Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Aikman criticizes Romo on perception

Quote:
Aikman criticizes Romo on perception

ESPN.com news services

James Hasty talks about who is responsible for the Cowboys' locker room problems

Tags: NFL, Dallas Cowboys, Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, Adam Jones
The sniping that has followed the end of the Dallas Cowboys' disappointing season continues this week.

On Tuesday, after a Dallas newspaper report of the team's implosion, former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman was critical of current QB Tony Romo in an interview with Michael Irvin on Irvin's radio program.

"I think maybe things happened so quickly for Tony in terms of obscurity to all of a sudden national spotlight that he hasn't fully grasped what being the Cowboys quarterback is all about," Aikman said to Irvin. "And you don't go to Cabo the week before a playoff game. You just don't do it.

"It didn't take away from his preparations. I know that. I mean, everything he says is I think accurate. I don't think that had any bearing.

"But to say, 'I don't worry about perception,' you better worry about perception, because it's a big part of making it through some very difficult times."

Romo famously vacationed in Cabo San Lucas with girlfriend Jessica Simpson during the bye week before last year's NFL playoffs.

Romo, for his part, told the Racine Journal Times this week that: "You never win the big one until you win the big one. Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin were fired before they ended up going on their playoff run last year and winning the Super Bowl. Three games before the playoffs, neither one of them were coming back.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

Okay for Aikman to criticize? Is he justified?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The jewelry he has gives him the leeway to criticize in this case. If he hadn't won those Super Bowls then who is he to say?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

He's the best QB the Cowboys ever had... 3 SB's man... he can say whatever he wants!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Romo's going to Cabo San Lucas during a bye week is no worse than when Donovan McNabb ran away to Arizona during a bye week in 2003 because he couldn't take the totally justifiable heat he was getting from those "mean," "nasty" fans in Philly.

And come to think of it, just like Romo, McNabb has never won the big one either.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

McNabb has at least won a playoff game though.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Yup... until Romo wins a playoff game he will never be an elite QB. And not even a playoff game... he hasn't won an "important" game as of yet. Their last regular season game where all they had to do was win and they were in was pretty much a playoff game if you ask me... and he choked once again.

McNabb over Romo anyday IMO
Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Hell, the whole damn Cowboys team choked in the game against Philly, not just Romo. It was like they hadnt picked up a football in 3 months. Can't put that one on Romo's shoulders alone.

Romo is going to have to do something soon before Jerry starts looking for another QB. Things arent looking good in Dallas in my opinion
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

No, not entirely but in general Romo has checked out once December rolls around. He was brutal against the Ravens and the Steelers this year.

Last year he was brutal against Philly and Washington and decent against Carolina but nothing special.

In '06 he was awful against the Saints and Philly in December.

He has 8 games in his career where he posted a sub 60.0 rating and 7 of those have come in December. He mentally checks out when the team needs him to be playing his best ball.

Aikman is probably right in the sense that he went from nobody to somebody in the blink of an eye and never really had to deal with the pressure or expectations that go with being a top player at his position. He has probably always coasted by on his good looks and ability and you can't succeed solely on ability in the NFL they eat you alive if you can't grasp the mental and psychological toughness it takes to play QB.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Romo is no worse in cold weather than Aikman's other successors have been.

And not being able to handle the elements has been a problem in Dallas for a very long time: Dating all the way back to the Ice Bowl in 1967, the Ice Bowl II at Philly in the 1980 NFC championship game, and the infamous Leon Lett-driven loss at home to Miami on Thanksgiving Day of 1993 (in an ice storm), this has been something that has perpetually haunted them.