the divisions, like the Big 12 and the SEC, w/a championship game at the end of the season. They could go North/South. That way you don't have Iowa-OSU part 2.

You play the six teams in your conference region, with 3 nonconference games and 2 more teams from the other division.

It sounds confusing as hell, but i think that could work.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:41 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Blame Penn St. for Ohio St. vs. Iowa not happening. Still can't get over how we let them in the Big Ten. Not even in the Midwest for God's sake ! In all reality though, the Big Ten would have 10 teams with everyone playing an 8 game in conference schedule ( like it was before PSU), so you skip one team a year, as oppossed to two. So it still may have been Iowa left out on Ohio State's schedule anyway, just a lesser chance of it.

Dave...
Your report is accurate, Appearantly if Miami flies the coop, BC and Syracuse would " seriously" entertain thoughts of going with them, most likely to the ACC.

This move by the ACC, to lure in Miami, and BC and Syracuse on their coat tails, is clearly motivated by the 12 team conference, with 2 divisions, so we can have a conference championship game. UGGHHHHH....I HATE THE CONFERENCE TITLE GAME, AND HERE WE GO AGAIN.

Good call on maybe FSU leaving the ACC, where they face competition as stiff as a Pop Warner League of 12 year olds. A few CONFERENCE losses to Miami, and perhaps to Syracuse and even BC, could push the Seminoles out of the National Title picture and worse yet, make it harder to get those high priced BCS Bowl invitations that they love so much. However Dave, the SEC is no slouch either. Could you see FSU leaving the ACC to go into the depleted Big East ( if it could even withstand the loss of Miami, 'Cuse, and BC)? I wouldn't put it past the gutless chickens of college football.

We can't have these super jumbo conferences, they kill rivalries and bloat the seasons. The day Ohio St. or Michigan play another Big Ten team after their annual end of the season battle is the day I check myself into the mental hospital. I would quit college football cold turkey if that happens, no doubt at all.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:00 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Hadn't thought of FSU high-tailing to the decimated Big East...

I was following the money trail, though. FSU would likely see a pretty nice windfall with a move to the SEC. The SEC has more and better bowl deals, more national TV time, and greater revenue in general by virtue of having some huge stadiums and rabid fans. The ACC, even with Miami, BC & the 'Cuse couldn't put together the $$$ prize package that the SEC would and could and continues to do every couple years.

In fact, I'll put it in bytes: IF Miami makes a deal to move to the ACC, and IF Bowden retires in the transition time before Miami's admission to the conference, the 'Noles will announce a huge name (none come to mind right now) to be their coach, and they'll move to the SEC in his second year.

Dave
Old 04-25-2003, 12:21 PM   #9
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

If the Noles move to the SEC, don't you think the SEC would have to drop a team from their conference first? Having a 13 team conference is very odd, but I am sure that anything could be worked out when money is involved.

I for one, don't want to see FSU in the SEC. One thing is for certain though, the FSU vs. Florida rivarly would mean even more than it already does if that is even possible.

I think getting rid of Vandy and bringing in FSU would be ok, but I am not sure that will ever happen.

Joey
Old 04-26-2003, 06:39 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

i don't have a problem with 12 team conferences. i agree with Mike for the most part. 12 team conferences should split 6 and you play the 5 teams from your div. 2 from the other and then 4 or 5 non-conference games. i think also the NCAA needs to scrap ND's auto bids into some bowls such as the Gator/Cotton/etc. and make them join a conference. i'm sick of ND getting special treatment for not being in a conference. they should join the Big East and be done with it.

and for PSU destroying the Big Ten: suck it up OSU fans. we got screwed going into the Big Ten because we won it in 1994 and had to play in the Rose Bowl instead of for the Nat'l Champ.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Alex, don't make me have to come after you...LOL.

I have never liked Penn St. in the Big Ten and have found it funny how people have claimed that Penn St. got screwed out of the 94 National Title. The thing is, a major reason why Penn St. joined the Big Ten was too increase their chances at winning the National Title. If memory serves me, Penn St. had finished undefeated ATLEAST TWICE in the last half century without getting a National Title or much respect because they were an independant. They joined the Big Ten in 93 I believe (?) and miss out on the National Title the within a year or two...HILARIOUS.

As a Buckeye fan, (and we have gone over this over and over and I know I am in the minority on the boards, but not within the state of Ohio, especially with the older folks) I would have MUCH rathered played Wash St. in the Rose instead of Miami in the Fiesta this past year. Even though we won, it wasn't the Rose, and there is no substitute. Winning the Rose is MUCH more important then winning the National Title Game. As always, goals are in Columbus...

1. BEAT MICHIGAN ( AT ALL COSTS !)
2. Win Big Ten
3. Go to Rose

I would suggest to Penn St. fans ( and I don't want to preach to them) to cherish the fact that you are in a truly special conference with UNARGUABLE the greatest tradition of all of college football and perhaps in all of sports ( the Rose Bowl). You also have the HONOR ( and that is exactly what it is) to play Michigan and Ohio St. each year.

This was the case until the BCS came in and really started destroying things. Now, computers, potato chips, and a guy named Sagarin are inching their way in on the history of the game...DISGUSTING.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:07 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Perhaps some good news if you're a Big East fan: http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0518/1556071.html

It's interesting to note that the Big East had much better ratings than the ACC in football, yet it's the Big East being split up.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:55 PM   #13
stevus
Grizzled Veteran

stevus is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't mind Miami and Va Tech but I think that Syracuse and Boston College is too North for the Conference. I think of the ACC being southern like the SEC.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:54 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Perhaps some good news if you're a Big East fan: http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0518/1556071.html

It's interesting to note that the Big East had much better ratings than the ACC in football, yet it's the Big East being split up.
Yes, Marc. That makes perfect sense. The ACC wants a)better ratings which leads to b)more money, the only real motivation. It's not as if someone said, hey, let's break up the Big East!! The ACC snuck around, planted stories and spoke to ADs on the sly, targeted the only viable targets to try to get them. In fact, if the ACC could have a championship game with only ten teams (NCAA by-laws require 12 in a conference to permit a CG), they would, and they would only invite Miami. They could give two craps about BC and Syracuse.

Regarding stevus' comment, I understand thinking the ACC a southern conference, but if they wanted to stay true to the name, Syracuse is the real blunder, being nowhere near the coast even sort of. BC, at least, is closer to the Atlantic Coast than Duke, UNC, NC State or Wake Forest...

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:29 PM   #15
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

'78:

how could you possibly say that playing in/winning the Rose is better than a Nat'l Championship. i guess as a PSU fan and i pretty much speak for Lion Nation when i say that a Nat'l Championship is more important than anything else in CFB and in college sports in general. i guess the Rose Bowl thing is lost on PSU here. If we had not been undefeated and not been unarguably the best team in the country (screw Nebraska) i would understand going to the Rose but the fact we were undefeated and deserved to play for the Nat'l Champs.