Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-02-2003, 12:45 AM   #16
SouthLink02
Grizzled Veteran

SouthLink02 is on a distinguished road

It wouldnt surprise me if UT or UGA wins the East. OLine isnt as bad as most think but RB's are iffy. UT's Clausen is over-rated but team is still good. UF doesnt have a chance to win East...
Old 07-02-2003, 01:03 AM   #17
Tom Rathman
Grizzled Veteran

Tom Rathman is on a distinguished road

Georgia will be solid.

Who is going to start SouthLink? Greene or Shockley????
Old 07-02-2003, 01:09 AM   #18
SouthLink02
Grizzled Veteran

Greene WILL start and play the majority if not all of the games. People don't realize that when Richt says Shockley will play, he is talking on 3rd downs and close or maybe 4th downs or even when Greene is struggling big time.

Shockley cant transer now so he is ours to keep.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:12 AM   #19
Tom Rathman
Grizzled Veteran

Tom Rathman is on a distinguished road

Nice luxury to have since they are both very good qb's.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:32 AM   #20
SouthLink02
Grizzled Veteran

I agree...I like them both...
Old 07-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #21
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthLink02
I agree...I like them both...
Finally, another bulldog fan. Watch out Joey, we'll be ganging up on you before you know it.

As for Shockley, I am not a big fan of his. I would like to see him and Green on the field at the same time this year, maybe w/Shockley playing at WR.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 12:14 PM   #22
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Mike, I like a little challenge, so I am looking forward to talking college football with all you UGA fans. The more Bulldog fans the better, because now I can have bragging rights over a couple of UGA fans on the boards.

You gotta love Southlink's comments about the Gators having absolutely no chance to win the East. Now I will agree the Gators should not win the East, but lets not count out the team that has beaten UGA 11 out of the last 12 years....not to mention ruined your perfect season a year ago.

Florida just about won the SEC East with a very sub par team a season ago. A team that lost to Ole Miss on the road, and a team that was blown out twice in the swamp. I still can't believe Auburn let UGA throw a bomb to get down the field, and then complete a 4th and 15 for the touchdown to win it. Auburn killed the chances for a not so good Gator team to ONCE AGAIN win the East.

Florida avoids a tough Auburn this year, plays UT at home, plays UGA on a neutral field where they have owned them of late, so it is not out of the realm of possibility for the Gators to make a run for the East crown. Like I said doubtful, but please do not count them out.

Joey
Old 07-02-2003, 12:57 PM   #23
SouthLink02
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by I OWN THIS
Mike, I like a little challenge, so I am looking forward to talking college football with all you UGA fans. The more Bulldog fans the better, because now I can have bragging rights over a couple of UGA fans on the boards.

You gotta love Southlink's comments about the Gators having absolutely no chance to win the East. Now I will agree the Gators should not win the East, but lets not count out the team that has beaten UGA 11 out of the last 12 years....not to mention ruined your perfect season a year ago.

Florida just about won the SEC East with a very sub par team a season ago. A team that lost to Ole Miss on the road, and a team that was blown out twice in the swamp. I still can't believe Auburn let UGA throw a bomb to get down the field, and then complete a 4th and 15 for the touchdown to win it. Auburn killed the chances for a not so good Gator team to ONCE AGAIN win the East.

Florida avoids a tough Auburn this year, plays UT at home, plays UGA on a neutral field where they have owned them of late, so it is not out of the realm of possibility for the Gators to make a run for the East crown. Like I said doubtful, but please do not count them out.

Joey
Just because UF has won 11 of the last 12 makes no difference whatsoever in my opinion of what they will do. I don't have this hatred for the team or the university. Even UF fans that I talk to even agree that UF has ZERO shot to win the East this year. They have a QB who has basically NO experience, a new #1 WR (though they will flaunt about their new Freshman - Jackson, ext...) and a somewhat proven RB.

Their defense returns only 4 starters, 2 secondary people and their leading Defensive tackler had barely 1-2 sacks last year and a small amount of tackles. They will struggle whether they want to admit it or not. Even with Strong at the helm, his defense will struggle

To run Strong's 3-4 D you need a big bad ass DT (ie. Moore from USC last year) to clog up the middle which allows the 4 to 5 LB's make all the plays. Strong's zone D is mostly zone blitzes where any of the 4 to 5 LB and/or Safteys/ CB's can and will rush the passer at anytime. Most of the time a DL or LB will drop back to cover a WR or TE the key is whether or not your QB cane find the open man or mismatch before the D gets to you. QB's that can not handle pressure don't do very good (see UGA vs. USC 2000).

