Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 01-07-2003, 06:13 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Five Hot Stove Offseason Winners

Quote:
The offseason isn't over, but most of the substantial moves have been made. SC's Peter Friberg warms your winter with his five winners from this baseball offseason, with a bonus honorable mention of another.
https://www.sports-central.org/sport...ticle160.shtml

This is a pretty good article on offseason moves, so check it out if you think you missed a move (hard not to!). Who do you guys feel upgraded themselves the most this offseason?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:32 PM   #2
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I think Phillies did best getting Jim Thome and getting Millwood.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:38 AM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Great article. I think the Braves have upgraded the best. Acquiring pitchers Ortiz and Byrd. Also signing Robert Fick and Johnny Estrada. I think pretty good moves for Atlanta.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
Great article. I think the Braves have upgraded the best. Acquiring pitchers Ortiz and Byrd. Also signing Robert Fick and Johnny Estrada. I think pretty good moves for Atlanta.
REALLY?!
Old 01-10-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
basballplyr12
Rookie Player

basballplyr12 is on a distinguished road

braves arent my number 1 team but they are high on my scale. i personaly think that getting rid of millwood will hurt him. not that i dont like maddox at all its just that he is getting to old and i dont see him going past 7 or 8 innings a game. as for millwood he is younger than maddox and will be more productive i believe.
basballplyr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:58 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

glad my Yanks took 2nd
Old 01-20-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
Hopefully I'm just missing the sarcasm here...because otherwise, give me a break. Ortiz is a solid pickup, but Fick is average (at best) and Paul Byrd is a stiff. And Estrada's pickup a plus? He'll be lucky to even play in Atlanta this season, if he's anywhere but Richmond, then the Braves are in trouble. You also have to look at what they gave up in the Estrada deal, they got racked over the coals by Ed Wade in that one, without question. Atlanta still might be the best in the NL East, but that doesn't say that they had the best offseason when they lost 2 of their 3 best pitchers.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:44 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Johnny Estrada was the catcher for my favorite Mi.LB team he'll b ein richmond he isn't good enough for the majors
Old 01-22-2003, 01:53 AM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Philadelphia really moved up too with Thome, Millwood and Bell.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:16 AM   #10
DocHalladay
Grizzled Veteran

DocHalladay is on a distinguished road

The Braves had a bad offseason in my mind. They addressed some issues, but their pitching got worse. They will very likely win their division next year again so it's kind of irrelevant, but losing Kevin Millwood and Tom Glavine hurts big time.

On another note, the Phillies move to get Thome is not a great one. He is the type of athlete and body type who could very likely end up with health and conditioning problems late into his career. They're commited millions and millions of dollars to a guy who could end up being a .260, 15HR, 65RBI guy by the time he reaches his late 30s. Remember Matt Williams? Well the same thing is going to happen to Jim Thome. Also, when you consider that the teams that are on the rise as franchises (Angels, Athletics, Twins, Jays, Orioles, and a few others) all are working on payrolls in the low to middle range the whole idea of spending tons of cash on free agents seems overrated to me. The best way to build a team is to find a great G.M. who is good at player evaluation and build through the draft, mid-range free agent signings, and paying "big money" for top-notch free agent prospects. When your guys are ready to sign big contracts you pick one or two guys who are irreplaceable, and trade the rest off, giving players from your minor league system a chance to step in. Also, you can supplement it all with a few timely free agent signings and trades (not big money ones though).
NFL: San Diego Chargers
DocHalladay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:31 PM   #11
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I think people say the Braves had such a bad offseason because of so much change. But if you look at the changes, its a slight downgrade on the pitching staff (assuming Hampton regains form, which I think is very possible). I think Ortiz is going to learn a lot from Maddux and Mazzone too. And the offense, its nice knowing there isn't a platoon situation at 1B anymore after getting Fick at the bargain price of $1 million. This is a team that won over 100 games last year, and they aren't much worse off, if at all, than last year.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 05:15 PM   #12
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon
I think people say the Braves had such a bad offseason because of so much change. But if you look at the changes, its a slight downgrade on the pitching staff (assuming Hampton regains form, which I think is very possible). I think Ortiz is going to learn a lot from Maddux and Mazzone too. And the offense, its nice knowing there isn't a platoon situation at 1B anymore after getting Fick at the bargain price of $1 million. This is a team that won over 100 games last year, and they aren't much worse off, if at all, than last year.
:nod: