Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 08-06-2003, 05:42 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Idiot Mass. School Superintendent Fails Test

Quote:
LAWRENCE, Mass. - This city's superintendent of schools, who recently put two dozen teachers on unpaid leave for failing a basic English proficiency test, has himself flunked a required literacy test three times.

Wilfredo T. Laboy called his failing scores "frustrating" and "emotional." He blamed his performance on a lack of preparation and concentration, as well as the fact that that Spanish is his first language.

"It bothers me because I'm trying to understand the congruence of what I do here every day and this stupid test," Laboy told The Eagle-Tribune of Lawrence in a story published Sunday.

"What brought me down was the rules of grammar and punctuation," Laboy said. "English being a second language for me, I didn't do well in writing. If you're not an English teacher, you don't look at the rules on a regular basis."
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...intendent_test

Maybe he should be in class along with the students. This is really pathetic ... a grown man in a position of power in the teaching field can't even pass a basic test. Just sad...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Marc...

Despite me being poor in the area of English and grammer ( we've all seen a few errors in my posts, haven't we?...LOL), I've even passed the basic English test given to seniors in high school !

When I was still teaching, I often took the state proficiency test for the hell of it when I had to give it to my kids. I passed English, but will admit to getting only around an 80% a few years, kind of low for a teacher huh?...LOL. I used to score around 95% for math and around 90% for the science part. In my defense, I regularly got a perfect score on the history part ( about 200 questions), but then again, I was a history teacher !
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I'm in Math and Computer Science but I know for sure I could pass a "basic literacy test."

....not sure some of my 'ol high school classmates could, though. There are a lot of idiots out there.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:54 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Actually Lee, it was a basic English proficiency test. Some of them can be somewhat challenging, but there is no excuse not to pass it for a man in his position.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:58 PM   #5
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

I feel its a bit hipocritical to put those teachers on leave for not passing a test he himself could not pass.

I think there is a saying about not throwing a stone in a glass house. But I dont know what that means so i doubt the saying even has anything to do with this story.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

That's just plain embarassing, for him especially. Oh well, there are idiots in this world.