Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Whitlock: Ban Mark Cuban from arenas

Quote:
Stern should begin with a symbolic 13-day suspension of Cuban to start the 2006-07 season, then go with a season-long ban if Cuban acts up again.

Cuban's behavior and the conduct of Dallas coach Avery Johnson and superstar Dirk Nowitzki during the just-completed NBA Finals warrant far more drastic action than the $250,000 fine Stern leveled on Cuban before Game 6.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab2pos2

Whitlock is an idiot. Cuban is the best owner in sports. MJD said it best: http://www.themightymjd.com/2006/06/...-cuban-banned/

I'm guessing the only one in favor of this is that guy to who registered to say he hates Mark Cuban. Regardless, Cuban seems to be the most polarizing figure in sports this side of Barry Bonds.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Why do people like Cuban as an owner? It just boggles my mind that people like Cuban as an owner, it makes no sense. He acts like a child, completely makes the organization look bad. His knowledge of the game is minimal, but he runs his mouth enough to abuse his position and get people to believe some of the crap that comes out of his mouth.

Cuban's actions during this NBA Finals was an absolute joke and he took away from the Series by his stupidity and childness. Whether he did it on purpose or is a complete moron does not matter, it should not have happened. It was a great post-season, up until Cuban decided that he wanted to be the story of the Finals.

Cuban is a joke and his whining is terrible for the game.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Yea, it's beyond me also. Somehow there's either a take it or leave it mentality with him to some fans. I don't know the man but have read pro & con about him. For all the good I've read, kudos. For his reactions during the games? Childish...

Just being an owner shouldn't be something that gives him carte blanche on acting out his feelings. Temper tantrums by players gets discipline but nothing for a guy that owns a team??? Ridiculous...

The argument that his antics helps put pressure for the league to change? Ludicrous...

So the league should do something if he can't control himself but chooses instead to backdoor the NBA by playing to the fans for support cuz he's a martyr...
Old 06-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Simple entitlement mindset Tark and Doug...that's why. While you guys refer to the "good of the game," most people today don't understand the simple concepts of respect, loyalty, not burning the house that shelters you, and work ethic (Cuban doesn't improve his product as tray accurately noted in the other thread). If you guys had his power, working on the "good of the game" would be of great importance to you.

It's nothing new in our society. That's why people with an actual work ethic and a humble nature have no importance anymore. People with power ENTITLE what they've worked hard for and claim it as something they have a right over. Sadly it will never change the way younger people embrace it in bulk nowadays.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78

It's nothing new in our society. That's why people with an actual work ethic and a humble nature have no importance anymore. People with power ENTITLE what they've worked hard for and claim it as something they have a right over. Sadly it will never change the way younger people embrace it in bulk nowadays.
Agreed, Buckeye, tho I'd like to reiterate "not all young people" in case some knucklehead tries to spin that into an argument...
Old 06-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
Agreed, Buckeye, tho I'd like to reiterate "not all young people" in case some knucklehead tries to spin that into an argument...
:lol: ...Yea, gotta make sure we do it "PC" sytle.

The thing I find most interesting though with SOME of the young people is that they love Cuban, but are critical of the guys I hold up like West and Riley.

It makes me laugh. People who work hard, win, and improve the house that shelters them are actually entitled to do things as they please and should have the opportunity to fail because they've EARNED that right. People who don't respect the religion shouldn't.

I don't know. The whole world is bizarro to me anymore.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
Why do people like Cuban as an owner? It just boggles my mind that people like Cuban as an owner, it makes no sense. He acts like a child, completely makes the organization look bad. His knowledge of the game is minimal, but he runs his mouth enough to abuse his position and get people to believe some of the crap that comes out of his mouth. Cuban is a joke and his whining is terrible for the game.
Sold! Good stuff Doug... I gree with you. I've said he's a good owner cuz he's passionate and spends money... but you a make very could point. Now I'm thinking I would NOT want him as an owner... just his bank roll
Old 06-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Sold! Good stuff Doug... I gree with you. I've said he's a good owner cuz he's passionate and spends money... but you a make very could point. Now I'm thinking I would NOT want him as an owner... just his bank roll
But that's the problem Steve. The guy spends money and doesn't win.

Payrolls...

2001-02 Mavs 4th...Lakers 13th
2002-03 Mavs 3rd...Spurs 17th
2003-04 Mavs 3rd...Pistons 14th
2004-05 Mavs 2nd...Spurs 23rd
2005-06 Mavs 2nd...Heat 14th

Ya know, I'm not the biggest capitalist in the world , but it seems to me that a great businessman would produce the ultimate result (yes winning and not "feelling good" or "fighting the man" or free airline tickets) while avoiding the highest salaries. At the very least, if you spend that much don't you have to win?

Want a good owner? Look in Miami, Detroit, and especially San Antonio.

I wonder how many of those fans in Dallas who got those free airline tickets used them to go to Miami and watch the parade. That would be a fine lesson if you ask me. Too bad it wouldn't make anyone "feel good."
Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Here's another column that is just staggering...at least to me. What a weak sales pitch for why he should be an NFL owner...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5714172

Old 06-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

You people just don't get it.

I really don't want to get back into the argument over why Cuban is good or bad for the game.

I will just bring up the point that he creates a family like atmosphere for the fans, players, and coaches. If I played in the NBA, I would want to know that my owner has his back and will fight for me and speak up for me.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:19 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I'm for it if for only one reason: the first time he runs on the field to complain about a call Brian Urlacher can "pretend" not to hear the whistle and tackle his ass to the ground.

Ellis...

If you had 100% ownerhsip of an NBA team, what would be the first major thing you would do? Actually, I'd like any pro-Cuban fans to answer that one.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:36 PM   #12
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Ellis...

If you had 100% ownerhsip of an NBA team, what would be the first major thing you would do? Actually, I'd like any pro-Cuban fans to answer that one.
I am not sure if I am picking up on this question. What are you asking/referring to?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

What would be your first order of business? That's my basic question. Some options: look into lowering ticket prices, promos, concentrate on the draft. You tell me.

Anything you want. You're the owner.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #14
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

For the record, I think Cuban's an ass. Let your players do the talking and shut up.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #15
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
What would be your first order of business? That's my basic question. Some options: look into lowering ticket prices, promos, concentrate on the draft. You tell me.

Anything you want. You're the owner.
Anything I wanted...

The first thing I would do is make my team a team. I would take the whole team and coaches through a number of team-uniting experiences.

First, I would throw a house party, where we can all get to know each other.

Then, I would take the team and coaches down to a charity home and help out the homeless. This will make us understand how lucky we all are. And this will build some bonds between the players and coaching staff.

Then, I would take us all paint balling. I am talking about in the woods, not with those lame-ass inflatable tubes. Paintball is a great game where each player relies on each player on his team greatly. Through the strategy and battles of the game, the players would get to know each other better and respect each other greater. ( BTW: I have never played paintball in my life.)

Then, I would take everyone camping for a night. This is a great time for everyone to sit down and get to talk about basketball, life, and whatever. We would learn to appreciate each other better and become a true team.

That is seriously what I would do. I have said all along, the teams that are a TEAM win games. I would do those three things with the players and coaching staff to help us unite as a team and as individuals.

I have never heard of any owner/coach doing anything like this and I feel that it would be an effective way to get my team together.