Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-23-2003, 07:26 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default MAC vs. ACC

Here's the tale of the tape in comparing the MAC and the ACC. Since the MAC doesn't get an automatic BCS bid like the ACC does, I'd thought I'd throw this out there to see if the MAC is worthy of one.

Total number of games played against BCS teams this season thus far...

MAC........22 ( 14 member conference)
ACC........11 ( 8 member conference)

Total number of games that will be played against BCS teams at season's end...

MAC........27 ( 14 member conference)
ACC........19 ( 8 member conference)

Home games to road games to be played against BCS teams...

MAC........7 home, 20 road
ACC........11 home, 8 road

Head to head, MAC vs. ACC...

3 games total, only 1 game has taken place already....

N. Illinois defeated Maryland in Dekalb.
Maryland at E. Michigan later this year
Virginia at W. Michigan later this year

Currently, the MAC leads 1-0 head to head against ACC.

Current record against BCS competition...

MAC.......6-16...winning percentage= 38%
ACC.......4-7.....winning percentage= 43%

Current home record vs BCS competition...

MAC.......2-2...winning percentage= 50%
ACC.......3-3...winning percentage= 50%

Number of teams played against who were top 25 when game took place ( AND WERE ALSO BCS TEAMS)

MAC.....15 out of 22 teams, 68% ( includes Bama on probation)
ACC.....5 out of 11 teams, 46%

Common BCS opponents...

Northwestern beats Duke
Miami (Oh) beats Northwestern...adv. MAC

Ohio State beats NC St.
Ohio State beats BGSU...draw, both games close though

Wisconsin beats Akron
Wisconsin beats N.C....draw

BGSU beats Purdue
Purdue beats Wake Forrest...adv. MAC

MAC WINS 2-0 here with 2 draws.

Wins against top 10 teams ( when ranked 10 or higher at game time)...

MAC...2
ACC...0

These are just a few examples in this comparison. By the stats above, can someone tell me why the ACC gets an automatic bid and the MAC doesn't?....( cough Florida State)
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

FSU would destroy anybody from the MAC, for starters. Second, they have been in a BCS bowl every year of it's existance, including the BCS title game the first three years of it's existance.

Thirdly, ask the NCAA, not anyone here.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:21 PM   #3
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

In it's simplist form the answer is....$$$$$$$$.

Ya really think the world would stop and watch the Suger Bowl between Oklahoma and Northern Illinois?

The MAC has some nice wins, but they need to consistantly, year after year, beat teams in the BCS conferences. And do it to a point where people won't say that NIU or whoever is the ***** when they beat Maryland.........then say Maryland is crap when FSU beats them.

It takes away from NIU when the team(s) they beat are only good when THEY beat them, but suck when OTHER teams beat the same team.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:20 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

78--

Virginia kicked the crap out of Western Michigan last week. 59-16. (Sept 13)

Maryland will destroy Eastern Michigan. EMU is one of the teams I'd dump immediately from the ranks of Division 1-A. They lost to... Western Illinois. Who killed them. EMU will not fair well.

While not being terribly eloquent, Purple does raise the specter of consistent play. And while we can point to NIU being rather consistent in winning seasons over the last several years, who, beyond this year's stunners over Maryland and Bama, and a near-miss last year with Wisconsin, have they beaten? They can't even win their conference...

Comparing the MAC to the ACC after the best weekend in MAC history is a little like believing in Santa Claus because you met someone NAMED Santa Claus. Just cuz there's a "Santa" doesn't mean he brings gifts...

Questioning the position of the ACC getting an automatic BCS bid on its face is a question worth asking. Won't debate that with you at all. But, really, Purple is unfortunately spot on by noting that FSU rips 12 of 14 MAC teams apart on any given Saturday. The other two they may struggle with away from home, in an off year, but ultimately, the ACC is the generally stronger conference.

And this all changes next season. With Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, NC State, and the rotation trio of Georgia Tech/Maryland/Virginia, the ACC will dispel many of the accusations of overall weakness.

Dave
Old 09-24-2003, 02:50 PM   #5
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Amazing, Dave, how you find a way to agree with me and yet still savage me in the same post.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:07 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

It's a talent I've developed just for you, Purple...

Where were you last week? Missed bothering you about the tightness of that Ga Tech game...