The big weakness to the 3-4 is that it is hard to stop the running game unless your DT is a bad ass. Ole Miss has been running a 3-5-3 D the last few years, much like Strong's D, b/c they had no DL's. It works good on passing teams (see last year's ole miss/uf game) but they could not stop the run UGA and Alburn....

UF D will be somewhere between the Strong's D from USC the last few years and the OLe Miss D from the last few years...

Last edited by SouthLink02; 07-02-2003 at 01:04 PM.
SouthLink02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #24
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Obviously Florida has tons of weaknesses, there is no questioning that, but what makes UGA or UT leaps and bounds better than Florida this season?

I think every team in the SEC East has their share of weaknesses and question marks. I really don't forsee a dominate team in the SEC East, therefore, leaving the door open for a Florida to snag the East. Like I said previously, Florida also has the advantage of not playing an Auburn team, something UGA and UT both have to do. Florida has their toughest SEC East games either in the swamp or at a neutral location.

Nothing is set in stone for the SEC East this year from where I see it, except for Vanderbilt.

Joey
Old 07-02-2003, 02:22 PM   #25
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

lol. You can always count on Vandy!

Neutral site? what neutral site? Do you mean that Fla. home game in Jacksonville every year?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:26 PM   #26
SouthLink02
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by I OWN THIS
Obviously Florida has tons of weaknesses, there is no questioning that, but what makes UGA or UT leaps and bounds better than Florida this season?
Every team has weaknesses but Florida's overweigh both UT and UGA, pretty heavily in my mind. UGA's OL has been the question mark but unlike what many other pub's say, they aren't replacing all 5. In fact, 3 of them started almost half the games, if not more AND that is when the O-Line was much better. The beginning of the year was horrible and thats when all 5 seniors started. The RB issue is a question mark and I don't deny that. I do believe that Richt will establish a running game with either Milton, Lumpkin, or Cooper.

UT returns Clausen, who IMO is over-rated, but still one of the best QB's in the SEC. They return a somewhat injury prone defense but I think if they can get their RB to work, they will lead the SEC over Auburn.

Like I said, UF needs to replace a good bit of their vital offense and almost all of their defense. Thats a HELL of a lot to suddenly replace.

Last edited by SouthLink02; 07-02-2003 at 02:39 PM.
SouthLink02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #27
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

The East definately is not the stronger of the 2 divisions this year. The top 3 teams are all suffering from the loss of key players. And not just 1 or 2 players leaving, but several.

It will be a lot of fun watching the East this year, and while I hope UGA can pull it off, as of right now (like i have said before Joey) I think UT will edge them out.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:54 PM   #28
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Greene is definitely a solid QB. I have yet to surrendur to the hype machine behind Shockley. Since Vick, it seems, every QB with a set of feet and the potential of an arm gets hyped out of this world, when in reality, there's no reason to believe he is what they say he is.

I think it's a mistake to split the duties, but if it works for Georgia, more power to them. Of course, it's nice to have a backup you believe in, but I want to see the farm before I buy the beef.

Dave
Old 07-02-2003, 03:15 PM   #29
SouthLink02
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
but I want to see the farm before I buy the beef.
Start cooking!!! :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:
Old 07-02-2003, 04:46 PM   #30
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Mike, we have agreed before on UT winning the East. I still stick to my guns on that for now, but I might change my mind come August....lol.

Southlink, your right man, Florida is replacing more positions than UT and UGA. UGA and UT should beat Florida, for I won't deny that, but it is not a closed case that both will beat Florida. All I heard last year, after Miami spanked UF, was how Florida was going to get murdered by UT. Then I also remember a undefeated Georgia team was suppossed to give Florida a good beating as well. Remembering last year, Florida went on to beat both of those teams in surprising fashion. I know that was last year, and last year was the past, but that is a decent example of what could happen down the road.

If I had to rank the SEC East right now it would go like this....

1. UT
2. UGA
3. Florida
4. South Carolina
5. UK
6. Vandy

If Florida does have a strength, it would be that they are bringing back all 5 starters on the offensive line. Florida's offensive line was horrid last season, so maybe that is not a big of a strength as it may seem. There is no question that we will find out how good of a coach Ron Zook is this year, because the talent level and experience is down at UF.

Joey