Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #46
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Explain to me how it is McNabb has significant culpability in the Eagles going 1-6-1 in close games this year.

Was it his fault the Giants and Cowboys scored 36 and 41 points respectively in those losses? One would like to think if you score 31 and 37 points you should win the game.

McNabb was not great in the Skins losses but he didn't do anything to lose those games and them losing probably had more to do with an inability to run the ball in those two games.

They lost the Bears game due to an inability to convert on two short yardage 4th downs. In both instances they took the ball out of McNabb's hands.

I'll give you the Bengals game McNabb was brutal in that game.

I'll say it again not having a capable backup to Westbrook kills the Eagles offense. When Westbrook is out teams now the Eagles are only going to run the ball 15-20 times because they know Buckhalter cannot handle 20-25 touches a game and the offense becomes too predictable. They don't have to honor the run and just lay back and play pass defense because they know the Eagles will only make a token effort to run it.

In the games where Westbrook got the ball 20 or more times the Eagles were 5-1 in the regular season and 2-0 in the playoffs. In the games where he did not get the ball 20 times they were 4-5-1 in the regular season and lost the only playoff game where he did not get the ball. The Steelers were the only quality team they beat without Westbrook and that was simply because the defense played out of its mind in that game. The rest were either blowout wins where he played little in the second half or against mediocre teams like Cleveland and San Francisco.

Quarterback is not the issue in Philly it is what they have to compliment the QB that is. The notion that going to Kolb is a good idea is laughable considering he showed nothing to lead anyone to believe he is ready to be a starter in the NFL when he did play this year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #47
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well whose fault is it when a team goes 1-6-1 in games decided by 7 points or less?

Whose fault is it when a team has a +127 point differential over the course of the (regular) season, yet finishes only three games over .500? (By contrast, Carolina's point differential was +85 and the Panthers were eight games over .500).

The team's leaders, that's who - and that means the head coach and the quarterback.
Dude... they lost some tuff ones... big deal... they made it into the playoffs???

My team went 11-5 and didnt even make the playoffs.... and I'm not calling for anyone's head???

And also... don't compare them to Carolina because the 1st half of the season the NFC East was a BEAST... Cowboys, Giants, and even the Redskins (before they fell apart) were all good teams. That was a nasty division to be in this season.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #48
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The Eagles point spread is a bit misleading simply because they plastered some crappy teams and caught others at the right time. They beat the Cowboys in the last game by 38, the Rams in the opener by 35, the Cardinals when they were still mailing it in by 28, a crappy Browns team by 20, and a bad Seahawks team by 19. They were only blown out in the Ravens game which they lost by 29.

The Cards game essentially cancels out the Ravens game and you end up with an 111 point spread from 4 games.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #49
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Show me a team that can't win unless they can blow an opponent out and I'll show you a team that has no heart.

It's just like in horse racing, where often if a horse gets an easy lead, he goes on to win gate-to-wire; but if some other horse runs with him, he falls apart like a $20 suit in a driving rainstorm.