Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 06-14-2003, 09:44 AM   #1
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough
Default Packers Sign Smith

Quote:
Akili Smith got his first post-Cincinnati wish Friday when he accepted a one-year, $545,000 contract from the Green Bay Packers that included a $15,000 signing bonus.

Smith, trying to resurrect his career after being a first-round disappointment with the Bengals, wanted to learn under Brett Favre. Though he toyed with thoughts of signing with the New Orleans Saints, Smith decided that learning behind Favre was his best option.

Playing time wasn't as much of an issue as the organization and offense in which he could try to work on his game. His agents, Kennard McGuire and Fletcher Smith, held long talks with the quarterback during his final month with the Bengals concerning his plans if released.

Their goal focused on finding the right situation. Initially, McGuire and Fletcher suggested the Packers because of Favre and coach Mike Sherman, and also suggested the Seahawks because of Mike Holmgren's success with quarterbacks. The Seahawks had just minimal interest since Matt Hasselbeck and Trent Dilfer are their veteran quarterbacks. The club is also grooming Seneca Wallace.

The Packers were interested from the start. Smith visited the Jets, Packers and Saints and then returned to San Diego where he lives in the offseason to make a decision. Smith was 3-14 as a starter with the Bengals.
good signing. he'll make the roster and i think he will suceed Favre if he can turn his career around. this may end up being the biggest signing for the Packers in years.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'm pessimistic about this, but hope it works out. Who knows, he might have had no chance to succeed in lowly Cincinnati, and here, he gets to learn from one of the best, Brett Favre.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

MARC: As you pointed out in a couple of other threads, sometimes all a guy needs is a change of scenery. As bad as Smith was, guys like Bradshaw and other were cover-your-eyes bad in their first few years, and now Smith is learning from the best.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 03:21 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

There were a lot of concerns about Smith before the 1999 draft. First off, he only played two years at Oregon, and his first season, in 1997, was hardly earth-shattering; plus there was the legal trouble, involving drunk driving and domestic violence, he was mixed up in. Still, it obviously wasn't his Joe Millionaire good looks that got him picked third overall, so there must be some talent there for Mike Sherman to work with - and it must be confessed that Smith won't have to be much to beat out Doug Pederson for the #2 job in Green Bay.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Akili finally is out of that Bengals Plague! I see him being the next Favre within two years when Favre retires.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 04:10 PM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Ehhhhh, I don't know about that....

I didn't get to see him in college, was he just one of those do it all quarterbacks? Fast, accurate, strong arm, mobile?
Old 06-15-2003, 08:43 PM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Smith, was a one year wonder in college at Oregon. I got to see him play twice, and I saw him play against Colorado in the Hula/Aloha Bowl....whatever they call it now days. Oregon was down by a ton, and Smith led them back with some great passes. That game in itself was freaking awesome. I must say I was impressed with his performance that day, and I had no problem with him being drafted in the first round. Since then, well we know the story.

Guys who have played behind Favre and turned out pretty decent...

Aaron Brooks
Mark Brunell
Kurt Warner

So, Akili is not a complete wash yet.

Joey
Old 06-16-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Marc and Packers fans everywhere... Don't forget that Craig Nall, #3 in Green Bay, tore it up in NFL Europe this past spring. He led the league in yardage, touchdowns, and passer rating while playing for Scotland.

Dave
Old 06-16-2003, 05:57 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Marc and Packers fans everywhere... Don't forget that Craig Nall, #3 in Green Bay, tore it up in NFL Europe this past spring. He led the league in yardage, touchdowns, and passer rating while playing for Scotland.

Dave
Yes, I was actually just about to mention him, you read my mind. My prediction is it will go Nall, Smith, Pederson behind Favre. Pederson is experienced and is a friend of Favre, so he isn't going anywhere.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:41 PM   #10
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

You guys cannot POSSIBLY be serious. Akili Smith is Ryan Leaf....it matters not where he is.

You Cheeseheads better pray for two things:

1) That Favre continues to be an Ironman
2) That they sign somebody else before favre retires.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:50 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

Dave
Nall impressed me with his NFLE performance and if Akili doesn't work out he could be a good fall back but i just don't think he will be a successful NFL QB. we are talking about NFL Europe, lots of guys tear it up and can't make it in the NFL.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:42 PM   #12
Dboating
Rookie Player

Dboating is on a distinguished road

I like the pick up. Low risk-high reward. Remember they tried the same thing with David Klingler a few years ago.
Dboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 09:03 PM   #13
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Yeah...and did THAT ever pay off for them......
Old 06-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #14
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Living on the SANE side of the St. Croix, I can't believe that Packer fans are giddy over the pick-up of Akili freaking Smith and the talents of some no-count practice squad QB who *GASP* tore sh*t up in NFLE.....LMAO....

BTW...don't take those comments personally, Cheeseheads. It's my solumn vow as a Viking fan to hate the Packers and everything associated with them, as I'm sure it is with you guys and the Vikes and Bears. All in good fun.....
Old 06-17-2003, 10:03 PM   #15
Dboating
Rookie Player

Dboating is on a distinguished road

All I meant by the Klingler comment was they have tried this before sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I don't think anyone is "giddy"! By the way Purple, you are also on the side of St. Croix that has empty trophy cases.

Last edited by Dboating; 06-18-2003 at 05:00 PM.
Dboating is offline   Reply With Quote