Dave
Old 09-25-2003, 01:17 AM   #7
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Trust me, I was dreading that. Luckily they pulled it out. I had a police seminar for a week in Miami, and then we moved into a new house. MSN takes their sweet *****in time re-establishing your service when you move!:redhot:
Old 09-25-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Ah. Well, congrats on the new house, and on the come from behind win over Ga Tech.

Of note is the fact that the Yellow Jackets got completely pounded this past week by Clemson, who I'd personally given up on. GT couldn't run for anything, and Ball... appears he wasn't particularly sharp, going a spartan 19-42...

Dave
Old 09-25-2003, 07:05 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

And since the Chiefs could beat anyone in the AFC North a million times by 3 to 4 TD's, I think that division shouldn't get playoff spots...that's the same logic you've presented here.

In yesterday's USA Today, there was an article about how as many as 12 MAC teams could lose division I-A status based on new guidelines set down by the NCAA in November 2001. This was MOSTLY done to eliminate the I-AA hoppers who move up for the quick cash, only to fail to compete but every 3 or 4 years when it's squad is senior laden. This is something I like in theory, and you too Dave from what I recall. Curbing the get rich quick I-AA teams who jump, however EXISTING I-A teams may get the boot too like Kent.

This to me is horrendous. It is punishing long time ( check the books, the MAC is a tradition rich conference despite not having greedy suits on their side like in Tallahasse) division I-A teams who cannot GET the NCAA the amount of money they want. Sure Kent can't draw but 8 to 9 grand a game, however, the university survives through other endeavors ( it's called being a REAL school, where other sports and other notions such as academics are the norm) and doesn't need any assistance from the NCAA. And like the Kent rep said in the article, why should we spend money on getting our attendance up to maintain status? We need that money for other stuff- translation, we are a real school, who actually isn't in ESPN's and the NCAA's back pocket and hungry for payouts.

A combination of greed and FEAR of a rise from the minor conferences ( I honestly believe the WAC was the the minor in mind when fear of the day they could be equal on the field to a BCS conference instead of the MAC) is the subplot to this new ruling. I think it stinks.

And Dave, if banishing teams to I-AA status is a good idea to you, why can't we bump conferences from BCS automatic bid to non-automatic too in the same year? Sounds fair to me. Oh wait, that would mean someone in the ACC would have to win a game besides FSU. And the " right" people wouldn't get their dough.

Also Dave, what saves the Big East next year when they will almost CERTAINTLY be a weaker conference then the MAC from not getting their automatic BCS bid? After the depletion is complete, the Big East next year will make the ACC of this year look like a league of 1980s 49ers teams.

Isn't Tranghese the Commish of the Big East and the BCS right now?

Ah, gotta love money over justice.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:22 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
And since the Chiefs could beat anyone in the AFC North a million times by 3 to 4 TD's, I think that division shouldn't get playoff spots...that's the same logic you've presented here.
Uhh... no I didn't. First off, asserting that KC could do that doesn't make it so. Secondly, you chided me a while back for making a NCAA-NFL comparison, so I feel compelled to fire back the same admonition. Totally different systems. Totally different goals. At least when I compared the two, the gridiron was involved, and made sense, at least to me. This line strikes me as coming from Aggravated 78, who's looking for a fight.

Quote:
In yesterday's USA Today, there was an article about how as many as 12 MAC teams could lose division I-A status based on new guidelines set down by the NCAA in November 2001. This was MOSTLY done to eliminate the I-AA hoppers who move up for the quick cash, only to fail to compete but every 3 or 4 years when it's squad is senior laden. This is something I like in theory, and you too Dave from what I recall. Curbing the get rich quick I-AA teams who jump, however EXISTING I-A teams may get the boot too like Kent.

This to me is horrendous. It is punishing long time ( check the books, the MAC is a tradition rich conference despite not having greedy suits on their side like in Tallahasse) division I-A teams who cannot GET the NCAA the amount of money they want. Sure Kent can't draw but 8 to 9 grand a game, however, the university survives through other endeavors ( it's called being a REAL school, where other sports and other notions such as academics are the norm) and doesn't need any assistance from the NCAA. And like the Kent rep said in the article, why should we spend money on getting our attendance up to maintain status? We need that money for other stuff- translation, we are a real school, who actually isn't in ESPN's and the NCAA's back pocket and hungry for payouts.
If indeed it's a fight you're looking for, you won't find one from me here. However, I do think it's fair to make two notes, in reverse importance.
1. The "ungreedy, not-in-ESPN's-back-pocket" MAC conference signed a deal with ESPN that will double the MAC's television appearances. Also, the righteous MAC seeks another bowl tie-in.
2. Your repeated attacks on schools from Florida is growing old and tired and wearing very thin. You assert that the Big Ten and MAC have "tradition" and are "REAL schools," unfairly and fairly hypocritically blasting Florida, FSU, Miami, and others that might fit the mold. Where's your outrage against Oklahoma, 78? Nebraska? FSU and Miami aren't any more satanic a mover against your (and to some extent my own) beliefs regarding the sanctity of college football than OU, Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan State, Washington, Texas, North Texas, Cincinnati, or Louisville.
Decry the Florida schools as you will. But, let's not play this game with blinders on. FSU and Miami are not powerful enough to have affected the changes alone. Indeed, Miami and FSU needed conferences, and really, only bought into the pile of dough being sold by the SEC, but couldn't find their ways into that superconference. So, they created their own ways. One of those ways was to sacrifice academic integrity. They are neither alone, nor significantly different in this way from the likes of Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Ohio State, and Marshall.

The models of academic greatness combined with gridiron consistency are few, but also plainly absorbed with the finances, as well. (Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, USC each are members of a BCS conference, or in ND's case, a BCS conference unto itself. In fact, where are your self-righteous attacks on the Irish, who have THEIR OWN TV contract?? Notre Dame is what every college in the highest power rankings aspires to be. Completely self-sufficient, a consistent top 25 team, and academically, one of the great schools in the land.)

Quote:
And Dave, if banishing teams to I-AA status is a good idea to you, why can't we bump conferences from BCS automatic bid to non-automatic too in the same year? Sounds fair to me. Oh wait, that would mean someone in the ACC would have to win a game besides FSU. And the " right" people wouldn't get their dough.
I'm not opposed to such an idea. You've taken great pains to paint me as some BCS apologist when you know better. I'm quite confused by the whole matter, really.

As you know, I think the Little Five conferences' being shut out of competition for the big dollars is an abomination, and detrimental to the integrity of the game. But, one of the problems that face the Little Five is that, in general, year-to-year, they don't compete with the Big 6. Sure, they've had some programs develop into real BCS-busters, like Colorado State, but the vast majority of the schools in the Little Five couldn't stand toe-to-toe with the likes of Ohio State (or at least, they aren't supposed to), Florida State, or Oklahoma.

Let's take a look at the MAC, a football conference filled with "tradition," as a fer-instance. This conference has FOURTEEN members. Of those, SIX have been members from inception. (One other was a member at inception, but departed after 10 years, and only recently rejoined after 25 years of rebuilding a program decimated by an airplane accident. Of those FOURTEEN schools, only four have had any success against bigger conferences, and most of that very recent, as in since the scholarship caps were instituted. And then, that success has been spurious and suspect at best.

What I said above, and what I'll repeat, is this: Let's not make too much of one weekend's successes. NIU, BGSU, Toledo, Marshall competed with the big boys this weekend. But, it's far more often the case that they don't.

Is it a tragedy that their chances to dance with the big boys is hurt by their success? ABSOLUTELY. I'm all for a system that brings in some change, and reduces the strict control of conferences, one that would be more fluid, one that would enforce the scheduling pacts that are signed and then unsigned when the up-and-coming programs look like a threat to the powers-that-be. I don't support the continued BCS eligibility of the Big East as a theory, but, holy moley, if they can put it together next year, WVU could play in a HUGE bowl next year. The pragmatist in me says, "That's a shame, but, Let's Go!! MOUNTAIN-EERS!!"

Quote:
Also Dave, what saves the Big East next year when they will almost CERTAINTLY be a weaker conference then the MAC from not getting their automatic BCS bid?
I don't know that that's a truism. It sounds right, until you really look at the matchups. Sure, many MAC teams could beat Temple and Rutgers, and there will be your occasional upsets, like Toledo over Pitt, but WAY more common are results like a weak Syracuse running roughshod over Central Florida. Rutgers took Buffalo to the woodshed. I expect WVU will beat UCF in October (though, narrowly, or not at all; WVU is struggling mightily behind a not-quite-together O line) Pitt beat the hell out of two MAC teams before taking Toledo too lightly. Just because you say it, doesn't make it true.

Quote:
Isn't Tranghese the Commish of the Big East and the BCS right now?

