Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Titans disgrace Terrible Towel...

Quote:
Fisher unfazed but Cowher irked by Terrible Towel stomp

ESPN.com news services

Long after Tennessee dismantled Pittsburgh to clinch the top seed in the AFC, Titans coach Jeff Fisher finally saw the tape of players LenDale White and Keith Bulluck stomping on the Steelers' signature symbol, the Terrible Towel.

Fisher didn't see any news value in the antic, but it hit a nerve in one former Steelers coach.

"Why would it be a big deal? That if we play [the Steelers] again, they'll play harder? I don't think so," Fisher told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. "They always play hard.

"I mean, I know we weren't happy to have 10,000 people in our stadium waving those yellow towels. It's a tremendous commentary on the great fan base the Steelers have, but I'm sure our guys didn't like it. They're a good football team. They have our respect, and I'm sure we have their respect. But this isn't a big deal to me."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3787880

Funny to see Bill Cowher get his panties in a bunch on CBS over this. Way to be objective! I doubt he would have cared if the Steelers had done something similar to the Titans. But I think this was a stupid thing to do because it could motivate the Steelers should they face again in the playoffs.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I don't know if Cowher would have accepted his players doing it.

As for motivation...if the Steelers need motivation from this for a playoff game, uh, really? I don't really buy that. It's a damn playoff game, they'll be motivated enough by that. It could motivate them if their next game is a regular season game and the Steelers are a middling team, though...
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Well all I can say is that it's better to disgrace the Terrible Towel than to disgrace oneselves - as the Jets, the Eagles, and worst of all, the Broncos did, in Week 16.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Don Lapre
Banned

Don Lapre is an unknown quantity at this point

Good grief, these days people desecrate the U.S. flag and it likely won't get on the news.

But we've got a group of semi-human football grunts jivin' around on a yellow football flag and it somehow becomes a BIG story?

Seriously sounds like a WWF storyline, if you ask me.

WGAFF about it?
Don Lapre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Meh, no big deal. If I was a Steelers fan (or a former Steelers coach) I guess I would be pissed off about it, but to most of us it's just a towel....besides, I didn't see the words "Terrible Towel" on it, so maybe it was just a fake one....lol
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I think the best terrible towel quote I've heard is Chad Johnson's, "I'm going to use a terrible towel as a bib" line.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

These fans that come up with these gay ass gimmicks kill me....

People are too sensitive and cry babies these days... If you are gonna swing a towel when your team beats somebody then when you lose, expect someone to stomp, or blow their nose with your stupid towel too... people dont realize it goes both ways. Just have fun with it - jeez
Old 01-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Of course this syndrome is hardly confined to sports by any means: Witness Bill O'Reilly's pathetic rant against Jay Z for his celebratory rap at one of Obama's victory parties.

O'Reilly sounded just like one of those whiny cornerbacks who want to start a fistfight every time a wide receiver does some sort of end-zone dance. Hey, dude - if you don't want him doing anything in the end zone, play better and he won't even get in there!