Ah, gotta love money over justice.
Conspiracies, conspiracies. Better'n that, 78, Tranghese was the commissioner of the NCAA Tournament last year, too. And, who, but a Big East team, won the Tourney. Things that make you go "hmm..."

I'm sure Tranghese faired better than he might have, but really, do you believe that the BCS Committee is going to essentially throw away one of their cigar-smoking, back-room buddies. Even if Tranghese didn't run the committee, I doubt mightily that "justice" would prevail.

Now, if Cowen from Tulane were to have a voice...

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:44 PM   #11
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Dave I agree with you 51%, (i.e., with all my head), and I wrote a similar line of thinking in my lastest column (plug, plug). But 49% of me disagrees with you (i.e., with all of my heart), and my heart's feelin' feisty and wants to be heard.

You said it's far more often the case that the MAC does not compete against the big boys. Well, of course they don't. They never have. What's happened this year is unprecendented. What the top schools in the MAC have done this year has been WILDLY successful. Best year ever for the MAC, I can confidently say without reaching for the record books. So it's either a fluke (51%) or a dawning of a new day in the MAC (49%). And it is those very scholarship caps that you cited that may mean that the MAC never again has to "settle for victories over Missouri and Clemson" again (plug plug). Otherwise, my 49% would be about 2%.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:45 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Dave...

My quick anger response was in light of your ( and Purple as well) symbolic gesture of throwing FSU out as a means to end the debate, IMO. If that's the case, I'll throw out Ohio State last year who could have beat FSU with one Krenzel and Clarett tied behind their back. That means Ohio State's dominance eliminates the ACC ( and FSU too) from last year as being a BCS conf. It makes no sense to me.

The notion that FSU ( and it is true) could hammer any MAC team is rediculous for an automatic bid for the ACC. ONE SCHOOL IS NOT A CONFERENCE...ATLEAST IN THE REAL CONFERENCES ( sorry Dave, history is on my side, and the Big Ten and Pac Ten have been easily the most competitive and balanced conferences in the last decade out of BCS automatic bidders). Something just doesn't sit well with me when you look at it that way. That kind of thinking is clearly not in the spirit of college footballs' root. Competitive conferences are the goal of football fans, not the mockery that is the ACC. The last ACC champion that wasn't FSU before the BCS was Virginia in 95 ( Tiki Barber express). That team got rewarded with a trip to the Peach Bowl. The Peach Bowl? You'd never see FSU get dealt such a fate even back then.

On the MAC and ESPN...

Well, how else can the MAC get some dough Dave? If N. Ill goes undefeated last year, we have to let the glorious FSU regime get hammered by Georgia in the Superdome, remember? The Noles get that 14 million dollar payout for beating the snot out of the academic scools ( how Wake and Duke even associate with FSU on any level has to be a slap in the face to every alum of those schools). I'm not going to put too much heat on the MAC for expansion and looking for a few deals. When your conference's teams are kicking the sh** out of the alleged " big schools" and getting a date in Detroit in mid December ( sounds like a prison sentence) for hardly any cash, then you have to do what you have too. I'll give the MAC a lot of wiggling room for their plight there.

On my Knocks of the Florida schools...

I only mentioned FSU here in this debate and have pretty much laid off of Florida. The Gators play in a real conference with high standards and have some restraint in their quest for glory. Miami and FSU are fair game. I hate Notre Dame's alliances and special treatment. Since the Big Ten schools generally kick them around ( OSU in the mid 90s twice, oh so sweet), I get my revenge on the grid iron where as FSU and Miami face no one but scared children on their way to their 14 million payout and plastic achievements. Still not condoning ND's ways, but atleast " one of my guys" goes up to them and pushes them on the ground once a year ( thanks Michigan for two weeks ago).

On the MAC vs the Big East for 2004...

Sure, not true yet Dave, but based on this year, and throwing out Miami and VT, who is " winning" so far? It's not even close IMO. What makes one a better a conf. then the other Dave? I've been using BCS wins because I'm trying to fight fire with fire here. But I'm sure under any reasonable guidelines to compare who's better, the MAC is ATLEAST holding it's own against the CURRENT Big East minus Miami and VT, which will be true next year. The MAC has a few more " Temples", big deal. The MAC also has a few more " Northern Illinois" ( N. Ill, Marshall, Miami, Toledo). What's the balance? I'm looking at the glass half full, you are looking at it half empty. It's still the same.

And on Tranghese...

Not sure of outright matchup's Dave, but if the MAC beats the hell out of the Big East next year and out duels them in any standards you set down as what makes a better conference, I expect a letter to be written from you to the Commish on the unfairness....ok?...LOL.

And since when are you high on Pitt? Way to try and slip that in there...LOL.

On WVU...

Come on Dave. Don't you want your Mountaineers to earn it? Don't tell me a few fireworks and those little BCS patches they wear on the uni's would turn you to the Dark Side of the Force? If WVU gets in, and say Akron ( for Kevin's sake) goes undefeated and dealt a Goodyear blimp trip up to Motown, would you be able to look Kevin in the eye?...LOL. Nevermind ever visiting Akron Ohio ever again. Your BANISHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA.

And I'm with you on Tulane and Cowen. Let them tear the whole joint down. The wrecking ball will be on loan from the good folks of Dekalb Illinios.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:09 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

78--

I'm only going to respond to the WVU segment right now, because it's pretty easy to do so. Everything else will come later when my boss isn't around, and I have more time.

Next year will be WVU's ONLY CHANCE. I understand this, and will hope and pray that the Mountaineers get that chance. Dunno if they will, but I figure they'll stand as good a chance at winning the Big East as anyone else. The Big East will be relegated to the domain of the MAC, C-USA, and Mountain West in 2005. I understand this to be so. If, because the conference gets that undeserved BCS bid, and my Mountaineers get that juicy payout with a 9-3 record and then get kicked around in the Fiesta Bowl or Orange Bowl (dunno who has the title game, I know they won't be there, wherever that is), why would I complain? It's a one-time opportunity, and I'll take it, cheap as it may be. (No one from FSU was crying unworthiness when they got a BCS bid from winning their substandard conference; the only complaintants were the likes of us...)

Dave
Old 09-26-2003, 08:39 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Dave...

My quick anger response was in light of your ( and Purple as well) symbolic gesture of throwing FSU out as a means to end the debate, IMO. If that's the case, I'll throw out Ohio State last year who could have beat FSU with one Krenzel and Clarett tied behind their back. That means Ohio State's dominance eliminates the ACC ( and FSU too) from last year as being a BCS conf. It makes no sense to me.
But, perhaps you didn't read carefully or comprehensively enough. My point, FSU disregarded, is that the MAC hasn't proven that last Saturday was anything more than a crazy fluke. If MAC teams like Marshall, Toledo, and Bowling Green pulled out these types of wins more regularly... it IS about consistency.
Why did the ACC run out and steal away Miami and VT? The Canes and Hokies represent strong, consistent programs in the money-making field of college football. Does it ever bother you that they've pulled this off now, and not, say, in 2005, while or after the new TV contracts are being negotiated? Do you think there was genuine concern that Maryland, NC State, and Virginia wouldn't be consistent enough, and that ESPN and the other conferences might have suggested that time for a playoff between MWC, C-USA, Big East and ACC teams was right and appropriate, essentially stripping the ACC of its automatic BCS bid, and forcing FSU to win an extra game? The ACC WAS in trouble, 78. Aside from its one school, it was a glorified, smaller MAC. They solved that problem, and how.

Quote:
The notion that FSU ( and it is true) could hammer any MAC team is rediculous for an automatic bid for the ACC. ONE SCHOOL IS NOT A CONFERENCE...ATLEAST IN THE REAL CONFERENCES ( sorry Dave, history is on my side, and the Big Ten and Pac Ten have been easily the most competitive and balanced conferences in the last decade out of BCS automatic bidders). Something just doesn't sit well with me when you look at it that way. That kind of thinking is clearly not in the spirit of college footballs' root. Competitive conferences are the goal of football fans, not the mockery that is the ACC. The last ACC champion that wasn't FSU before the BCS was Virginia in 95 ( Tiki Barber express). That team got rewarded with a trip to the Peach Bowl. The Peach Bowl? You'd never see FSU get dealt such a fate even back then.
And again, I'll just point out that you've taken one weekend's rare and wonderful occurrence and gone too far with it. In history (and some of these matchups are ancient history, although I've included this year's results on one or two occasions, but may have missed something somewhere...)

In 54 matchups between current MAC members and current ACC members, the teams of the ACC are 45-8-1.

Are the tides of change upon us? Difficult to see, the future is. Always in motion, is the future. But, there's no real reason to suggest that the MAC is somehow as strong as the ACC. UNC (who, with NCSU has played the most games v the MAC) is worst against the MAC, at 9-3.

(As a completely unrelated aside, my college alma mater appeared in the annals of three ACC teams, and was a whopping 4-0 'gainst the ACC. Of course, all of these games were played back in the '30s and '40s, before Division III existed, and Carnegie Tech was the school's name...)

Quote:
On the MAC and ESPN...

Well, how else can the MAC get some dough Dave? If N. Ill goes undefeated last year, we have to let the glorious FSU regime get hammered by Georgia in the Superdome, remember? The Noles get that 14 million dollar payout for beating the snot out of the academic scools ( how Wake and Duke even associate with FSU on any level has to be a slap in the face to every alum of those schools). I'm not going to put too much heat on the MAC for expansion and looking for a few deals. When your conference's teams are kicking the sh** out of the alleged " big schools" and getting a date in Detroit in mid December ( sounds like a prison sentence) for hardly any cash, then you have to do what you have too. I'll give the MAC a lot of wiggling room for their plight there.
This idea of marginalization would be fine, and lord knows I've argued it on any number of occasions, but the facts are pretty plain. The MAC loses 9 out of 10 matchups against the Big 6 conferences most years, if not all 10. That they've managed four wins in one season looks more like a fluke. As Purple suggested, and I supported, let this be a more common occurrence, and then... well... you know. The MAC gets kicked to the curb. But, first, they have to prove it.

Quote:
On the MAC vs the Big East for 2004...

Sure, not true yet Dave, but based on this year, and throwing out Miami and VT, who is " winning" so far? It's not even close IMO. What makes one a better a conf. then the other Dave? I've been using BCS wins because I'm trying to fight fire with fire here. But I'm sure under any reasonable guidelines to compare who's better, the MAC is ATLEAST holding it's own against the CURRENT Big East minus Miami and VT, which will be true next year. The MAC has a few more " Temples", big deal. The MAC also has a few more " Northern Illinois" ( N. Ill, Marshall, Miami, Toledo). What's the balance? I'm looking at the glass half full, you are looking at it half empty. It's still the same.
Not so, sir. Not so. Syracuse, as mentioned above, outscored UCF by 21. Throw out the VT 24pointer over UCF... Pitt by 40 over Kent. Pitt by 21 over Ball. Pitt loses by 4 to Toledo. There are several matchups remaining, though most with UConn.

SU plays Toledo this weekend, as BC plays Ball State. The SU-Toledo game will be an interesting result. The pressure will be on the Rockets to prove they can beat the Big East on the road...
WVU plays UCF in several weeks. UConn destroyed Buffalo, and has matchups remaining against Kent, Akron, and Western Michigan, all teams the Huskies should be able to beat.
Also, note that BC annhilated that mostly-same Rockets team in Detroit last year... BC put up 42 in the first half alone.

Where are the matchups versus BGSU, NIU, and Marshall? I hear you crying. Sadly, absent this year. I don't know why WVU dodges Marshall... but two of WVU's highest point totals in school history came at the Herd's expense: 92 and 81. Would they fare better than Buffalo, Akron, Kent, and UCF? More than likely. But, there's little historical evidence to sugget that they would. I know... I know.. it's a different day. But, still... there's no reason yet to suggest that the tables have turned.

I'll just go ahead and point out I have NO problem with someone, say, the NCAA, coming and forcing certain scheduling matchups. None whatsoever. As long as the game is becoming (has become?) a national one, let the scheduling be done on a national basis, with an eye toward like-for-like, instead of this Goliath vs the Ant crap we see more often than not (yes, Bill Snyder, I mean you...)

Quote:
And since when are you high on Pitt? Way to try and slip that in there...LOL.
Never suggested I was high on Pitt, 78. I merely noted that in three matchups vs the MAC, Pitt had won two by a fair sum. Gotta figure they would have won at Heinz Field, too. Toledo couldn't beat UNLV on the road... UNLV isn't Pitt. At least, I don't think they are...

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 02:17 PM   #15
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Mac is not looking too hot after this weekend.....

Marshall lost to Troy State 33-24

Toledo got pounded by Syracuse 34-7

All that being said Miami(OH) did have a nice win over Cincinnati, and Northern Illinois beat Iowa State.

Joey